• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

$4000 for a picture

Re: Day 3

331184658_sommz-M.jpg

That's a 1908 Buick that was being driven from Fort Nelson to Whitehorse and back to celebrate 100 years of Buick. Very cool old car with as near as I can tell original engine, wheels, etc. Awesome!

By the looks of the driver, I'd say it includes the original owner as well... :lol2:

:tab:tabNow THAT is FUNNY Ana!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:tab:tab:tab:tab:tab:tab:popcorn:

The meanest trick to play on a GS Owner. Note the little puddle of final drive fluid.

IMG_3493.jpg

Both Bill and I were shocked that Moose would do that to a fellow Beemer owner. He even carried the trick up to point of letting Sparky call the dealership in Anchorage. :rofl:

The meanest trick to play on a GS Owner. Note the little puddle of final drive fluid.

IMG_3493.jpg

Both Bill and I were shocked that Calgary-Yogi would do that to a fellow Beemer owner. He even carried the trick up to point of letting Sparky call the dealership in Anchorage. :rofl:

Fixt

I will start a ride report in a few days but in the mean time lets have a little fun with some of the pictures I took.

Can you put a caption to these ?

IMG_3234.jpg

IMG_3718.jpg

IMG_3799.jpg

IMG_3302.jpg

IMG_3337.jpg

IMG_3461.jpg

IMG_3302.jpg

"What, you've never seen a guy cold enough to put his underwear on his head before?"

IMG_3337.jpg

Bill has a "little dozer complex" and is trying to compensate. :lol2:

IMG_3718.jpg

Yeah, uh, I think I might need to try on the Extra Large instead.

IMG_3337.jpg

So, you say I pull this thingy here to launch? I don't know, I still don't think it's a catapult...

:mrgreen:

IMG_3493.jpg

Both Bill and I were shocked that Moose would do that to a fellow Beemer owner. He even carried the trick up to point of letting Sparky call the dealership in Anchorage. :rofl:

I take full and sole responcability for trying this at the Yukon River Crossing, but unfortunitly Sparky did not notice it then but I was not involved with this one.
I also just noticed that Brian is in the background on the phone with the dealer.
For the tree huggers I used this environmently friendly stuff called coffee rather than pouring tranny fluid all over the parking lot

Can you put a caption to these ?

IMG_3234.jpg

It seamed a lot taller when I ordered it off the web

IMG_3718.jpg

it has swollen, it must be the lack of air pressure
its alot easier to use the Force wearing it this way

IMG_3302.jpg

Now the left leg goes in here, my arm goes in there, Dang I wish the wife was here to dress me its all so complicated.

IMG_3337.jpg

Hey, stunting Alaska style is way cool

IMG_3461.jpg
How does he manage to do with his pants on ???

Here is my ones

IMG_3461.jpg

With friends that take pictures like these, who needs enemas?

Day 4

So, after a good night's sleep in the hotel, some more pills, lots of water, and no dinner I was feeling much better. I loaded up the bike and rode back out of Watson Lake to the campground where the guys camped. It was overcast and cold, but I was feeling pretty good, and we were going to see something cool first thing this morning.

332654741_774Vd-M.jpg

We all fueled up and set off back into Watson Lake to visit the famed Sign Post Forest. This was a very fun place. The official story of how this got started is...

The forest was started in 1942 by a homesick U.S. Army G.I., Carl K. Lindley of Danville, Il., Company D, 341st Engineers. While working on the Alaska Highway, he erected a sign here pointing the way and stating the mileage to his hometown. Others followed his lead and are still doing so to this day.

Today there are more than 60,000 signs. The town of Watson Lake puts up new posts each year, and visitors are welcome to leave a sign. I had one designed, but the sign company messed it up, and I wasn't able to get it re-made before departing. :doh:

332655655_5u8vr-M.jpg

332658261_jMEUz-M.jpg

332656392_oA3rm-M.jpg

332660227_N4qyq-M.jpg

This one is for you, Ana...
332664576_uQFbN-M.jpg

Also on display in the Forest, are examples of the equipment used to build the Alaska Highway...

332667844_KqVTa-M.jpg

332668875_PanUr-M.jpg

332669614_En8Bm-M.jpg

Panorama of the Sign Post Forest...
332689722_NsRiQ-XL.jpg

After spending an hour or so wondering through the forest fascinated by all the signs from all over the world, even Europe and Australia, we got on the bikes and continued northwest up the Alaska Highway toward Whitehorse. Once again, the scenery was breathtaking...

332670510_pqjUu-M.jpg

We encountered many construction sites throughout the trip where we'd have to stop and wait for the road to clear.

332671790_oyzUw-M.jpg

We made it to Whitehorse and stopped for lunch. This was the last major town before we got to Alaska and it was the last opportunity for Timmie's for several days, so we took full advantage...

332673389_vtKtz-M.jpg

View of Whitehorse from across the river...
332674354_ehFvW-M.jpg

Timmie's!
332672391_rxjHc-M.jpg

The entrance to the Whitehorse airport...
332675113_QB5fE-M.jpg

After lunch, we pressed on northwest up the Alaska Highway...
332675611_HFc5V-M.jpg

Stop for a break...
332676308_T6pzQ-M.jpg

332676870_kAwr2-M.jpg

At some point on this afternoon, we saw another bear. Actually, we had seen several black bears along the roadway, but this one was a brown bear, the only one of that species we saw on the trip. That makes three species we'd seen, grizzly, black, and brown.

Late in the evening we were getting tired and thought we would try to find a campsite. We came down into a valley along Kluane Lake. The wind coming down the valley was howling, at least 30 - 40 mph, and was blowing dust out over the water. It was quite a site, and really punctuated the feeling of being in a truly wild place...

332679160_uwuPL-M.jpg

332678833_yqZ7V-M.jpg

332679554_PtfQf-M.jpg

The highway followed the lake for 30 miles or so, and with the wind howling like it was, we decided that a motel or cabin was in order. We stopped in the town of Destruction Bay and fueled up, and the guy at the gas station was nice enough to call around and see what was available for us. We ended up at Cottonwood RV campground. They had this really beautiful cabin by the lake. It was very nicely furnished, but had no electricity, or running water, and an outhouse out back. They did have showers and a laundry facility by the office. As we were checking in, the lady informed us to be careful using the outhouse because they had a bear invading the campground. About the time, the wildlife officials showed up with a bear trap. :eek2:

332680487_ddQQE-M.jpg

332681087_P5NVG-M.jpg

The cabin...
332684578_NgGsP-M.jpg

The view from the cabin window...
332683683_YWTx4-M.jpg

332683097_xjuDE-M.jpg

Al enjoying the view...
332682465_i46xJ-M.jpg

More views of Kluane Lake...

332686281_jbhHy-L.jpg

332687050_66Vbx-M.jpg

332687742_n9Eco-M.jpg

Mileage for Day 4: 465 miles
Total Mileage at end of Day 4: 1,665

More to come...

Day 5

After a good night's sleep in the warm cabin, and not a sign of the bear, we loaded up the bikes and headed back up the road to Destruction Bay for fuel and breakfast at the inn.

333241828_WJzNi-M.jpg

We hit the road and continued northwest toward the border.

333240343_usp8B-M.jpg

Between Destruction Bay and the border was probably the worst section of this road. There were some sections of gravel and miles of road with pretty heavy frost heave. Frost heave is where the freeze/thaw cycle in the ground under the road causes it to heave and buckle. In places it was like asphalt whoop-dee-doos. I was surprised by how much it can heave and not cracked, but there were still lots of potholes and broken pavement. It was a bit of a wild ride, and really slowed the RVs down a lot. We were always coming up on RVs to pass. I don't think I've ever seen so many RVs on one road in my life.

After crossing the border into Alaska, we encountered a pretty long section of road under construction. We had to sit and wait about 15 minutes for the pilot car, which we had to follow for several miles, including a few sections of soft dirt. Following a pilot car in front of you with a line of RVs behind you is not somewhere you want to be in soft dirt on a heavy bike. It was really nerve-wracking and I just prayed I didn't drop it. :pray: We were going slow, so I wasn't worried about getting hurt or anything, it just would have been really embarrassing.

333242196_kXCgn-M.jpg

We finally made it to Tok in the early afternoon, and by now it was raining pretty steady. We ate lunch at Fast Eddie's and made some phone calls. We were back in the U.S., and our cell phones were working again, and more importantly, no more international roaming charges! :clap:

333242683_PQHGx-M.jpg

After lunch and phone calls, we continued northwest toward Fairbanks. Just outside of Fairbanks, we made a quick stop in North Pole to visit one of my customers, Dick, a pharmacist who was storing some medication for me.

333243283_y7Z9v-M.jpg

Dick is a great customer and an old friend of my dad's. It had been several years since I had seen him, so we had a nice little chat, then we continued on our way into Fairbanks.

In Fairbanks, we had some trouble finding a place to stay. We had a campground marked in the GPS, but it turned out to be a house in a neighborhood. As did a few other campgrounds we looked up. We tried a few other ideas trying to find a place to camp or a cheap motel, but after two hours of ending up in rather unsavory places, we settled on a Comfort Inn. We had avoided it before because of the price, but every hotel/motel in this town was very expensive for what you got. The only places that were low priced looked like you could rent them by the hour.:eek2: The Comfort Inn turned out to be a good idea, as we got to do laundry and they let us work on the bikes in the covered drive.

Mileage for Day 5: 465
Total Mileage at end of Day 5: 2,130

Tomorrow: the Dalton Highway to the Arctic Circle!

I have to wonder how do you know what a "rent by the hour" place looks like. :pray: .... You don't, right?

Last edited:
I have to wonder how do you know what a "rent by the hour" place looks like. :pray: .... You don't, right?

I'll stick up for him... he was going by my experience and comments of the hotels in the area.

Now if you are going to ask how do I know.... well, lets just say it was a longgggg time ago and I was in my "experimenting" phase.:trust:

Now if you are going to ask how do I know.... well, lets just say it was a longgggg time ago and I was in my "experimenting" phase.:trust:

You are not old enough for it to have happened a longgggg time ago!:trust:

Back