• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

3 Days West Of San Antonio

Reaction score
No we did not ride to California (3 days going west). Another inmate and I did have some really nice dual sport riding for 3 days in the areas west of San Antonio.

There were some Texas State Parks that I had never been to, Seminole Canyon and Devils River State Parks. Thought it would be a good idea to visit these and combine in some off pavement riding if possible. So to start we set up camp in an RV park just outside of Del Rio.

Day 1 - Seminole Canyon State Park and Langtry, Texas

We had an 8:30 AM start from Del Rio and headed up the highway to Seminole Canyon State Park. You have to do the tour to actually go down into the canyon. The tour started at 10 AM and was about a 1.5 hour hike. The ranger was very knowledgeable and this was well worth doing.

View of the canyon from the overlook.
XXTRBJM.jpg

The main attraction is a cliff overhang/cave cliff dwelling where people lived as far back as 4000 years ago. They found lots of artifacts.

Here is the recessed cave/over hang.
q6t5cla.jpg

Qr2IGcQ.jpg

There are some very nice petroglyphs to see.
kqpGUNs.jpg

OZjvnzq.jpg

Seminole Canyon is well worth seeing!

We headed on up the highway a few miles and stopped in to see the law west of the Pecos.
3q9le1j.jpg

alRqw96.jpg

After giving Lilly our regards we beat a path north up a fast gravel road and enjoyed the long rolling hills of the west Texas desert terrain.

iluWrT0.jpg

After about 30 or 40 miles you drop down into a valley and find the beautiful Pecos River.

l4a6UXv.jpg

Qb7TR6W.jpg

At this point we picked up a small paved ranch road and headed back to Del Rio.

Last edited:
Day 2

There was a very heavy fog coming off of Lake Amistad. So we had a slow start on day 2. We didn't roll out till about 10 AM. That lake sure puts a lot of humidity in the air!

We headed to Devils River State Park for day 2. This involved about 50 miles of highway and then 30 miles west down a fast gravel road. Once we got into the state park the road got a bit rougher for a few miles. You then have to hike in to the canyon and river. So we had about a 2 hour hike. This state park is targeted toward folks that canoe or kayak the river. So not much of interest except the scenery. It also is a fairly new state park. So still being developed.

The parking area where we started our hike.

7e7vKv3.jpg

I forgot to bring my camera on the hike!

Heading back to Del Rio you wind through some beautiful canyons.

4DbYxV4.jpg

Nice ride on day 2. We have great weather for these rides.

Day 3

On our 3rd day we packed up relocated from Del Rio to an RV park south of Camp Wood, Tx. right on the Nueses River. Nice place. This was a relaxed day. We messed around most of the day trying to figure out what RV park to stay at.

6gYGIov.jpg

On day 4 (3rd day of riding) we had a relaxed start to let things warm up a bit. It had gotten down to 38 degrees during the night. Brrr. I had a 0 degree sleeping bag. So I slept warm and cozy. But getting up in the morning was a cool challenge! Had not thought to get any fire wood. So it was a very cool morning. The following night got down to 37 degrees. But we did have fire wood. Made a big difference!

For our 3rd day of riding we rode a county road that went north west from Camp Wood and then came back north east to the highway near Rocksprings. There were at least 10 bump gates. Those things took some practice! Beautiful ride though!

rWaJsHP.jpg

joyh7wP.jpg

We had 5 stream crossings. Great fun!

Well that was it. Packed up and headed home to get ready for Thanks Giving.

Neat country. I've never been to these State Parks. On my list now, thanks.

needs to be a bit more clear about bump gates, bump gates 2 WR250 8(along with some help from DR350). I think sometimes he closed his eyes and hoped for the best.

needs to be a bit more clear about bump gates, bump gates 2 WR250 8(along with some help from DR350). I think sometimes he closed his eyes and hoped for the best.

Yes, those bump gates can be a bit challenging. After about 5 of them I think I finally got the hang of it.

Back