• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

3 Medina County 250 Adventure Motorcycle Ride - Saturday, 1/20/18-Castroville, Texas

Reaction score
First Name
Sander
38281639414_5232c220b8_m.jpg
32037690350_047edb4ff2.jpg

A Texas Adventure Riders Association San Antonio Chapter Event

What?
A 250-mile adventure motorcycle ride entirely in Medina County Texas. Saturday, January 20, 2018 What happened on II - Click Here

The ride will start and end at the Alsatian Steinbach House Park in Castroville, Medina County, Texas.

Breakfast
The breakfast spot is Sammy's Restaurant this year as it's right across the street from the Alsatian Steinbach House Park. I'll probably get there by 745a or so. If Sammy's Restaurant becomes too crowded Haby's Alsatian Bakery is available for take out pastries and kolaches, its located directly across US90. And the original home of the bike breakfasts, Taqueria San Juan, is two minutes west on US90.

I'll be handing out unofficial starter stickers at breakfast at Sammy's Restaurant or at the Alsatian Steinbach House Park.
38542071095_9e0ddd5e97_t.jpg

The Route
This is a self-guided GPS ride, as the ride is self-guided a group will need to keep moving to get in the 250 miles before dark, my group did last year but not the 1st.
Additional Notes: Different legs of the route come close to touching near Quihi, they don't but it will require attention to stay on the proper course.

Of course its all about fun, camaraderie and being safe. Some will focus on completing the route, others will just relax and ride to their cut off time and head home.

My group will depart about 9a, subject to change.

Lodging / Dining +
The Alsatian Steinbach House Park or Castroville Park and Ride are options for parking for those that are trailering over. Lodging - The Hotel Alsace & Spa. Camping is available at the Castroville Regional Park, 816 Alsace Street, on the Medina River.

Fremdes Pizza is recommended for anyone interested in a pre or post ride dinner. I plan on having dinner at Fremdes on Friday night before the ride if anyone is in town and wants to join in, about 730p. They have live music both Friday and Saturday night. https://www.fremdes.com/about-fremdes/ Another option is Cora's known for "The Best Nachos in Texas".

If a non-riding companion needs something to do while you are out riding click HERE

A weather date decision will be made at least by the Wednesday before. The ride is on as scheduled.

3 Medina County 250 Adventure Motorcycle Ride Map
*Disclaimer - I build routes on my computer using the Roads of Texas map book as my guide which is the best and most accurate I have used, but not perfect, and Furkot's mapping program. I also haven't ridden all of the route since II. So the route may not be 100% accurate.

25342927268_ac4f1d8370_o.jpg

Medina County is immediately west of Bexar County in southwest Texas
31649395662_09a3e38b25_o.jpg

For those that join my group
When I lead a group I don’t stop for lunch, I have several nature break stops and a stop midway out in the country for snacks or a sandwich I bring with me, then of course there are the planned fuel stops.

I stop at every non-obvious corner and wait for the entire group and make sure the last rider sees the proper way to go, there is NEVER a need to ride above your comfort level to keep up, we won’t leave you, I encourage riders to spread out to avoid the dust. The daisy chain method also works well, especially when its extremely dusty to keep the group even more spread out, the rider in front makes sure the rider behind makes the corner and so on until the sweep rider makes the corner. As long as the rider in front takes responsibility for the rider behind no one gets lost.

Please tell someone in the group if you decide to break off from the group, that prevents you being searched for.

Safety and rider etiquette
Having your emergency contact information on you and having that information readily available is critical. This is important not just for group rides but everyday. Even though you may have a buddy along on the ride you may get separated on the road.
At minimum:
Name
Your street
Your town, state, zip code
Driver's license # & state
Emergency contact
Emergency Phone
I taped mine on the bottom of the visor of my dual sport helmet, I also taped another on the back side of my fairing near the dash. The important thing is that it is easy for anyone to find.

Respect landowners and other road users, slow down and ride quietly when passing people, vehicles, animals, homes, etc.

2018 Adventure Breakfast & Ride Calendar HERE

Last edited:
I'm in. I rode this last year and it was a blast.
Don't miss this one you will be sorry.

Looks like I am working.:-(

I rode this in January and it was GREAT!!! If you can make it but are undecided, I HIGHLY recommend this one. Sander puts on an awesome ride!:rider:

Have a good time and be safe.

I am in if I get healed up. Missed it last year, would love to do it this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking for some feedback. I have a BMW R1150GS. I am fairly experienced in dirt (raced Motocross for 12 years). I have been riding Jeep roads and such on my GS. (County Roads 308, 309, 310) out in the Llano area. I do water crossings (there a fairly long one on CR 308 crossing Sandy creek I have done without any problems). Do you think my GS would be ok for the Medina ride, I would really like to join everyone if you think it would be ok.

Quote I would really like to join everyone if you think it would be ok.

No problem. You will be OK on this ride.

Perfect, I am stoked! See everyone on the 20th!

Looking for some feedback. I have a BMW R1150GS. I am fairly experienced in dirt (raced Motocross for 12 years). I have been riding Jeep roads and such on my GS. (County Roads 308, 309, 310) out in the Llano area. I do water crossings (there a fairly long one on CR 308 crossing Sandy creek I have done without any problems). Do you think my GS would be ok for the Medina ride, I would really like to join everyone if you think it would be ok.

The route is big bike friendly. If you have done those roads this route will be a breeze! 3 water crossings at most, concrete bottoms. One may be dry, the other 2 are very shallow, just stay in the tire tracks as normal.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NaUJFbZyhw"]II Medina County 250 Adventure Motorcycle Ride - Saturday, 1/14/17-Castroville, Texas - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGU9aLtYNZA"]II Medina County 250 Adventure Motorcycle Ride - Saturday, 1/14/17-Castroville, Texas - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3sm45K1h5o"]II Medina County 250 Adventure Motorcycle Ride - Saturday, 1/14/17-Castroville, Texas - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Thanks!

Reno- what tire are you using? I rode my f800gs w/tkc80's last year, contemplating riding new to me r1200gs with Conti Trail Attack2's , haven't taken it off pavement yet, your thoughts on tires for dry dirt and gravel roads.
If I take the 1200, I can loan the 800 to young fellow in Navy stationed in San Antonio who has been on several pavement rides with us on a Suzuki 1200 Intruder, (not the ideal bike for dirt roads).

Have purchased the Trail Attack 2’s yet?

The Trail Attack2’s are about the same as the Metzeler Tourance I will be running on my R1150 GS. If you are concerned about traction the TKC 70’s would offer more traction in the soft stuff. I have found the Metzeler Tourance to work well for Jeep roads and water crossings so I think the Trail Attack 2’s should perform about the same. Hope this helps[emoji846]. Give me a call at 512-738-5911 if you would like to discuss.

sanderjavant, new guy here. I have committed to 2 nights hotel in Hondo so will be there Saturday morning gassed up (unleaded that is).

Btw here is the long term out look for 20Jan18 from accuweather.com . Still seems doable so far. Sunday morning shows to be clear skies

frcst20.jpg

Last edited:
This just popped up on my radar. Its a definite maybe :)

Reno- what tire are you using? I rode my f800gs w/tkc80's last year, contemplating riding new to me r1200gs with Conti Trail Attack2's , haven't taken it off pavement yet, your thoughts on tires for dry dirt and gravel roads.
If I take the 1200, I can loan the 800 to young fellow in Navy stationed in San Antonio who has been on several pavement rides with us on a Suzuki 1200 Intruder, (not the ideal bike for dirt roads).

41LchA3E3bL._SX355_.jpg

I See your concern

pr013_01.jpg

Mine are brigstone battax adventure, only slightly more aggressive but still essentially a street like yours. Did about 50 miles worth last week on gravel/dirt, albeit dry, seemed confident enough.

Obviously, your results will vary

Last edited:
I just stumbled on this ride opportunity. New to the San Antonio area (1 week new) R1200GS just put on 30/70 tires on spare rims. I am IN hopefully will not get cancelled. Does the ride continue with rain? Also this site http://txadvriders.org/upcoming-events/san-antonio-chapter-events/ says the ride is the Saturday before MLK which is the 13th, a type O? just want to make sure the 20th is solid

Phil

Last edited:
Does the ride continue with rain? Also this site http://txadvriders.org/upcoming-events/san-antonio-chapter-events/ says the ride is the Saturday before MLK which is the 13th, a type O? just want to make sure the 20th is solid

Phil
Good questions.
It depends on the amount of rain, some rain, yes, all day deluge, no. Of course factoring in the temperature. The stickers are printed with the 20th, so I hope not to move it. I'll be watching the weather and if necessary plan to make a weather call the Wednesday before. However with Texas weather it could be later than that.

This is the main and official thread for information and changes for the 3 Medina County 250 Adventure Motorcycle Ride - Saturday, 1/20/18-Castroville, Texas ride, that link is for 2017, note bottom right of that page has the 2018 link. Link on the same site for the 2018 edition- http://txadvriders.org/2017/12/12/3-medina-county-250-adventure-ride-saturday-1-20-2018/

The ride was pushed back a week this year for consistency to match the other Adventure Breakfasts, all in 2018 are scheduled for the 3rd Saturday for the month.

2018 Adventure Breakfast & Ride Calendar HERE

Did 228 miles in prep work for medina. Even dropped the new bike on some soft grass under a bridge :doh:(no damage). Stupid mistake (isn't it always ) Got the first "off" out of the way. Hit a patch of sand and almost lost it too but got slowed down in time to save it. All and all quiet the adventure (just like it says on the fuel tank :lol2:)

Strom, I have stopped counting my drops, i count my no-drop trips now. my GS is heavy after 7 pick ups. But will do it again i am sure and looking forward to it

Back