• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

3rd Annual Around the Bend

Hey, I blew up the Duro I was (trying to) install on my TW200 today, leaving me in the precarious position of not having a workable rear tire. If anyone coming has a usable 180-80-14 and wants to bring it and sell it, please let me know, and do so. Otherwise I'll be street-only.

Thanks!
Andrew

Decisions, decisions. My copilot has a sick employee and needs to stay around to run his business. My wing man is going to wait for warmer weather. No names mentioned to protect their identities. Now I need to decide whether to head down on my own (highly likely), when (tomorrow probably), which bike or bring both?

All the gear is piled up. Both bikes are ready. Trailer is in soft ground on the side of the house and full of snow. Truck has bed cover on it that I can't take off alone. Either way I need help getting set for bikes. Trailer means I'm driving slower and will still get worse mpg. Truck bed means one bike and harder loading.

Time to go to bed. Tomorrow I start flipping coins.

Ok, I'm almost ready, new battery for the bike, got the turn signals to work finally. Didn't feel like riding in the sleet today to get it inspected so I have to do that in the morning then put the big tank on.
I'm guessing that there isn't really anyplace to get lunch along the dualsport routes so if I want it I better carry it.

DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

nothing wrong with a little snow

Beautiful pics of BBRSP in the snow! Do you know if they opened the NorthWest Corner Cienega Mts section where you have to cross the rail tracks?

Thanks!

Beautiful pics of BBRSP in the snow! Do you know if they opened the NorthWest Corner Cienega Mts section where you have to cross the rail tracks?

Thanks!

Hugo says he thinks you can go around the fence and gate (according to a book he picked up) where y'all picked up the spike on the tracks, but he asked the ranger about that area and they said they are still working on that area for roads and signs;

he has to go turn paper work in to Mexico this morning so we will get a late start; hopefully get some more riding here today and head to Terlingua

Dang it, I'm out. Too many things keep popping up and I'm finally going to take the hint and stay home. That doesn't rule out me changing my mind later today, but the final straw was putting the wheel back on the TA last night and seeing that the rear sprocket that I put on 6K miles ago is toast. I had to get an aluminum one last summer in a rush and couldn't wait for the slightly cheaper steel OEM one. I was told it would last longer, but apparently that is if you only ride street.

Yeah, yeah, I know that I have another bike, but this is just like the 6th or 7th thing that has come up so I'm going to stay. Maybe I'll get some of the other chores done around here now. Like the brakes on the truck I was going to use to haul the bikes...

Hey Rusty,I had my partner pull out this morning.I have a 3-rail trailer if you wanna ride to Wimberley.Call me if you like @ 512-468-2468 James Dunn

James, thanks for the invite. You are one of several folks that have contacted me with options. I appreciate all the offers, but it really has come down to the fact that the responsible thing is to stay home. I'll try and do a trip out to BB later in March before it gets hot.

I'm on my way as I type this. Having dinner in Senora since I missed lunch. :doh: I should arrive at Uncle's around 11P (hope he is awake :trust:) I may need to stop for sleep since I had a guest last night at 11P and only got 3 hours sleep before my 5A wake up. :giveup: I which case I'll see you all in the morning.

Who's riding in the morning?

update: I am doing cardiac rehab 3X/week, getting around very well, healing, and probably return to work next week. Can't drive due to the danger of an air bag whacking my chest (oww). I hope to get released to drive next week. I feel pretty good, still have some blockage ("effusion") in my left lung which is a common post op problem, hopefully will resolve on its on.

I really would rather be in Terlingua.....

James, thanks for the invite. You are one of several folks that have contacted me with options. I appreciate all the offers, but it really has come down to the fact that the responsible thing is to stay home. I'll try and do a trip out to BB later in March before it gets hot.

Rusty, I had to bail as well, but was just talking of going in March. Not sure if any of the others will ante up, but let me know if your game;-)

I'm at the Starlight at this moment carving a filet, did Old Ore Road today, only 2 flats :)

Make sure you put Ride On in your tubes/tires...

I'm getting faster fixing flats...

TriceBob - Your flats or others?? Bummer dude. Still snowing there or did it clear up? Tried to snow on us here in North Carolina today, makes for chilly work on the water.

As usual in these things, well over 100 riders but you only see groups at Kathy's for breakfast or at one of the dinner spots, so I can't take a poll. Ralph the mechanic is selling me another rear tube for a spare and he'll run in some Ride On for me.

I'm running 170 to Ojinaga MX today, more dirt mañana.

Next trip to BB I'll be taking more than 1 spare set of tubes, plus I'll have a PhD in tire/tube science.

Buena suerte :)

Not gonna make it...

I'm not going to make it to the ride this weekend. The wife has been summoned to Tuscon for work. I'll be tending the home fires with the 8 year old daughter this weekend instead. You know how fast they grow up, I'll wake up tomorrow and she'll be 16 asking for the keys to the car :lol2: Better take the time while I can....it only comes around once!

I have a buddy coming down from May 12-thru May 26. We are planning a trip down there then anyway. If any of you guys get a wild hair, come ride with us in May. Ride safe and have a great time! I'll do my best to make it next year.

Cheers!!!!

Jeff

P.S.. Richard: Please let me know how much it will cost to ship me the two t-shirts that I ordered.

Re: Not gonna make it...

I'm not going to make it to the ride this weekend. The wife has been summoned to Tuscon for work. I'll be tending the home fires with the 8 year old daughter this weekend instead. You know how fast they grow up, I'll wake up tomorrow and she'll be 16 asking for the keys to the car :lol2: Better take the time while I can....it only comes around once!

True! Hey, Big Bend's been there for years and its not going anywhere soon, so you've made the right call and have the good attitude. Maybe when she's 16 she'll be riding BB with you. :sun:

Typing this on my iPhone from Terlingua so this will be short...I ran up 170 to Presidio/Ojinaga, went to the zocalo for some pollo empanizado, sat around this border town, chatting up the locals...back on the bike towards Chihuahua, stopped at barranca Peguis, did the Chevy Chase head nod, then back to Presidio (where I set off the radiation detector at the border I am not kidding) and am reporting this from the Starlight in Terlingua ghost town....ps drank a gallon of te helado in Ojinaga - it's good for your digestion....pics Sunday or Monday. :sun:

:dude: (I couldn't find a little "I'm not worthy" smiley...)

Typing this on my iPhone from Terlingua so this will be short...I ran up 170 to Presidio/Ojinaga, went to the zocalo for some pollo empanizado, sat around this border town, chatting up the locals...back on the bike towards Chihuahua, stopped at barranca Peguis, did the Chevy Chase head nod, then back to Presidio (where I set off the radiation detector at the border I am not kidding) and am reporting this from the Starlight in Terlingua ghost town....ps drank a gallon of te helado in Ojinaga - it's good for your digestion....pics Sunday or Monday. :sun:

Back