• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

3rd Annual Around the Bend

Re: Firewood

I asked Kosmic Kathy about that today. The fire ban continues, but she is on a list that is allowed a fire. The primary reason for the list is so the fire fighters aren't sent on a wild goose chase to put out a fire that is monitored and approved.

So, bring lots of wood to KKKK!

Voni
sMiling

Bringing a good amount of wood. Where do I drop it?
Uncles or KKK.

Ron

Anyone know if there's still deep sand on River Road West (inside the park)?
I was on a KLR last year and had problems on that stretch of road. Will be on an XR (plated) this year, but would still like to be prepared! Tks!

River Rd East and West was no problem last Saturday. We took two 1200s and a DR650 through with no issues.

Spent most of the day yesterday prepping my gear and the bike and getting all my last minute shopping done. All that is left is changing out the front tire to an MX tire for the ranch, sliming the tires and changing the oil and I'll be ready to go!!

I'm having a very hard time concentrating at work because all I can think about is the trip!! :flip:

Dual Sport Riding Check List Guideline - Compliments of Woodbutcher

Passing this along if it is helpful to anyone. :thumb:

Dual Sport Riding Check List Guideline Keyword here is "Guideline" :deal:

This is a modified version of XR650Rocketman’s Dual Sport Ride Check List for Big Bend. It has been cleaned it up to be a little more generic for multi-day rides away from home.

It is broken up into three sections.

1) What you should do before you leave home to get the bike ready.
2) What you should check each day before riding.
3) What you should carry on your bike or a buddy that you will be riding with will be carrying.

Some have been marked as required (R) and some as optional (O). Most will agree with the required steps and items, and some will disagree about the optional items, which, of course, is why they are listed as optional.

Pre-Trip bike preparation:

1. R ___ Check every nut and bolt on your bike to make sure it’s there and tight….Put locktite on any that tend to loosen up.

2. R ___ Make sure all the wheel spokes are tight.

3. O___ Safety wire or tie wrap spokes where they cross each other. They can still break but won’t get caught up in the chain or brakes.

4. R ___ Check your wheel bearings.

5. R ___ Be sure to be starting with new, or nearly new tires

6. O___ Put slime in both tires. Follow the instructions carefully.

7. O___ When you are changing tires, don’t bother using a rim lock up front. When you get a front flat we’ll be changing it right away and it’s quicker without a rim lock.

8. R ___ Set tire pressure to firmer than normal trail riding. Adjust after you start riding to match trail conditions. You want to avoid pinch flats as much as possible.

9. R ___ Be sure your sprockets, chain and brakes are correctly adjusted and can go the distance anticipated without wearing out.

10. R ___ Start with a fresh clean oiled air filter. Filter skins are a great idea. Carry a spare filter or Filter Skin all oiled up and ready to go. If you use any No Toil or other oils with alcohol in them, be sure to let your filter air out for at least an hour before you pack it into an airtight plastic bag.

11. O___ Run the largest gas tank you can get.

12. R ___ Check the cable adjustment for all the controls.

13. R ___ Check the fork seals, countershaft seal and shifter shaft seal to be sure they aren’t leaking.

14. R ___ Make sure your suspension is not set too stiff….It’ll wear you out in no time.

15. O___ Put a guard over your headlight.

Daily Bike check:

1. R ___ Visual check every nut and bolt on your bike to make sure it’s there and tight.

2. R ___ Make sure all the wheel spokes are still tight.

3. R ___ Replace air filter with clean one if necessary.

4. R ___ Check tire pressure.

5. R ___ Top off gasoline tank.

6. R ___ Check coolant level.

7. R ___ Visual check for leaks.

Things to carry along :

1. R ___ An 80 or 100oz hydration & backpack combo unit with a big mouth bladder that lets you fill it with ice and liquid.

2. R ___ Food. Ex. A couple of protein bars that withstand heat.

3. R ___ Two 300 mm tire irons wrapped in old gloves.

4. R ___ Good quality bicycle tire pump.

5. O ___ Set of reading glasses (optional for some, required for others).

6. R ___ Spare spark plug.

7. R ___ Compass. (you do know how to use one, right?)

8. R ___ Cell phone.

9. R ___ Matches.

10. R ___ Mountain money in a Zip Loc bag (also call all purpose paper)

11. R ___ New front tube.

12. O ___ New rear tube. (a front can be used in the rear if necessary)

13. R ___ Extra brake lever.

14. R ___ Extra clutch lever.

15. O ___ Spare clutch perch.

16. R ___ Tube repair kit. Check the glue and patches are still useable.

17. R ___ “Quick Metal” epoxy putty for patching engine cases.

18. R ___ Tools. Test these tools at home to make sure you can do all the necessary work with them.

19. R ___ Spare chain master link.

20. O ___ Tow strap.

21. O ___ Siphon hose.

22. O ___ Spare clutch cable.

23. O ___ Spare throttle cables

24. R ___ Two extra massive tie wraps ( AC duct size) for holding flat tire on rim.

25. R ___ Old riding gloves for dirty repair work.

26. O ___ Spare clean pair of no fog, clear lens, goggles for cloudy days or night riding

27. R ___ Leatherman for use on anything.

28. R ___ Small flashlight.

29. R ___ Maps.

General Info Stuff

- Carry some cash in case there is a place to stop. Not all small places can take credit cards.

- Wear earplugs. For long day rides, you will feel much better at the end of the day if you wear them. You will find you can still hear the bike engine just fine.

- Bring a GPS. Make sure you have the maps loaded for the area we are riding. Bring spare batteries.

- Bring a camera. Particularly one that is not too dear to you. Bring spare batteries if it is digital.

- Several people in a group should be carrying a first aid (trauma) kit.

Trail Riding Rules

1. Pick a group leader and a sweep rider before you head out. Make sure everybody in the group knows those individuals are. You can swap roles on the ride, but make sure everybody is clear who is leading and who is at the rear.

2. Wait for the person behind you at each turn/intersection. That way nobody gets off route and the leader is the only one that has to focus on route finding (everybody should be aware, but the leader has to stay on top of the route)

3. Don’t turn back without letting someone else know (and take a buddy).

Excellent list...the only thing missing on it is bacon

Richard put a similar list into the Big Bend Ride Guide :clap:

On the road to the big bend. Left Florida on Saturday, Now (Sunday Night) in the San Antonio area. No problems with the trailer this time. Should be in Study Butte a few day early. Hope there are a few other early riders to ride with. Staying at Wildhorse station. Not sure what to expect there--- thats the fun of it. If anyone wants to get in touch- cell phone is 904-333-1072
Cotton

is it too early to start a ride report ....

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

at Big Bend Ranch State Park, met Hugo from San Antonio, he was here during Thanksgiving, excellent guide

See ya on Wednesday. You're going to miss the snow tomorrow up here though.

Glad I came back early I was there last weekend ,weather was wonderful and I was in a tent. you guys have fun.

Well, its snowing here in Temple and I have to work tomorrow. The elevated portion of I-35 going through the city is a total mess when it snows or rain freezes. I hate bad weather and working crashes on the Interstate. If only people would clean their windshields, slow down and not tailgate...I think the extended forecast looks well for the big Bend area. Where are fair trade winds now? LOL

...and I and Shadman are staying with TP! Sorry folks only room for three...

I rented this for the weekend in Big Bend.

Don't want to miss curling at the Olympics, you know :sun:

795462608_aRUr5-L.jpg

The interior shot looks like the inside of my Gulfstream!! LOL (or maybe the Air Force 757 we taxpayers outfit for the treasonous criminal Pelosi!!)

Well it snowed this morning , but it didn"t stick. The next 4 or 5 days should be in the 70's. There is just enough moisture to settle the dust for a day or two. Come on out and let's ride!!!

Well it snowed this morning , but it didn"t stick. The next 4 or 5 days should be in the 70's. There is just enough moisture to settle the dust for a day or two. Come on out and let's ride!!!
Said the spider to the fly...LOL! Hey Rog, sorry I won't see you on this go-around. We're having our state circuit enduro this weekend. Thanks again for the parking spot for my minivan and KLX250 last December. Can't wait to get out there again...and again...and again...:rider:

Jbay, those are beautiful pics there. We had a Terlingua Enduro in the early 80's one year in February, and it was a freakin', muddy nightmare of snow and sleet. A rare occurence, however. The Chisos in the park were beautiful just this past December during a brief snow, but the rest of the park was totally rideable. The desert is one of the prettiest places on earth with a little snow on it.

Oh, let me also warn anyone going down there when it snows. Last December when it snowed in the park while a group of us were there, apparently some naked motorcycle guy likes to take advantage of the bad weather while everyone is snuggled up in their tents, sleeping bags, etc. He will steal any bike that isn't nailed down or locked up. While I was asleep in the back of this van, one of my fellow campers snapped this shot of the guy trying to make off with my bike. Luckily he was scared off. They say he's from Florida. Authorities are still looking for him. Don't attempt to apprehend by yourself if you see him. He's obviously deranged, as you can tell from the blowing snow conditions and his inappropriate attire. Nice helmet, though.:lol2:

Attachments

• Naked Bike Thief 2.jpg
    Naked Bike Thief 2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 310
Back