• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

3rd Annual Around the Bend

I was thinking of doing Pinto Canyon Rd from South to North up to Marfa and back, but that's a lot of blacktop from Study Butte to the west end of 170 for an XR400 with knobbies. If I decided to trailer to the South end of Pinto Canyon Rd, is there a (safe) place to leave a truck and trailer for the 2-3 hr ride. I know there's a grocery store east of Candelaria, but not sure how they feel about people parking in their parking area as it's fairly small.

Same applies to Big Bend Ranch State park. Although it's closer in than Pinto Canyon, is there parking at the intersection of 170 and the State Park Rd?

Tks!

Drink tequila, trigger gout, take ibuprufen... repeat

I'm more into the naproxen.....

And the tequila quotient may be lowered somewhat. Another geezer is coming down from DFW and he prefers rum, so maybe a little Appleton Special in the bags of the Brick (you, know, purely for snakebite and other medical emergencies) and a little Estate Reserve for sippin' after supper.

Double check the year on that coozy. That coozy hasn't been sitting in a drawer somewhere. I've used that thing year in and year out since I got it at that enduro

I don't know who was more sadistic in the early eighties - Caney Creek or Memphis!!

That is an amazing piece of history to have around.

'81??? Isn't that the year that we almost all drowned at Fort Hood?

I was thinking of doing Pinto Canyon Rd from South to North up to Marfa and back, but that's a lot of blacktop from Study Butte to the west end of 170 for an XR400 with knobbies. If I decided to trailer to the South end of Pinto Canyon Rd, is there a (safe) place to leave a truck and trailer for the 2-3 hr ride. I know there's a grocery store east of Candelaria, but not sure how they feel about people parking in their parking area as it's fairly small.

Same applies to Big Bend Ranch State park. Although it's closer in than Pinto Canyon, is there parking at the intersection of 170 and the State Park Rd?

Tks!
The Candelaria Store is closed!
You could leave a vehicle in Presidio at the Motel on 67 North of town.Check with them first.
I have also thought about leaving a vehicle at the Chinita Hot Springs which is a couple of miles North and West of Ruidoso.It is very close to Pinto Canyon Road and deserves a visit. You may even want to soak in the hot water. Nice !:clap:

Double check the year on that coozy. That coozy hasn't been sitting in a drawer somewhere. I've used that thing year in and year out since I got it at that enduro

I don't know who was more sadistic in the early eighties - Caney Creek or Memphis!!

That is an amazing piece of history to have around.

'81??? Isn't that the year that we almost all drowned at Fort Hood?
Wow!...you have a good memory. I kinda think it was '80 at Fort Hood, because I was on a '79 KLX250. I had an '80 KDX175 after that bike. Ouch, that enduro brings back bad memories. I went 19 miles and finally quit because the wheels would just absolutely not turn with all that black mud. I'd go 100 yards, clean mud from fender and wheel...go a 100 yards, clean mud from fender and wheel...wheels lock up from mud...fall over...wheels lock up from mud...fall over. Well...you get the routine.:lol2:

Funny how things come full circle. I'm now riding an '06 KLX250.:mrgreen:

We're getting way, way, way off topic here - so I'll just offer to buy a beer one night after the ride and we can 'bench race* at the Bend'!

But beware - as the old saying goes "The older I get, the faster I was"

Bench race - a socially acceptable substitution for outright lies

We're getting way, way, way off topic here - so I'll just offer to buy a beer one night after the ride and we can 'bench race* at the Bend'!

But beware - as the old saying goes "The older I get, the faster I was"

Bench race - a socially acceptable substitution for outright lies
Would sure love to, but unfortunately our Concho Enduro is on Feb. 28th. I was just there at BB for 10 days during the first part of December with some other riders and had a blast. I'm just hanging around on this thread because I love the BB area to a fault. I'll be working a couple of checks on the 28th when you guys are having some DS fun.:argh:

paypal sent, hopefully I can get the whole week off; on a budget so need to camp and/or split rooms, Ill get the OHV stickers, need them for Sam Houston National Forest anyways

why are they orange? red is better :trust:

I'm in and very much looking forward to another great trip!

Anyone from Houston area wanna split gas and/or hotel?

Great!! Glad you are going. Can you follow me around again and pick me up when I get tired of standing? :-))))

Around the Bend - BBRSP

Looks like a great ride shaping up! Sorry I cant make this one. Some of you may make it out to Big Bend Ranch State Park, we were there on BUTT ride in November. Here is ride report for anyone interested.
http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php?topic=643.0

Just a few tips for anyone riding out at BBRSP. They just opened more roads in the park so its important to be courteous and thoughtful when riding. We want Tx Parks Dept to know they did the right thing opening more access.
- Plated street legal Dual Sport bikes only.
- Quite pipes: horses, mountain bikes and hikers can be there.
- Be mindful of speeds on the main roads.
- Stay on the designated roads, this is a biggie for park staff.
- No fuel avail in the park, you can gas up in Persidio.
- Thank the park staff for the great time! They are interested to hear about your riding and any suggestions you have.

Enjoy, looking forward to some ride reports!

Re: Around the Bend - BBRSP

Looks like a great ride shaping up! Sorry I cant make this one. Some of you may make it out to Big Bend Ranch State Park, we were there on BUTT ride in November. Here is ride report for anyone interested.
http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php?topic=643.0

Just a few tips for anyone riding out at BBRSP. They just opened more roads in the park so its important to be courteous and thoughtful when riding. We want Tx Parks Dept to know they did the right thing opening more access.
- Plated street legal Dual Sport bikes only.
- Quite pipes: horses, mountain bikes and hikers can be there.
- Be mindful of speeds on the main roads.
- Stay on the designated roads, this is a biggie for park staff.
- No fuel avail in the park, you can gas up in Persidio.
- Thank the park staff for the great time! They are interested to hear about your riding and any suggestions you have.

Enjoy, looking forward to some ride reports!

Thanks for the heads up. I read the trip report and it sounded like a great ride. BTW, my KLR is plenty quiet when its laying on its side "sleeping" in the rocks :lol2:

I didn't know until recently that the BBNP also has 4WD roads for riding. Most NPs don't have off road vehicle trails. I was amazed that they did here. How does the BBNP roads compared to the BBRSP roads?

How does the BBNP roads compared to the BBRSP roads?

The unmaintained 4 wheel drive roads in BBRSP are more difficult than the primitive roads in BBNP. Generally, the primitive roads in BBNP are class 2. The unmaintained 4 wheel drive roads in BBRSP are class 3.

The unmaintained 4 wheel drive roads in BBRSP are more difficult than the primitive roads in BBNP. Generally, the primitive roads in BBNP are class 2. The unmaintained 4 wheel drive roads in BBRSP are class 3.

Thanks, I'll ride the BBNP first and see if I'm ready to "step it up" to the BBRSP.

Richard:

Does the park provide maps for all the MC accessible roads?

Richard:

Does the park provide maps for all the MC accessible roads?

Yes, in their "El Solitario" publication there is a good map. You can pick up a copy when you stop at one of the park offices to pay your entry fee.

However, the most recent map shows some newly opened unmaintained 4 wheel drive roads that aren't actually open just yet. Or, at least, they weren't open as of Thanksgiving. Perhaps they will be open by the time we get there next month.

In any case, ask one of the Park Rangers and they should be able to show which ones are now open and which are still being worked on.

Great info on this thread. Thanks. I will be heading down there soon. I have been to the area 3 or 4 times over the past couple of years. I have a small toy
hauler. Not sure where I'll stick it yet. I plan to stay till sometime in March. Hoping to ride w/some of u guys. Anybody going to Mexico (already have all my paperwork). :rider: Rick
p.s. I have a DR650 :rider:

I'm looking forward to exploring some new terrain...

Brrrraaaaaapppppppp!

Not sure if I will make it now. I broke my dang arm again!!! I had to miss last year because I broke the same arm.

I rode last year with a broken elbow... you should be able to hang. ;-)

Not sure if I will make it now. I broke my dang arm again!!! I had to miss last year because I broke the same arm.

Back