• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

3/10 South of San Antone Dual Sport Riders

Saturday or Sunday

• Saturday

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sunday

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Either

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aspear

Reaction score
First Name
Samuel
Last Name
Hastings
Planning has begun for the second South of San Antone dual sport ride.
this will likely be a monthly deal, with work, family the ranch, Ionly have so much time to devote to planning/routing/pre running(yes I plan to start pre running these routes). if someone ants to offer up routes to make this more often have at it!

3/10/19 a route has been made.
we will head generally south from my gate, through union valley, pandora, gillett, harmony, and helena. we will use Nordheim as a lunch/ turn around sport. Edgar and Gladys Cafe was a good sport to eat during the original eagle ford boom, im sure it is still great. from there we willl head back up north through cotton patch, garfield, new davy, old davy(yes, you read that correctly) to nixon(the husky will need gas!) which the folks who rode down can use as a highway hub to get home, then a few miles back through union valley to my gate for the rest of us.

if saturdays work better than sundays let me know, actually. lets make a poll

here is the gpx. let me know if you have any issues
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iIFViB3gtTvvSQcLZADQfZPvtQnOk6vu

My gate

29.3383361, -97.9039436

Kick stands up at 10am

Interactive Google map,

In:
Aspr
Southtex
Mudslick

Last edited:
The roads will be muddy, but they do have a bottom. If anyone wants to trailer, there’s plenty of room to park.

What he said.

4e4edc8a228ed5a97c76b7850b498e01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go with y'all but I have to wax my KTM this weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This sounds like fun and I just might be able to make it. How many miles do you plan on riding ? Do you have a lunch spot in mind ? Did I miss the departure time ? What would you say is the average speed on gravel roads ?

This sounds like fun and I just might be able to make it. How many miles do you plan on riding ? Do you have a lunch spot in mind ? Did I miss the departure time ? What would you say is the average speed on gravel roads ?
10 am(edited original post to reflect this, let me add up mileage stand by. it should be sloppy, so slow enough we dont fall in the mud. southtex and I usually run around 40-50 in the dry. jmz says the rodeo is a good lunch spot.

aprox 98 miles from my gate to my gate

If its muddy, my motto will be the "go ahead, I'll catch up at the crash site" phrase.

Do you happen to have a gpx for this btw ?

If the roads are the same roads used on the Lone Star Loop, I did those a few weeks ago and found a couple spots where I had difficulty. That is probably more to do with the fact that I was by myself and new to riding in mud, so I was probably over cautious. I don't know. At one spot, pretty close to Gonzales, I tried to get toward the side, out of the ruts and all that, but found the mud to be super slick and over ankle deep. Slick like drilling mud, but that black gumbo sort of thick, sticky mess. I didn't go down, but nearly did. I got myself in a bind where I stalled in the mud and being a bit short-legged for the KLR, didn't have the confidence to try to get back going on the bike. In shame I got off the bike and extracted myself and bike from that mess by walking beside the bike and using the throttle and clutch to get the bike out under power.

Going out there again with a group sounds like a lot more fun. Count me in.

Some pics I took along the way:
IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

Gpx is available, I can email it. Not sure how to attach here

Hey Jwaller, I think we met at the breakfast ride to Lampases. You rode to Luckenbach and then got smarter than the rest of us. Hope ya make it

I hope you can make it Justin. I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to mud and sand. We can struggle together.

The gpx is good . It came right up in OsmAnd

In a bar in acuna called ma crosby's?

Nah, I had to sell my time machine. ;)

I'm out today, oversleep, not feeling so grate :puke: Drunk too many tequila shots :party:, ate too much blackbird pie :eat3:

Next time :pirate::flip:

159 miles for me.
Thanks for coming yall!

Mud wasn't as bad as I expected
ed76060a5e2437b5a2952621a4eace0c.jpg
919b06fa61fee56c37fb98b5cd8cde40.jpg
5c8c5f6eb27ca407324ebcff4e13d2a8.jpg
d3d9d387fbdbde10f3149beac0f073ef.jpg
a62fab894ff3274974fceb4ad15df9ae.jpg

Back