• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

3 Medina County 250 Adventure Motorcycle Ride - Saturday, 1/20/18-Castroville, Texas

Reaction score
First Name
Sander
3 Medina County 250 Adventure Motorcycle Ride - Saturday, 1/20/18-Castroville, Texas - What happened?

Add your stories, pictures, videos, etc.

A lot of hardy adventures and adventure on a nasty day! Slicks roads, bad vision (fogged up and wet face shields), a dry gas tank, a hospital trip, a tow truck, and road closures. Gosh I love motorcycle riding!

The start at the Alsatian Steinbach House Park.

24936945717_da81cce9e7_h.jpg
DSC02992 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

39807123691_807eaf9528_h.jpg
DSC02991 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

First gas stop in Devine

39807135301_6b9dc6b1ea_h.jpg
DSC02993 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

Half way to D'Hanis break

39097496774_f228a3b4ec_h.jpg
DSC02998 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

25934859758_66625c4078_h.jpg
DSC03002 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

And we are done, 115 miles in.

25934866148_1739d8e1f6_h.jpg
DSC03004 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

Brian and Justin doing a IndyCar style wheel change, to prepare for the flatbed ride.

25934876568_d766b5a160_h.jpg
DSC03010 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr3

25934886948_76b813900f_h.jpg
DSC03012 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

Ural-lance

25934899038_310666a58c_h.jpg
DSC03022 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

38908503525_4ec1abb7b8_h.jpg
DSC03023 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

25934822538_d1312f5cbe_h.jpg
DSC03027 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

28028725449_f4ae35e6a4_h.jpg
DSC03035 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great time. Thanks for having us out.
f76de2956d133feb006b9646dcd384a4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Tire kicking at Sammy's. Kick stands up.
b62d30e956d897c26270c8c8ac035d10.jpg
d4d75d001854cc88bf60ba259c308f52.jpg

Ural rest stop. I hope Bill is all right.
7a083817ebdfb8cff2b6e1368b1f8b6c.jpg
b209b7d62bf63e2cb3bb41744249cb07.jpg

Really good turnout. This is just a portion of the bikes there.

06eeeef95e86428f75e276ff4aef56cf.jpg

The forecasters got it wrong for us today. Cool temps, gray skies and mist. The sun didn’t show it’s face til 3:10. And then disappeared shortly thereafter.

Trailside repair
20d499a30bd20938d0590674b34c76dd.jpg

Gorilla tape to the rescue
eaafa4a6a3020f763dcc3a5724b7c98e.jpg

The scene of the crime
88c1db4deafeec218c131416d1a8a3dd.jpg

Builtea proved you can roll a Ural and live to tell about it. Feel better soon Bill!

A good day for a ride in the countryside. Thanks Sander for organizing this event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Sanders for organizing this ride. Great route and cool people!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoVIqA4tXSE&t=6s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoVIqA4tXSE&t=6s[/ame]

Thanks to Sanders for putting the ride together. Also thanks to Vernon for leading a group. Glad he survived the mud slide before the water crossing! Logged 330 miles round trip from Buverde and actually had some sunshine for the last 30 miles or so! Thanks again, will look forward to the next ride!

Update on Bill. He broke nothing, just a bit banged up with pulled and/or strained muscles. He was back home, in his recliner, getting some rest and recuperation. He really got lucky, I guess. But, I'd be willing to bet he's going to be really sore in the morning. For the next several mornings.

Update on Bill. He broke nothing, just a bit banged up with pulled and/or strained muscles. He was back home, in his recliner, getting some rest and recuperation. He really got lucky, I guess. But, I'd be willing to bet he's going to be really sore in the morning. For the next several mornings.

glad to hear that. sorry, not a single pic taken her. but great ride thanks to sanders. got home, unloaded the bike and in the hot tub by 9:15 with a cold drink.
later taters,

Glad Bill is Ok. I'm sure he'll be back! Nice meeting everyone and thanks to Sander for leading our group. Have a few photos/video to post soon.

Really glad to hear that he will be OK.
I didn't make the ride yesterday, but did get out later and started to back track the route hoping to see some of you. Saw a group of 3 and a solo, but no Bill. I guess that explains why.

Take it easy Bill!! Looking forward to riding with you again!

I had a lot of fun. Great ride with great people. Thanks so much Sander for putting this on!

Richard (Trailboss) and I headed out in opposite direction than I think the entire group (we went counter-clockwise).

Colder than we expected (Three Dog Night) but the day gave way to patchy sun later in the afternoon.

Never been inside Sammy's before, that was interesting. A restaurant stuck in time. Like the 1950s. Nice of their management to let us park there.

I recognized 471 from many bicycle rides on that route. It's flat and fast and popular with the San Antonio Wheelmen.

We came to a washed out and being reconstructed bridge, which we were able to warn the group about when we met them coming the other way later in the ride.

Richard tried his throttle at the motocross track that we found. He paid the site owner $5 and signed a waiver and rode a few laps.

There are some interesting canals in the southern Medina country area.

If you're interested in something you don't see everyday, click HERE

Rich and I did the entire 250 mile route, but it ended up 280 miles due to the back track. We were hauling the mail, so to speak, and did it in a decent time. Being on KTM 500, we only had to stop and change oil twice.

Closed out the day at Fremdes pizza in Castroville. I ordered "The Fremdes", which is essentially meat lovers pizza featuring prime rib. Now, I love the location, the atmosphere, and the people working there, but I would not order that pizza again. I thought about this all night. I mean, it was ok pizza and nothing wrong with it, but I wouldn't say to Tricewife, "oh man, we gots to go to Fremdes and mosh down this amazing pizza". No, I'm not saying that.

Driving home I was thinking that Castroville really isn't that far from Schertz/Cibolo, especially on a non-commuting day. I really need to get out to more of Sander's rides.

Great people, great seeing some old friends. And I mean old, non old in the long-time friends sense. I mean some of you are just plain getting up there.

Richard (Trailboss) and I headed out in opposite direction than I think the entire group (we went counter-clockwise).

Colder than we expected (Three Dog Night) but the day gave way to patchy sun later in the afternoon.

Never been inside Sammy's before, that was interesting. A restaurant stuck in time. Like the 1950s. Nice of their management to let us park there.

I recognized 471 from many bicycle rides on that route. It's flat and fast and popular with the San Antonio Wheelmen.

We came to a washed out and being reconstructed bridge, which we were able to warn the group about when we met them coming the other way later in the ride.

Richard tried his throttle at the motocross track that we found. He paid the site owner $5 and signed a waiver and rode a few laps.

There are some interesting canals in the southern Medina country area.

If you're interested in something you don't see everyday, click HERE

Rich and I did the entire 250 mile route, but it ended up 280 miles due to the back track. We were hauling the mail, so to speak, and did it in a decent time. Being on KTM 500, we only had to stop and change oil twice.

Closed out the day at Fremdes pizza in Castroville. I ordered "The Fremdes", which is essentially meat lovers pizza featuring prime rib. Now, I love the location, the atmosphere, and the people working there, but I would not order that pizza again. I thought about this all night. I mean, it was ok pizza and nothing wrong with it, but I wouldn't say to Tricewife, "oh man, we gots to go to Fremdes and mosh down this amazing pizza". No, I'm not saying that.

Driving home I was thinking that Castroville really isn't that far from Schertz/Cibolo, especially on a non-commuting day. I really need to get out to more of Sander's rides.

Great people, great seeing some old friends. And I mean old, non old in the long-time friends sense. I mean some of you are just plain getting up there.

You make good time considering the oil changes! ha

Good news about Bill; get well soon, and thanks again for the rescue before the ride. I did not take a single picture, but will hold onto the memories forever.

Update on Bill. He broke nothing, just a bit banged up with pulled and/or strained muscles.

Thanks for the update Justin. Great to hear he isn't in worse shape, you Ural riders are tough.

Not only did Justin take Bill to the hospital, but lead the tow truck to Bill's house. Your a good man!

Fred has handled the communications and location confirmation.

Thank you Sander for organizing the ride. It was my first time participating and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Here are the pics I took.

The morning crowd at Sammy's, getting ready to go. It was both wetter and colder all day long than the weatherman forecasted.
P1200001-XL.jpg

Bob already informed everyone that we changed the oil on our KTM 500s twice during the ride (every 100 miles - just to be sure we don't blow up the engines on those unreliable, need-way-to-much maintenance Orange bikes). What he didn't tell you was we started the day by changing the steering head bearings on his bike. Routine maintenance item...every 100 hours...Here's Bob with his 500 almost back together...:)
P1200002-XL.jpg

Old School (90s era DR650 - I still love the color schemes of the 90s bikes) and New School (Honda Africa Twin). That is Rick's new Africa Twin, a bike that he gives two enthusiastic thumbs up to.
P1200003-XL.jpg

JT and Ken discussing the finer points of the might DRZ400
P1200004-XL.jpg

When the sign says "Road Closed" do they mean the road is closed for "everyone" or can motorcycles wiggle by?
P1200008-XL.jpg

We decided to have a closer look. Anytime there is a large piece of machinery sitting in the middle of the road it is a good sign that the road is closed to everyone.
P1200005-XL.jpg

If the earth moving equipment didn't dissuade you, perhaps the car-sized boulders will.
P1200006-XL.jpg

If you were still intent on finding a way through, this would probably be the factor that finally stopped you. It is one of the many canals in the area Bob already told you about. You would need ropes and tackle to haul your bike through this.
P1200007-XL.jpg

Note - Bob and I were not attempting to bypass/get through/ignore the road closed sign. I saw the earthmoving equipment ahead and decided to have a look. We had no intentions of breaking the law - I just like checking out stuff like this.

Bob
P1200010-XL.jpg

Another canal - they were everywhere
P1200012-XL.jpg

My nod to eating something a little healthy (basic dinner salad). And a cold Shiner Bock, on tap. :) Just one though, because I have to drive home in an hour.
2018012110080884-IMG_0112-XL.jpg

Half of the Fremde pizza Ken and I split. I liked it and would eat here again.
2018012110080884-IMG_0113-XL.jpg

We chase alongside and beat that West bound freight. Was quite the experience thanks sander !!!

IMG_20180120_112157344.jpg

IMG_20180120_090016777.jpg

IMG_20180120_120928434.jpg

IMG_20180120_112203151.jpg

IMG_20180120_120939028.jpg
Thanks for the update Justin. Great to hear he isn't in worse shape, you Ural riders are tough.

Not only did Justin take Bill to the hospital, but lead the tow truck to Bill's house. Your a good man!

Fred has handled the communications and location confirmation.

The result of Urals trying to climb game fences.

Yes, was really impressed how you guys stuck together for the good of the group and it's injured chase riders:thumb:. Fred helped getting the right people called out and for transportation to get bill checked out . It was hard to say if there was anything serious but good to know it turned out ok.

Sander told me that you never know what you might come across when part of the group does not catch up. I see in your photo where that ural finaly loaded up at sunset.

Ps, the ural was TOUGH . JUST LIKE IT DRIVER! Just a little fender damage and a flat tub tire.

Last edited:
IMG_20180119_181215233.jpg

IMG_20180119_181210296.jpg

IMG_20180120_120931124.jpg

IMG_20180120_085427966_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180120_085501367.jpg

Those are pics of medina county court house and criminal justice in Hondo town square. Fortunately no one encountered this

Hey I found that Urals are a little too heavy to climb game fences! Thanks to everyone for all the help and assistance, those in Sander's group that gave up the ride to stay, I owe you all a lot, maybe a breakfast at a future ride for a small start. I really owe Sander, Fred, and Justin more than I can repay for staying with the bike until the tow truck finally got there, I think about 6PM, and Justin for seeing my rig back home. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH.
The ER cleared me after poking, pushing and prodding, then x-raying my hips, the sorest part of me . No broken or cracked bones just pulled strained or bruised mussles and tendons I guess. I am now ensconced in my Lazy Boy in front of the TV where I will spend most of my time for a few days until I can move about less painfully.
Again thanks a lot to everyone and I am sorry to have ruined your day. I am looking forward to seeing all of you again on another ride soon. - Bill

Back