• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

$4000 for a picture

So the sign that says "this is the border of the arctic circle" is actually several hundred miles inside of the arctic circle????? I thought Fairbanks was way South of the arctic circle?

The sign is on the Arctic Circle - 66 degrees 33 minutes of latitude - and where it crosses the Dalton Highway. The location is roughly 150 miles north of Fairbanks.

So, you could say they made it TO the arctic circle... :trust:

That's what I figgered, but this post

Actually, this sign is several hundred miles to the inside border. Look at a map and find Fairbanks, then go North. So yup, they actually made it - and then some....

confused me. I think it would be silly to put a sign announcing the border would actually be very far inside the border.

The sign is on the Arctic Circle - 66 degrees 33 minutes of latitude - and where it crosses the Dalton Highway. The location is roughly 150 miles north of Fairbanks.

So, you could say they made it TO the arctic circle... :trust:

But did they cross it? If not, then it doesn't count and there needs to be a re-do. ;-)

That's what I figgered, but this post

confused me. I think it would be silly to put a sign announcing the border would actually be very far inside the border.

Ah.....I see the confusion of my post. I read yours as the AK border, not the Arctic Circle border. Sorry 'bout that....

And if I recall correctly from my trip years ago, Brian is the only one to actually be in the circle or North of the sign. Well, that and Graham's bike. :trust:

Brian - How's that final drive holding up on the GS?

Hello from Chicken, AK

Ah.....I see the confusion of my post. I read yours as the AK border, not the Arctic Circle border. Sorry 'bout that....

And if I recall correctly from my trip years ago, Brian is the only one to actually be in the circle or North of the sign. Well, that and Graham's bike. :trust:

We actually rode the bikes a 100 yards or so north of the sign just to be safe.;-) According to our SPOT tracker, we were at N 66º 33.348 W 150º 48.648. The Arctic Circle is officially placed at N 66º 33'. So yeah, I'd say we made it. :mrgreen:

Brian - How's that final drive holding up on the GS?

Shhhhhhhhh... Don't say anything Brian. Don't jinx yourself. The last time I bragged ... well... I am still without my bike.

Funny story, that. Came out of the motel in Fairbanks yesterday morning to find a big puddle of gear oil under it and oil all around the hub. Turns out that we have some pranksters on this trip - mean evil pranksters that let me go so far as calling George at Trail's End BMW in Fairbanks and leaving him a message. We all had a good laugh about it in the end, but they really had me going there.
:giveup:

We made it to Chicken and are camped here for the night. Very neat place. Oh, and we found a new place for a Pie Run - the Eureka Lodge somewhere between Anchorage and Tok. It might be a LOOOONG pie run, but this place was awesome!

I'd love to show you some pictures today, but we are on a satellite internet connection here and we can't upload photos. Hopefully we'll be somewhere in a few days where I can post some more. This town doesn't even have telephone service. All communications are by snail mail or Internet via satellite. If you want to talk to someone, Skype is your only option.

Tomorrow we cross the border back into Canada on the Top-of-the-World highway, then to Dawson, Carmacks, and maybe as far as Ross River.

Shhhhhhhhh... Don't say anything Brian. Don't jinx yourself. The last time I bragged ... well... I am still without my bike.

Your bike is still dead from the Pie Run failure? What is wrong with it?

Well, the boys have made it to Dawson City, Yukon Territory a few minutes ago after crossing the Yukon river via ferry..... I'd bet they're having lunch and a coffee there about now enjoying that beautiful little town on the river.

They are staying in Dawson City, horrible weather today and it took about 5 hours to go only 100 miles. So, it's laundry and hotel and back on the road tomorrow. Yay for being able to decide stuff on the spur of the moment!

LOL 5 hours to go 100 miles.:rofl: I know what y'all went through.:trust: The dirt roads turn slicker than.... well, pretty slick, when wet. It took us 5 hours to go 75 miles from Manley back to the Dalton Hwy after it rained all night long. That kind of riding really wears you out. My riding partner almost gave it up half way through and stopped to take the time to express her true feelings for my choice of roads. :giveup: After it all (and back in Houston) we look back on it now as, "The Total Alaskan Experience". Hope the mud didn't get anyone.

Take care.

Todd

congrats guys on making it up there, have a safe trip back and cant wait to see pics.

Is there a way to determine how many road miles they travel between the spots?

I don't think so - if you zoom in, you will see that a straight line just connects adjacent track points & doesn't follow the road.

There aren't many roads on that map, are there? :shock:

Is there a way to determine how many road miles they travel between the spots?

Not that I'm aware of other than seeing the time between spots and making an estimate of MPH for whatever section of road they are on and calculate miles from there.

Also, if you look close, ie: zoom in, you can see where they make a sharp turn in their route and the spot draws a straight line between the two points. That would shoot the manual calculations out of the water.

EDIT:
DOH! The rocket scientist beat me to it.....

Last edited:
Well, you could plot those points in mapping software and have it connect the dots ON the roadway, but it would still be just a close estimate.

I know they're logging the miles so we'll be able to see what the daily & total was after they're back.

Congrats to the four of you for achieving your destination. I can't wait to hear the stories.
Marty

Looks like they are just above the US border and heading west - Glacier National Park, maybe? I don't have their plans, so I am guessing.

I suspect that they have a little time before having to load up the truck and come cook with the rest of us... ;-)

Looks like they are just above the US border and heading west - Glacier National Park, maybe? I don't have their plans, so I am guessing.

I suspect that they have a little time before having to load up the truck and come cook with the rest of us... ;-)

Glacier? Perhaps. It's on my short list of things to do on the bike. Although, isn't the towing rig still in Calgary? I guess they can go through Glacier then back into Canada.

Definitely have to end up Calgary but they have days and days to do that. I think they might be making it up as they go...lol

Back