• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

50 States "Must Visit" sites...

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
I'm going to start a thread here which needs to be a community effort for a possible project/trip I'm considering. Conversely, this can be a "best of the best" list beginning for anyone headed in any direction.

Of the places you have been - be them scenic, historical or just down right beautiful for an image - what are YOUR places that need to make the list? Is it a certain covered bridge in PA or a lobster house in MA? Is it a waterfall in MT or a certain redwood in CA? Or how about a certain set of switchback roads you can only see from the top of "x" place? In simple terms, what state, what is so beautiful that is worthy of the trip, and where is it?

GO!

As time permits, I'll fill in the holes... (#29)

Alabama
1) US Rocket and Space Center, Huntsville
2) USS Alabama, Mobile
Alaska
Arizona
1) Antelope Slot Canyon, Page
2) Hwy 191 at the NM border
3) Grand Canyon
Arkansas
California
1) Hwy 49, South from Placerville
Colorado
1) The Million Dollar highway
2) The Black Canyon, Gunnison
3) Rocky Mountain National Park
4) Houses clinging to the sides of the gully made of car hoods, windshields, Ward
5) North Clear Creek Falls Highway 149, near Creede and Lake City
6) Bridal Veil Falls, Telluride
7) Bear Creek Falls on The Million Dollar Highway, near Ouray
8) Cascade Falls, Ouray
9) Box Canyon Falls, Ouray
10) Engineer and Cinnamon Passes, between Lake City and Ouray
11) Maroon Bells Lake
12) IH 70, West out of Denver to Utah
Connecticut
1) Mystic Seaport, Groton
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
1) Hana Highway, Maui
2) The Pipeline, Oahu
Idaho
1) Henry's Fork of the Snake River - Water bubbling out from rocks/trout
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
1) MacLeod's Restaurant, Bucksport. Best tomato bisque soup
2) Jean Lafitte National Refuge
3) Lake Fausse Pointe
4) Main Street, New Iberia
5) Downtown area, Nacotoches
6) A drive through St. Martinsville
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
1) Battlefields, Vicksberg
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
1) Enchanted Loop, Northern NM
2) Carlsbad Caverns
3) Cumbres & Toltec train ride, Chama
New York
North Carolina
1) Lumber River Paddle, SE NC
2) Blue Ridge Mountains
3) The bald dome/waterfall, Stone Mountain State Park
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
1) Gettysburg Battlefield, Gettysburg
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
1) Mt Rushmore, Keystone
Tennessee
1) Jack Daniels Distillery, Lynchburg
2) American Museum of Science and Energy, Oakridge. Where the a-bombs were built
3) Bear Butte, just outside Sturgis
4) Hwy 441 between Gatlinburg, TN and Cherokee NC
5) Little river road off 441, outside Gatlinburg
6) Smokey Mountains
Texas
1) The Alamo, San Antonio
2) The Lexington, Corpus Christi
3) The Beach, Port Aransas
4) 1877 Ship Elissa/Sea Wolf park, Galveston
5) Big Bend National Park
6) Davis Mountains loop
Utah
1) The Narrows, Zion NP
2) Angel's Landing, Zion NP
3) Dead Horse Point State Park, Moab. Spectacular views
Vermont
Virginia
1) Tangier Island, in Chesapeake Bay - Mrs. Crocketts Crab Cakes
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Misc:
1) OK to AR Tilamena Skyway Hwy 71 to 7 The Ozarks

Last edited:
I really enjoy "The Million Dollar highway" in Colorado. The Enchanted loop in Northern New Mexico never gets old
either. Pullovers for those scenic pics.

The Black Canyon of the Gunnison is pretty cool as well as the road on the back side of the canyon.
Gunnison,CO

The Alamo to me is neat also. San Antonio,Texas

The Lexington CC,TX

Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico.

The beach at Port Aransas,Texas

1877 Ship Elissa/Sea Wolf park Galveston,Texas.

Cumbres & Toltec train ride. Chama,New Mexico.
https://youtu.be/bV_Wzcxp6HM

Last edited:
Huntsville, Al. US Rocket and Space Center

Mobile, Al. USS Alabama

Lynchburg, Tn. Jack Daniels Distillery

Oak Ridge, Tn. American Museum of Science and Energy. Where the abombs were built.

I gotta leave work but will add more later.

This can be things like the grand Tetons, or Moab arches. Those types of things are fair game. It's not about the trip but more about specific images and things to see and capture from an image standpoint that are wonderfully beautiful.

Last edited:
Lumber River Paddle in SE NC
x4f26IjcMUuYvapefefric7_kbmKF5UPVOYZtbxcw9aJBme5FqwcwtHqKwLKYfZ2wSIqqYcqoMGq08RIFLY=w967-h643-no.jpg

Rocky Mtn National Park, CO
PR5OmRM36c-HfDt71dsbnJ0b1QEAj3zAS6pYmYDlxsZhhE4aZdO-cUdrNzKHKt-xyjJfWpvvcraNv8uVD8f=w858-h644-no.jpg

my front porch-texas

Attachments

• drive pics 004.jpg
    drive pics 004.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Bucksport, ME - MacLeod's Restaurant - best tomato bisque soup I have ever eaten in my whole entire life (and the roads ain't bad either!)

Is Zion the place that has the sandstone 'tunnel' for lack of a better word that people photography with the sun rays coming top to bottom?

Scott are you wanting pictures also or just locations? Say Colorado waterfalls for a example? They are everywhere it seems.

Last edited:
Scott are you wanting pictures also or just locations? Say Colorado waterfalls for a example? They are everywhere it seems.

No need to post pictures here, just locations and what it is. If the TWT Hive says it's good for the list, I'm good with it. :-)

Brian in AZ has mentioned a switchback highway in his state a few times which looks awesome to ride/photograph. Just can't find it. Doh!

No need to post pictures here, just locations and what it is. If the TWT Hive says it's good for the list, I'm good with it. :-)

Brian in AZ has mentioned a switchback highway in his state a few times which looks awesome to ride/photograph. Just can't find it. Doh!

Wonder if he is talking about 191 on the border close to New Mexico???

Is Zion the place that has the sandstone 'tunnel' for lack of a better word that people photography with the sun rays coming top to bottom?

I don't think so. I haven't hiked all the trails. You're probably thinking of something like this, but you have to pay a Navaho guide because it's on their reservation. Money well spent probably, but there were high chances of rain both times I have been there and a flash flood would be bad.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ant...=W9ZcV4LhFYmxmQGolJHYBA#imgrc=9m2Ii23ttdCn2M:

Mississippi - Vicksburg, Battlefield.

Idaho - Henry's Fork of the Snake River, where it comes burbling out of the rocks and HUGE trout loll about just below the foot bridge . . . WHICH IS A PROTECTED AREA AND YOU CAN'T FISH THERE!

Wyoming - That bar/restaurant/motel/gas station just South of the SD stateline. Be there when the clones are headed to Sturgis, sit, watch, take pictures.

Sout' Dakota - Climb to the top of Bear Butte, just outside Sturgis, and take in the view, all around. Don't take pictures, just sit and soak it in. Go a week before Bike Week.

Hawaii - Oahu, The Pipeline, in a big storm. Don't even think about trying to take pictures; they're flat, those huge waves ain't!

Colo-RAD-o - Ward, houses clinging to the sides of the gully made of car hoods, windshields, etc. Y'might want to do that while rolling thru; folk who live there are sorta, ahhh, errm, ahem, iconoclastic.

Virginia - Tangier Island, in Chesapeake Bay, gotta go by boat, preferably sail with no engine, or one that's on the fritz so you have to sail in, and out. There are, like, 4 family names in the Graveyard and the folk there may not be, shall we say, the most beautiful in the world . . . but Mrs. Crockett's Crab Cakes are The BEST EVAH!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hwy 441 between Gatlinburg, TN and Cherokee NC
Little river road off 441 outside Gatlinburg, TN
Basically ALL roads through the Smokey Mountain national forest!

Back