• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

3 Sisters, 5 guys, and a crash (Pic heavy)

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Myself and a group of friends spent the weekend in Hill Country enjoying some great weather, food and roads. We had a great time despite my wreck. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

The Players:
Me (Sean) – Z750S
Gary – CB900C
Daniel – ZRX1200
Corey – FZ1
Cody – R1

Memorable Quotes:
FYG
Whoa! That’s a big dude!
How do you get Dick from Richard?
You only bought three steaks?
You bring me Gum Gum Dum Dum.
Hey guys, we have signal!

We left Dallas just before 7am on Friday in an attempt to let the heavy rains pass. We still caught some showers but nothing of significance. I didn’t get any pictures of the exodus as the camera was tucked away in a water free location.

We followed 35 south, picked up 29 west over to Burnet and 281 south through Marble Falls.

In Johnson City we stopped for lunch and gas. It was there we met a group of Harley riders who told us of the Thunder in the Hills Rally. They were expecting 4,000 bikes in Bandera. Note: Avoid Bandera.

We cut over to Fredericksburg and followed 16 to Medina. From there it was 337 into Vanderpool.

2-337.jpg

3-337.jpg

We rented a cabin from FoxFire Cabins which was just awesome. Once there Gary unloaded some of our important cargo, while a few of us ran to Utopia for groceries.

4-cabin.jpg

On Saturday we wanted to make the Three Sisters loop of 337, 335 and 336. There weren’t a whole lot of safe spots to stop for pictures, and with the heavy traffic enforcement, I didn’t get a lot of shots on these roads. In fact I was followed by a trooper on 337 from Leakey halfway to Camp Wood.

5-337.jpg

Me courtesy of txmotofoto.com
4-5-20083346.jpg

Yours Truly

6-me.jpg

337 just before Leakey.

7-337.jpg

Gassing up in Leakey, I must have had a thought, but it got lonely and left.

10-leakey.jpg

From 336

9-336.jpg

After the loop we continued on to Lonestar Motorcycle Museum and Ace Café for lunch and a show. I had the Aussie Chunky and Cherry Pie. There’s bunched of pictures posted of the bikes there so I’ll just show my favorites.

10-mm.jpg

11-mm.jpg

12-mm.jpg

After lunch we headed up 39 to visit…

Stonehenge! Where the demons dwell
Where the banshees live and they do live well

13-sh1.jpg

14-sh.jpg

Gum Gum

15-ee.jpg

Heading back it was close to 5pm, I got the itch for a high speed run Down 187. I pulled out ahead and wound it up for the sweepers ahead. As I crested a hill, I saw a good size Doe in the ditch to my left. She was looking right at me and I was locked on her. I rolled off the throttle a little to see if she was going to make a move. As I got closer, she took a step toward the road. I slammed the throttle closed which caused a deceleration pop and she bolted out in front of me. I braked and avoided her, now rolling back up the hill at about 30 miles an hour. I turned in my seat to see her standing in the right hand ditch staring back at Gary who was now coming over the hill behind me. Thankfully, she stayed put and didn’t make another run in front of him. We’re going to have to work harder to thin the herd this season.

Back to the Cabin for dinner

18-cabin.jpg

We even had our own bike parking
19-bikes.jpg

One great “feature” of the cabin
21-service.jpg

ATTGATT
21-atgatt.jpg

Dinner
17-steak.jpg

Sunday morning breakfast was gravy-tastic
20-bfast.jpg

Heading out I decided to pull ahead and snap some pictures of the others as they rode by. Daniel went on ahead, but when I found a safe spot I pulled off and got Corey:
22-out.jpg

Followed by Gary and Cody:
23-gary-cody.jpg

60 seconds after I took this pic, my bike was on the ground.
24-z.jpg

I pulled away from that spot headed into a right hander, followed by a sharp left with a steep decline to it. Coming out of the right hander I gave the bike a little gas and it gave a wiggle so I tapped the brakes… then I didn’t have a bike under me anymore. I estimate my speed was about 8mph. I just rolled once and then sat there in the road. Another rider (Dave, David, sorry I forgot the name) coming the other stopped to help me pick up the bike and make sure it would start up again. It did and he waited for me to get back under way before he departed.

My gear would have been worse off had I just jumped into the gravel and rolled around. Nothing was torn, ripped, or even scuffed. My bike on the other hand…

25-oops.jpg

Initially I thought I must have hit some gravel or a bad spot in the road, but In the end I couldn’t tell you the line I had chosen for this turn or what speed I had planned to enter. I’m chalking this up to me flat not paying attention.

On the way home we stopped at the Fire House in Lampasas for some BBQ and cobbler.
27-cobbler.jpg

Tasty stuff.

One last shot from the road.
26-otr.jpg

Really was a great time, now to plan for that solo trip to Illinois via the Ozarks.

Last edited:
Nice report and pictures!

Sorry about the get-off but glad it wasn't worse. Some scratches on the bike and a bruised ego are the better than broken bones or broken bike.

Hope you were able to enjoy the last part of your trip still. :rider:

23-gary-cody.jpg

So I didnt know Igloo made top boxes. :lol2:

Sorry about the get-off but glad it wasn't worse. Some scratches on the bike and a bruised ego are the better than broken bones or broken bike.

I agree, and oh yes still had a ball. I was completely uninjured and the bike just has cosmetic scratches.

Main thing is you rode it home. Thats a good day. Are you able to just smooth it down a little and move on, or are you going to fix it back the way it was?

I hardly see a scratch. ;)

+1

I'm staying at the Foxfire cabins with some ADVers next weekend - they sure look nice!

Back