• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

46 degrees and windy? Sure, let's ride.

TWTim

Reaction score
Britt called me this morning and said he wanted to go for a ride today -- not a call I was expecting on a cold, windy, slightly damp day. So I thanked him for ringing me up with the sole intention of brightening my day through laughter, but after I'd finished chuckling, he informed me that he was quite serious and that I was thereby ordered to meet him in one hour at the corner of Midland Drive and Andrews Highway.

I knew it was going to be slightly miserable, but decided to go anyway because I actually had another reason for getting out of doors today. I got a small, pocket-sized, high-definition 16:9 video camera for my birthday last week and had been dying to fiddle with it:

roadtriphdcam.jpg

I don't yet have any of today's video edited or loaded YouTube. I mainly just wanted to test it out. It works pretty well, but I'll know more when I have some sunshine to work with. Here is a reduced screen cap of my triple latte:

triplebreve.jpg

I needed a white balance on this next shot, but I didn't bring the manual with me, so the colors are kinda weird. These are two of the four bikes I saw all day today -- mine and Britt's:

dingobikesbux.jpg

Britt at the Odessa Starbucks, just before commenting that we should finish our coffee and ride back to Midland. The wind was making 46 degrees feel much colder than it should've:

thebrittcoldbux.jpg

So we drank up and headed out. When I got home, I noticed that the acorns are starting to fall from my Live Oaks:

zrexathomecold1.jpg

Cool! ;-) I do like that ZRX.

Thank you. So do I. :trust:

All the way home, in my mind, I kept repeating: "Man, I'm cold. Man, this bike is awesome. Man, I'm cold. Man, this bike is awesome. Man, I'm cold. Man, this bike is awesome."
:lol2:

Good to see that we were not the only ones out in the cold wind this weekend. TexasShadow and I were in the panhandle this holiday weekend exploring the canyon and caprock on our 250s. Her Sherpa and my XR don't offer much wind protection if any. The howling west Texas wind, temperatures in the high thirties, and heavy humidity made for a miserable morning, yet the afternoons offered up patches of sunshine and many photo opportunities that were treats to city dwellers.

DSC00104.jpg

A full writeup will be elsewhere on the forum, as time and work obligations allow.

Another ride report is in the works as well--Big Bend and the Davis mountains. We spent Saturday night in Odessa, and it was in the low 40s when we left Sunday morning... and it kept falling as we headed east. Saw 37 on the temp gauge somewhere between Midland and Abilene. Brisk! We passed a few other bikes out there, but I don't remember any specific models... I wonder if we passed each other at some point?

Tim, you've no doubt slipped a cog! But we still love you

That's good to know. My gramma always says that a friend is someone who believes you're a good egg even though you're obviously cracked.

:mrgreen:

Sounds like a cold blast. I thought this morning I'd be too cold to go far, 33º at 8am, but it warmed up quick and I rode to Bandera to meet Tom from SA and Dave from Bulverde... we had a nice brunch at OST and then off to Medina, Kerrville, Fredricksburg, Luckenbach, Boerne and then split and I headed out via pipe creek and back to bandera, tarpley and Utopia... sun setting on top of the road.... great fun! Hope to see most of you guys down this way Memorial Day for the TWT Rally!

Sounds like a cold blast. I thought this morning I'd be too cold to go far, 33º at 8am, but it warmed up quick and I rode to Bandera to meet Tom from SA and Dave from Bulverde... we had a nice brunch at OST and then off to Medina, Kerrville, Fredricksburg, Luckenbach, Boerne and then split and I headed out via pipe creek and back to bandera, tarpley and Utopia... sun setting on top of the road.... great fun!

That sounds great. I hope the weather this weekend is nice. I'm ready for a nice day trip, myself.

Back