• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

3rd Annual Around the Bend

I got my portable jack today...

I got my portable Jack today too....fits in my pocket....

789992282_kdzXT-S.jpg

There are piles of bike jacks all over Big Bend, as I discovered on my first trip out there.

There are piles of bike jacks all over Big Bend, as I discovered on my first trip out there.

Big Bend may have plenty, but this road in Mexico did not...

IMG_1445.jpg

About 12,000 miles. I compared the new sprockets and the old ones and I think I could have done the trip without changing them. I think they were fine for another 5000 but since I bought them, I'm putting them on.

Now I got to get the new chain on and the wheel bearings replaced. :thumb:
After working on you bike last weekend, I found a couple of washers and a half inch spacer.

Do you need them?

Re: Tricepilot's Wheelie Practice Videos

I like to show off at Big Bend.

I am going to wheelie the R1200GS!!!

First, here are some of my wheelie practice videos...

Finally, this is me practicing last month in Galeana. I'm the second guy, behind John:

What an idiot!
He gives everyone in the motorcycle community a bad name. If you can't control your bike..............don't do stupid **** on it. Track days are for practicing.

Well the plan is together, leaving Mansfield fri.19th-staying in San Angelo, then arriving BB on sat 20th, and leaving BB for Mansfield wed 24th ,maybe I'll get to meet some of you earlybirds.

Maybe I can get through this trip dry:pray:

After working on you bike last weekend, I found a couple of washers and a half inch spacer.

Do you need them?

No, I think I'm good. I'm going to double check that we flattened out the rivets enough on the master link but I think the rest is good.

I'm going to do some riding this Saturday just to double check everything.

Again, thanks for all your help!! :thumb:

Mexico Canyon Riders Next Week in Big Bend:

If you're electing to make the trip to pass through Presidio/Ojinaga on your way to Peguis Canyon, don't forget to pack your passport or your passport card. Reminder for first-time Big Bend riders that to get to Peguis you traverse the famous River Road from Terlingua to Presidio - worth the trip in and of itself.

You'll need it crossing back into the U.S.

Most of you won't be carrying Mexico motorcycle insurance so just be careful and don't hit anybody over there.

You won't need a TVIP so don't fret about your title/registration or credit card woes - Peguis is short of the first checkpoint riding towards Chihuahua.

You'll need to pack some water and a snack, and if you're going to hike the rim, consider some alternative footware.

A handy thing to have is a bike lock for your jacket and helmet. You won't have anything stolen (exception: other Americans) but just for your peace of mind.

Here's a (odd) video that includes shots of the canyon - try to ignore the UFO stuff (or not, if you believe in that sort of thing)

Here's one taken with a hand-held cam from the river bottom:

Re: Mexico Canyon Riders Next Week in Big Bend:

Most of you won't be carrying Mexico motorcycle insurance so just be careful and don't hit anybody over there.

I want to piggyback on this comment.

Some insurance carriers will cover you in the tourist zone in Mexico. For example, I have Dairyland insurance on my bikes and the coverage extends into the tourist zone. If I want to travel further into Mexico I would have to buy Mexican insurance, but my insurance covers me all the way to Peguis Canyon.

Myself and Dutchman will be leaving early thursday morning around 2 am, in hopes of arriving in Terlingua sometime in the afternoon/early evening. We'll be staying at the Chisos Mining Company. Almost a week away :rider:

I'll be arriving with a crew of indeterminable size coming from Dallas...I'm just along for the ride...those guys are heading to the Lajitas Resort, but I will be heading to Gareth Park to meet up with friends from Naco, Az and maybe a few buds coming up from Chihuahua City.

I'm really looking forward to my first visit to this event. I'm also looking forward to the rides and getting to know some of the you gents...not sure if I'll be able to bring fireWOOD, but I will bring some fireWATER....

Just to reiterate other's comments, Peguis Canyon is pretty cool and coupled with the River Road is definitely worth the ride.

Thanks to Richard! Can't wait to get the full scoop on Uncle, Uncle's, Tio, or Tio's...

Cheers!
:rider:

Do we have any meeting points / routes set up ?
From Austin:
I was thinking on leaving Wed afternoon and camping / motel in Leakey or Campwood. A little different route getting there. Back roads to Del Rio the next morning and getting to Terlingua in the afternoon of Thu.:rider:

Probably go I 10 on the way back.

Firewood

When I spoke to the folks at Chisos Mining Co. Motel, they said there is a fire band there right now. I'm assuming that we will be able to have a camp fire at the fire pit at Kathy's Kosmic Kowgirl Kafe.

Does anyone have anymore info?

Well, I think I may try tent camping on this trip at Gareth Park now that I spent my trip money on the dentist this month....LOL. How others plan on camping at Gareth Park?

I will be camped there with travel trailer. Philip will be next to me at the
entrance on the way to Uncles house. There are usually lots of folks
that use RV's, and other modes of camping from tents to nuts.
I will have my shower up and running just like last year, only differnce
is that there are no hook ups.
Bring firewood and stay out of the dust (roost)
Bob

PS For any body that hasnt ridden the area, we will be going into the
BBNP to ride the river road and others. Was going to check out the State
Park but decided to avoid all the rocks ride the NP becouse theres lots of
roads that I havent tried yet and Bob (of Bob and Gloria fame) will be with me
so thats a navigational slam dunk!!

Bob

I can't wait for this trip. Been needing it for months. It's going to be fun seeing a bunch of dual sport bikes and riders cruising around the BB area!!!

I'm out,,,, the KLR Cylinder and rings went out again, two times in 9000 mi.
and the Eldorado Motel wants to fine me one days bill for not cancelling within 10 days. Beware of this.

Richard,

Just a heads up that I am coming and bringing a friend or two. I have property at Terlingua Ranch 23 mi north of Study Butte near the American Legion Rd on Hwy 118.
Plenty of room for campers but kinda far out. I'm out here almost every month all the way from New Braunfels. No better riding anywhere. I look forward to meeting this wild bunch at the Kosmic Kafe. email = papajoda01@gmail.com

Anyone know if there's still deep sand on River Road West (inside the park)?
I was on a KLR last year and had problems on that stretch of road. Will be on an XR (plated) this year, but would still like to be prepared! Tks!

Re: Firewood

When I spoke to the folks at Chisos Mining Co. Motel, they said there is a fire ban there right now. I'm assuming that we will be able to have a camp fire at the fire pit at Kathy's Kosmic Kowgirl Kafe.

Does anyone have any more info?
I asked Kosmic Kathy about that today. The fire ban continues, but she is on a list that is allowed a fire. The primary reason for the list is so the fire fighters aren't sent on a wild goose chase to put out a fire that is monitored and approved.

So, bring lots of wood to KKKK!

Voni
sMiling

guys,

I'm plotting out a couple of routes and have a question for you.... If leaving Presidio and heading towards Marfa, it is it a nicer road to take Hwy67 or is it best to take the Hwy 169 through casa piedra(through the state park)?

Thank you!

Back