• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

3rd Annual Around the Bend

From the Texas Parks & Wildlife web site.

An OHV decal is now required by law for all individuals operating an OHV in Texas in an area that is located on public land, or on lands that have been purchased with Texas Parks & Wildlife Department OHV grants.

This plated vehicles.

Glad I already got one of these for when I ride Sam Houston. :dude:

ohv_decal.jpg

From the Texas Parks & Wildlife web site.

This plated vehicles.

I don't think the sticker is needed, but they don't make it really clear. Since the vehicles need to be licensed, its not an off-road experience. If these were trails, no license would be needed and a sticker would be required. That's my guess, but it would be nice to know for sure. Also, if it was easy to get a sticker in the first place, I would just get one. But the local offices can't/don't carry the stickers, so I have to call the dept in Austin and they have to mail it. If it is required, I think you'll be able to purchase it there. I'm going to write/call and ask. Will post the answer when I hear anything.

Just called. The first 2 people I talked with didn't think they were needed. They were going to pass on my name and number to the boss to check. Also, BBRSP is NOT listed in the list of Texas places that need the sticker.

They did confirm that the vehicle needs to be licensed to be used in the BBRSP. Also, they want you to stay on the roads - no going cross country...

If I'm reading this correctly, the sticker is required when riding off-road. Public roads, paved or not, are not off-road.

From the Texas Parks & Wildlife website FAQs:

What types of vehicles are required to have a Texas OHV decal?

Any type of OHV, ATVs, motorcycles, full sized OHVs, or other types of OHVs used at venues where OHV recreation is legal and which are located on public lands, or at private OHV venues which have received TPWD OHV grant monies, are required to have a current Texas OHV decal properly mounted on the vehicle before riding.

Do street-legal vehicles need the OHV decal when riding at an OHV venue located on the public lands of Texas?

Yes, street legal motorcycles, street legal full-sized vehicles, full-sized 2-wheel drive vehicles, and 4-wheel drive vehicles need a Texas OHV decal when trail riding on public land. Use of street-legal OHVs on private land or on public roads does not require the Texas OHV decal.

I noted the following from the above quotes:

"...at venues where OHV recreation is legal"

OHV is not legal in Big Bend Ranch State Park. All vehicles are required to be street legal and must remain on the public roads in the park.

"...when trail riding on public land..."

There is no trail riding in Big Bend Ranch State Park. Vehicles may only ride on the public roads in the park.

"Use of street-legal OHVs on... public roads does not require the Texas OHV decal."

It seems very clear with that last statement. The only riding in Big Bend Ranch State Park is on public roads and the stickers aren't required when riding on public roads.

Last edited:
In Texas, I'm pretty sure that OHV refers to actual off road, unregistered vehicles. They include 4-wheeled vehicles in that description because some venues do allow unregistered off road rigs to operate. I don't think BBSP has any OHV operation whatsoever, so how can they require an OHV sticker? It's not an OHV park.

So, I think we're all in agreement here - The BBRSP does NOT require the Texas Off Highway Vehicle sticker to access the 2WD and 4WD roads in the park.

So, I think we're all in agreement here - The BBRSP does NOT require the Texas Off Highway Vehicle sticker to access the 2WD and 4WD roads in the park.
So...if I have an OHV sticker on my bike, will I have to remove it to operate in the state park?:lol2: Sorry....the Cowboys are up by 20 points at the moment over Philly, so I have too much time free time.

So is there anybody from the DFW area planning on riding to this event or does everyone trailer.

Did my first solo, non-supervised rear tire change today. Not so bad, my knuckles are still intact and with a little practice I should be able to get it down to under 30 minutes.

I wanted to push myself to learn in the event I ever needed to do it on the trail. Thanks for the lesson Rusty, you would have been proud or laughed alot. :lol2:

So we'll be trying out the famous Dunlop D606 130/90-18 at Big Bend and comparing it to my last tire. A Michelin T63 which I really liked for both on-road and off-road.

Another step closer, received a set of new tires. Offroad variety, Shinko Trailmaster. See how they work :rider:

Another step closer, received a set of new tires. Offroad variety, Shinko Trailmaster. See how they work :rider:

I've always wanted to try the D606's, but haven't yet. I just put a Shinko 244 on the rear and I'm pretty happy. Got about 600 miles on it and I'm liking it. I really liked it when I paid for them. Front and back was about $60 total I think.

There are about 8-10 Okie's invading Big Bend next month.:lol2: Looking forward to riding with everyone again. I hope we don't have to look for a lost rider this year on the River Road. :eek2:

Well, I loaded up on Geritol, One-A-Day, nsaids for the arthritis and tequila for the rest of the aches and pains. Put new rubber front and rear on the Husky. Added the Auto Tune to the Power Commander. So I guess there isn't any reason not to go anymore.

Will definitely bring the Husky and maybe the 'Flying Brick'. Hmmmm, if I could just find a trailer for the BMW to pull the Husky........

Look forward to finding a few places to test all 12 inches of the Husky travel.

Count one more in for the mapping/exploration. Even a jaunt across the border - that canyon looks like giggles.

Well, I loaded up on Geritol, One-A-Day, nsaids for the arthritis and tequila for the rest of the aches and pains. Put new rubber front and rear on the Husky. Added the Auto Tune to the Power Commander. So I guess there isn't any reason not to go anymore.

Ibuprofen is your friend! So is tequila!

dang it, that's what I've been doing wrong!!! Will correct this year :trust:

Drink tequila, trigger gout, take ibuprufen... repeat
Solorider, being a Houston guy, you should be able to appreciate this pic...involves tequila and Houston.:lol2:

Double check the year on that coozy. That coozy hasn't been sitting in a drawer somewhere. I've used that thing year in and year out since I got it at that enduro. Darn thing must be made out titanium or something. I think it has a half-life comparitive to plutonium or such.:lol2:

Attachments

• Jose C.jpg
    Jose C.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 227
Dahveed,

Yes, unpaved. Probably twisty. They are new "unmaintained 4 wheel drive" roads in Big Bend Ranch State Park.

BBRST totally rocks (no pun intended). We spent three days there in early November. Awesome ride!. I'd say rockier and more technical the BBNP. Just my opinion.

Solorider, being a Houston guy, you should be able to appreciate this pic...involves tequila and Houston.:lol2:

Double check the year on that coozy. That coozy hasn't been sitting in a drawer somewhere. I've used that thing year in and year out since I got it at that enduro. Darn thing must be made out titanium or something. I think it has a half-life comparitive to plutonium or such.:lol2:

They knew how to make koozies back then! Today's koozies are just crap. You're lucky to get through a case before they fall to pieces...:miffed:

Can't believe even the writing's like new on that coozy!

Richard, did I miss a link to the GPS tracks?

Back