• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

3rd Bandit

B1250, when you have some miles on your CB 500x, I'd like to know your thoughts on it. I've been searching for lighter bikes since I don't have the reflexes, strength, or power needs of my youth when I was 65. Now 72, going on to 73 soon. Recovering from a broken fifth lateral metatarsal after dropping my Bandit about a month ago. For reasons I've forgotten, I passed on the the CB 500x and last Fall bought a Kawasaki Ninja 650. My first sport bike and It was a learning lesson. Bandit features like a standard center stand, ability to add luggage, better wind protection, incredible instant torque, and the upright seating position I miss on the Ninja. The deciding points may have been the Honda's seat height of 31.8" versus 32.8" on the Ninjas and it's quicker quarter mile time. The Ninja seems gutless compared to my Bandit but that's OK. I need to ride more conservatively. But, I am thinking I made a mistake buying the Ninja.
I can let you know how it goes with the 500X, I compromised on power, but watched several videos and the x seemed to have enough pick up for me and can go on the highway. There were a few other suggestions above, like the FZ that has a low seat. The versys 650 is more upright and you can get lowering links to lower the bike. I've used lowering links on 2 V stroms with no probs. I hope I'm riding at 72! :)

Did you find a shield? I have the V Stream. Initially I tried the tall and it worked great, but I hated the look. Now I have the next size down with a spoiler. Both options have worked great for me...not that crazy about the looks but they are very effective..even for riding without a helmet..no probs. I'm 5'8" for reference.

Hi B1250 and everybody - sorry for late reply. I did three things. I added the MRA Vario and it helped but I was not satisfied. I should have bought the standard Sargent low seat which is the same height as stock and, making an assumption, would be more comfortable than stock seat and not introduce buffeting but from what I read it may still change seating position so I can't be sure. I also added another windshield that happens to be attached to an FJR1300 and also kept my Bandit. Not saying I'm well off, just saying I have more money than brains. As I said before, I bought and sold 2 Bandits and almost instantly regretted it, so I kept the 3rd one and added the FJR. Side note, when I ride the FJR and then hop on the Bandit I cannot believe I rode the Bandit to Tennessee. Twice.

Well, you're right to question it. No one should go to Tennessee, especially not twice. Going *through* it is ok, but I'm glad to see you've learned your lesson!

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"They tell you that you'll lose your mind when you grow older. What they don't tell you is that you won't miss it very much." -- Malcolm Cowley

Hi B1250 and everybody - sorry for late reply. I did three things. I added the MRA Vario and it helped but I was not satisfied. I should have bought the standard Sargent low seat which is the same height as stock and, making an assumption, would be more comfortable than stock seat and not introduce buffeting but from what I read it may still change seating position so I can't be sure. I also added another windshield that happens to be attached to an FJR1300 and also kept my Bandit. Not saying I'm well off, just saying I have more money than brains. As I said before, I bought and sold 2 Bandits and almost instantly regretted it, so I kept the 3rd one and added the FJR. Side note, when I ride the FJR and then hop on the Bandit I cannot believe I rode the Bandit to Tennessee. Twice.
I was going to take a pic of my setup but its pouring rain here now..when I get a chance I can try to send one. Its worked out really well and I have plenty of extra height with the touring MRA X creen spoiler I attached to the V Stream shield. I used to have the FJR also but the heft and heat got to me..plus as I'm getting older I'm going lighter! lol

B1250, when you have some miles on your CB 500x, I'd like to know your thoughts on it. I've been searching for lighter bikes since I don't have the reflexes, strength, or power needs of my youth when I was 65. Now 72, going on to 73 soon. Recovering from a broken fifth lateral metatarsal after dropping my Bandit about a month ago. For reasons I've forgotten, I passed on the the CB 500x and last Fall bought a Kawasaki Ninja 650. My first sport bike and It was a learning lesson. Bandit features like a standard center stand, ability to add luggage, better wind protection, incredible instant torque, and the upright seating position I miss on the Ninja. The deciding points may have been the Honda's seat height of 31.8" versus 32.8" on the Ninjas and it's quicker quarter mile time. The Ninja seems gutless compared to my Bandit but that's OK. I need to ride more conservatively. But, I am thinking I made a mistake buying the Ninja.
Well, I almost have 1k on the CB500X now. Pro's: light, nimble, good wind screen and I added a spoiler to make it better, easy maint., legs are less cramped, no problem at 80 mph and is getting 70mpg. Cons: lack of power from a stop, once its going its fine. I think mine has some vibration coming thru the grips. I took it out for about 4 hours on Sunday and my arms were sore. May also try to change the handlebar rise to see if that helps. Due to that issue I probably couldn't take it on trips until I can figure out a fix. I was mainly going to use it as a commuter and keep the Bandit for trips though. The 2016-2018 were updated and not as high as the newer models :)

Hi everybody, resurrecting this thread yet again. Consider this a proof of life, I guess. I still have my red 2016 Bandit and 2018 FJR. They really complement each other even though you could argue I’ve set them up for the same kind of riding. I fixed my original mistake from last summer and ordered a Sargent low seat and I’ll be selling the Sargent regular one shortly. Almost a year on, I’m really glad I haven’t sold the Bandit, though I will admit it gets ridden maybe 25% of the time due to the newness of the FJR. The FJR isn’t perfect, just different.

When I’m out for just a few hours, I like to bring a bottle of water and energy bar. Sometimes I plan just a short ride which becomes a long ride :-P. With bags on any bike, it’s easy, but without bags my choice is tank bag or tail bag. Anybody doing anything really interesting for small storage? There’s a lot of empty space under that Bandit fairing.

Hi everybody, resurrecting this thread yet again. Consider this a proof of life, I guess. I still have my red 2016 Bandit and 2018 FJR. They really complement each other even though you could argue I’ve set them up for the same kind of riding. I fixed my original mistake from last summer and ordered a Sargent low seat and I’ll be selling the Sargent regular one shortly. Almost a year on, I’m really glad I haven’t sold the Bandit, though I will admit it gets ridden maybe 25% of the time due to the newness of the FJR. The FJR isn’t perfect, just different.

When I’m out for just a few hours, I like to bring a bottle of water and energy bar. Sometimes I plan just a short ride which becomes a long ride :-P. With bags on any bike, it’s easy, but without bags my choice is tank bag or tail bag. Anybody doing anything really interesting for small storage? There’s a lot of empty space under that Bandit fairing.

A tank bag is great for small storage, although I always have my side bags on!. I used one for a trip to Georgia and it was great...I always thought the FJR was my dream machine. I was finally able to afford one but the heat off the engine nearly fried my legs...plus it was a tad heavy for me. Sold it before buying the bandit...so my bandit has basically been turned into a lighter sport touring bike for me. And the older I get the lighter I seem to be going...lol How does the 2016 Bandit compare to previous yrs...do you notice the weight difference much?

Last edited:
A tank bag is great for small storage, although I always have my side bags on!. I used one for a trip to Georgia and it was great...I always thought the FJR was my dream machine. I was finally able to afford one but the heat off the engine nearly fried my legs...plus it was a tad heavy for me. Sold it before buying the bandit...so my bandit has basically been turned into a lighter sport touring bike for me. And the older I get the lighter I seem to be going...lol How does the 2016 Bandit compare to previous yrs...do you notice the weight difference much?

I like tank bags, right now I'm thinking of a tail bag. A small one that attaches under the seat like some of the Nelson Rigg bags.

Back