• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

500cc's of Big Bend Stat

Our last day of riding in this report was the Cienega loop.
Yes sir, read that report in the past. Even sent it to folks wanting to play 20 questions with me before a trip to the bend area. Usually just scares them more, nobody wants to fold a finger nail over, would rather break an arm! šŸ˜„. The sand seems to affect folks the most. ā€œYou really need to go faster, lean backā€, never works, they have to get to that point themselves, takes time or sink/swim situations to come to the realization on your own.

1605566294902.jpeg

KsTeve, have you noticed while doing some recon on Google sat maps how some of that possible through 2-track past Chispa along the river toward Hancock is kind of "fuzzed out" a little? I've seen some info about some of those areas are intentionally distorted for border patrol reasons. You know...in full daylight I don't think I'd be too concerned about illegals, but who knows. That route would be great, and I'll bet it has a little bit of maintenance specifically for border patrol activities.

On the Hen Egg sneaker, I think all of that area is within the TR. The last vestige of human activity seems to be the small hunting camp of RV's parked on the west side of the TR ranch road before you really start getting into the creek for the more challenging parts. The hunters ATV/UTV tracks go for a way from their camp down this possible route. In fact I think it's hunters that have kept some of this route somewhat open. I know the two friends who went through a couple of years ago had some ledge challenges and some places where they lost the trail. From the sat pics the creek itself looks like an easy route, but you know how that goes sometimes.:twitch:

Tourmeister, on the cell service in the Cienega section, I have Verizon and I can usually get reception when I have a good sight line to Cienega Peak tower...but it does often to go in and out. That view from the top of the peak at the microwave towers is amazing on a clear day.

......some ledge challenges and some places where they lost the trail. From the sat pics the creek itself looks like an easy route, but you know how that goes sometimes.:twitch:

Sounds like you and I should go do it........

Be very careful if you do and good luck. I don't think Chispa to Ft Hancock has been possible for decades without tresspassing. I tried it years ago and ~10 miles in got politely stopped at a cattle guard between fence posts by two guys with AR15's leveled at their side. Tried some detours after that but everything petered out. It's mostly private ranches and roads.

Unless you want to ride on the MX side of the river, that is doable. Have tracks for that somewhere but never rode it yet.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Be very careful if you do and good luck. I don't think Chispa to Ft Hancock has been possible for decades without tresspassing. I tried it years ago and ~10 miles in got politely stopped at a cattle guard between fence posts by two guys with AR15's leveled at their side. Tried some detours after that but everything petered out. It's mostly private ranches and roads.

Unless you want to ride on the MX side of the river, that is doable. Have tracks for that somewhere but never rode it yet.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
I was talking about Hen Egg Sneaker. Sounds like Ft Hancock is for someone else......

That sounds like an interesting invite. I go to the BB area every year right after Thanksgiving for a 2.5 to 3 week stint...moving from Presidio, to Terlingua, the NP, and the BGWMA. This is the first year I'll have to miss BB due to a cancer surgery recovery for my wife. The result has been successful and a cure obtained, so I can live with that for sure. I'm afraid it will be getting too warm by the time her recovery is completed. Still, I want to hit that route, so I will check back when I'm free to see how your schedule is going.

I enjoy reading trip report threads, and thanks for this report. Looks like you had a really good time.

The result has been successful and a cure obtained, so I can live with that for sure. .......Still, I want to hit that route, so I will check back when I'm free to see how your schedule is going.

Successful results and recovery, good deal!! Big Bend will always be there. Take Care, Stevo

Hey Steve, great report! Have a question about the Chispa road. The TXDOT grid map shows the Chispa county road connecting to US190 intersecting at Lobo just south of Vanhorn. Also, the Roads of Texas mapbook shows some roads leaving Valentine but deadending. Were you able to leave 190 from Valentine and head south to the river road? If so, do you have a track of that? Thanks!

Hey Steve, great report! Have a question about the Chispa road. The TXDOT grid map shows the Chispa county road connecting to US190 intersecting at Lobo just south of Vanhorn. Also, the Roads of Texas mapbook shows some roads leaving Valentine but deadending. Were you able to leave 190 from Valentine and head south to the river road? If so, do you have a track of that? Thanks!
Hey There Jerrybo--where to enter Chispa Rd is the question. I went west of Valentine on Hwy 90 for 16 miles to RR 2017 (21 miles south of Van Horn) and went 3.5 miles down that paved road, there you hit dirt and will see the official Chispa Rd sign. Also, attached is a GPX file going from Marfa to Presidio the Chispa Way.

1617128912029.png

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Chispa GPX.gpx
    114.7 KB · Views: 189
Can Chispa road be done on a large bike?
I wouldn't hesitate on my Africa Twin. But be aware of conditions, recent rains.....or the other way, no rain. There are some sections with some sand and definitely signs of spots that flood. Under normal conditions with an average rider, should be ok. If you are traveling alone, just be careful and make sure you have stuff to be self sustaining for the what ifs, overnights in the bush etc.

Hey There Jerrybo--where to enter Chispa Rd is the question. I went west of Valentine on Hwy 90 for 16 miles to RR 2017 (21 miles south of Van Horn) and went 3.5 miles down that paved road, there you hit dirt and will see the official Chispa Rd sign. Also, attached is a GPX file going from Marfa to Presidio the Chispa Way.

View attachment 289289

GPX viewer
That track looks REMOTE.

I bet it's fun but my guess is you'd better take what you need....

Back