• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

35 years in a barn, 78 XL75

Marc B

Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Last Name
Briggs
35 years in a barn, 78 XL75 update.

My neighbor outgrew this bike around 1980 and it has sat in his Mothers barn since then, He kept telling me to go get it and finally I did, I washed off 35 years of dirt and did round 1 on it today, great compression, it's got spark, I drained the old oil and put in new, pulled the carb and it's bad, ordered a new chinese replacement today $20, I'll hold off on tires until I can get it to fire off, both the side panel tabs snapped off as I gently tried to remove them, lot's of things will need attention and I'll go at it as I can, little here and a little there.
019_zpsjvf23ss9.jpg

013_zpsynppknmh.jpg

010_zps6wui8kso.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man, when I see a find like this, so many great memories of riding dirt and minibikes with my friends as a little kid come to mind. Congrats on nabbing it and have fun.

:chug:

Nice find. That carb had little or no soft parts. I'd try a carb soak before buying a new one. Check the exhaust for mud dauber nests.:trust: Water hose works OK, but takes a while.

Yeah the muffler has nests in it but also has a hole at the up turn, I cleaned this carb up pretty good and got the floats working, bolted it up but wasn't getting fuel to the bowl, something is still plugged and that's where I put it aside and started picking up tools, I did order a new chinese carb for $20 shipped, removed both shocks and cleaned the rust off the springs with the wheel brush, that muffler is so rusty as well as the bars, chain guard the list goes on, the proper thing would be to just strip it to the frame and clean and paint but finding the time.

Hey Marc, give up on it and sell me the engine :lol2: I also found a project

xr75_zpsvakejfdg.jpg

Indeed a fine run to the mail box/neighbor across the road/Grandkids around the house runner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deWGg7YTICE&feature=youtu.be

Got her started this morning, waiting on a new petcock for the tank, not enough fuel in the bowl to rev.

Can you open and rebuild the petcock? I am guessing it has a screen, and o-ring under the lever, and then a washer with 3 holes. They are usually easy to repair/rebuild once clean.

You really don't need the screen if you use an inline filter - and the filter should be there even with a new petcock.

Engine sounds great!

Can you open and rebuild the petcock? I am guessing it has a screen, and o-ring under the lever, and then a washer with 3 holes. They are usually easy to repair/rebuild once clean.

You really don't need the screen if you use an inline filter - and the filter should be there even with a new petcock.

Engine sounds great!

Thanks, the nipple broke off when I was trying to get the old line off, :doh: there is still a quarter inch remaining but not worth R&Ring again to clean, the new one will be here before I can mess with it again next weekend as well as a new rubber tipped clutch lever as it doesn't have one at all, the switch gear is still intact with wire in bar, plan to get it running and go thru gears on jack then new tires/tubes, lots of rust cleaning and black repaint left to do on the little girl.

Last edited:
Nice find. That carb had little or no soft parts. I'd try a carb soak before buying a new one. Check the exhaust for mud dauber nests.:trust: Water hose works OK, but takes a while.

I agree. The three carbs on my 73 Suzi GT550 looked like that when I took them apart. Soaked them in Berrymans Carb Cleaner (comes in gallon can) over night and they looked like new. Yes, overnight is much longer than they recommend, but that is how I have done all my old carbs with great success. Anyway, made that big a difference. Not the first time I enjoyed that degree of success with w/Berryman's Carb Cleaner. You might try it. Think you will find you will have a much better carb than a $20 Chinese replacement. JMHO :trust:

I got it cleaned up pretty good but the new one came and I opted to slap it on, the only issue was the choke lever had a shorter elbow not allowing for frame clearance in the up position, I modded it to fit, I do have a gallon of carb cleaner on standby as well as the oem carb just in case, thanks guys for any and all suggestions, I was losing my mind with the spark coming and going, found the crack in the plug wire, did the electrical tape temporary fix and she fired up.

My PB account must be down, pics went away.

Last edited:
I forget which one I have, but it's either a right or left side cover, red, in new condition, in the garage. Lemme know if you want it.

I forget which one I have, but it's either a right or left side cover, red, in new condition, in the garage. Lemme know if you want it.

Would love to have it Shadman, no rush by any means, I have a complete DRZ-S exhaust no dents if you could ever use it, Thanks.

Awesome find! Can't wait to watch the process. Need to get started on my project to be honest, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my choice of projects to start on, the XL or the 82 450, not sure why I went after the XL being in much worse condition but it seemed like it would be an easier fix non the less, that and knowing a little history on it, good therapy just pulling a part at a time and addressing it.

I keep looking at this thread, lol. Trying to get inspiration to get going on my project. I love when these gems get another chance at life!

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

Back