• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

500cc's of Big Bend Stat

KsTeveM

Say When
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Pylant
The desert has been calling. Just had to figure out how I wanted to get my fix. Didn’t get a Big Bend injection earlier this year due to the world madness, my reservations were all canceled by Uncle Brewster. When I was doing the initial planning for this trip, I was debating on riding my 701 out there and back from my house, San Marcos area. Past trips to Big Bend, I usually trailer 8-9 hours to a base and do day rides, sometimes I move the truck from park to park for a new scene. Decided I didn’t really want to do either of those options this time. So this trip will be a little different, going to blend some ADV riding with some good hard desert riding……my 500 just started itself.

1603714866426.png

Original plan was to camp off the bikes, moving camp each day. Two things ruined my plan. I wanted to check out the Chispa Rd, the obscurity and remoteness has had my interest. To make that work in this short trip, along with the camping, I wanted to stay at Chinati Springs. Well, they won’t let you tent camp right now cause of covid, and the cabin is a two night min, no worky for me. Next hurdle, get this, the State Park has the offroad trails shutdown. Too taxing on staff to rescue stuck jeepers. I swear Jeep JKs are the devil. Anyway, ruined my plan of remote camping in the Cienega area night 2. Really took the wind out of my sail, excitement diminished, had to regroup.

Ok, sticking with parts of my plan…..going light, trailering to Marathon, ditch the truck, live off bike for 3 days. Excitement half-staff. The 500 is ready to go, big desert mile attire and gear loaded, couple pics below of the 500. You will have to get back to work and wait for the ride report as we chew it up and feed ya small bites……..

1603714891051.png

1603714900777.png

Day 1— A tale of two 500s. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness. Mostly foolishness. Big Rob and I got up really early and trucked it to Marathon and dumped the truck at the RV park. Bikes were 100% packed and ready ahead of time, so all we had to do was unload, play dress up and rock out. The RV park there didn’t even charge anything to leave it there for a few days. Nice and friendly folks.

1603721514254.png

We really needed to get on with it since it was noon and we still had over 200 miles to ride on the bikes. We thumped our way through Alpine.

1603721542126.png

Kept going, hit Marfa, gassed up, watered up, grabbed a gas station sandwich, onward. Thought about buying some high heels, no room on the bike. We also stopped and got the highlights from the movie Giant.

1603721569806.png

1603721609824.png

My 500 has the 5.3 tank and good for our long stretch coming up. Rob’s 501 has a 4.1 tank since it is a 2017. We did the old gatorade bottle trick as that is too tight to chance, too many unknowns for me. As soon as we could, down the road a ways in Valentine, shoved the gas in the tank, collapsed the bottle, threw bottle away. Hoping that was enough for the 4.1…..so I decided to do the same, in case, why not. Always good to have a super tanker in weird situations. Finally, we were heading down Chispa Rd. I was immediately happy, the views were good and so glad to be off the pavement, that was a bit much for a knobbed out 500.

1603721643012.png

1603721163899.png

1603722183666.png

It was about 2pm and we were about half way with the bike riding, as far as mileage, to reach the final destination for the day. But the slower/unknown riding was coming up. Chasing the sunset was already on my mind, worrying about the what ifs etc. Clear the mechanism……enjoy the ride stupid. Ahh, here’s the good stuff, really remote dirt making our way south towards Candelaria along the river. I’ve been eye balling that stretch of dirt for a good long while and found limited information on it, so I was a little apprehensive for various reasons.

1603722689786.png

1603721218596.png

It worked out, no issues and terrain wise there was nothing too hard. The remoteness of it keeps vehicle travel down (never saw anyone) and kept it interesting here and there with sand. Couple gap gates. Found some water, was happy, beautiful scenery and could get my armor wet and ride in air conditioning for a little while.

1603721897860.png

1603721825037.png

1603722042927.png

One pretty good hill, decent grade and long, heard it had some nicknames. No biggie on our bikes, Rob is the spec right before the shadow from that rock tower.

1603721931782.png

I really enjoyed doing something unfamiliar to me and new perspectives on the views/scenery. Riding in the desert on an obscure route, sun to our back riding along the border, we were livin it.

1603722625332.png

1603722238703.png

We pulled into Presidio about 6:30pm to the Three Palms Hotel. Usually my Big Bend Day 1 is just getting to the heart of it in the truck with little or no riding when traveling with a larger group. Not so this trip, day 1 and we have well over 200 bike miles under our belts. Covid had Presidio with pretty limited restaurants open, some were permanently closed, and hours were weird. Barely got a burger next door at the Oasis before they closed at 7pm. I was told it was that or Subway that time of day. We ate, got squared up at the hotel, drank a couple beers, hot shower, then off to bed, tomorrow’s ride is the good stuff.

Day 2—The day before was a long one, so we slow rolled a bit, no alarm setting. Couldn’t hit breakfast at our normal place, closed down, older couple threw in the towel cause of covid limitations. Shifted a gear and went to the only open place we could find, The Bean I think it was. Was minding my own business waiting on the food and an older guy rolled up, in his mid 70s. I could see him looking the bikes over outside. He walks in, doesn’t say a word, whips out his smart phone and puts it in my face. I was a little taken aback, then I read the meme, Fourstrokes are for xussy’s. Ahh, now I see, I’m all in, had a good laugh. Good morning to you too sir!! The fella started talking to us about riding and then Rob recognized him. It was Paul Rodden from a cool youtube video with Graham Jarvis and Colton Haaker, Checkpoints. Give it a look if you haven’t seen it. I’m a Jarvis fan so I had seen it as well. What were the odds of running into that guy. Well, Paul hangs out in Presidio several weeks a year to ride across the border on his Beta 300. Phone numbers were exchanged, next trip to the desert already on my mind. And…..a bit of background on Chispa Rd—I had been wondering why it was called that, means Spark in Spanish. Rob and I had discussed fires, perhaps sparks off the blade of the equipment that cut the road etc. Well a local set me straight in broken English…..the guy that cut the road was from Marfa and his last name was Sparks. There you have it. Starting the morning off good, cool people and being educated. We shrugged off our weak bike choices, after all only a wuss would ride a 500cc dirt bike over 600 miles in 3 days.

1603739005445.png

We stopped at Ft. Leaton to doublecheck the State Park 4wd road closures, making sure there was no talking them into letting us ride the Cienega’s. Dang it, denied, really stupid, government, covid, limited public lands in Texas, no more stick shift 3/4 ton trucks being made, def fluid.......rant over, not having it, glass will be half full by darn......rolled on east to enjoy the day. There are worse things than having to ride that stretch of pavement in to Terlingua, could be at work reading about you riding somewhere, ha ha. BTW, I think Rob is color blind, but I didn't say anything. Don't tell him, I'm curious to see what he wears next time.

1603739037000.png

1603739096028.png

1603739124293.png

1603739154125.png

1603739196044.png

Made it to Terlingua/Study Butte, checked into the motel early, dropped some gear off. Left straight up at noon to head into the National Park. Now what. Been there done that many times. Rob had been here once a few years back on a KLR, did Old Ore and the pavement to Santa Elena/Maverick loop it sounded like. Now he is on the 501. Kind of like going up Pike’s Peak in a Pinto one time, then the next time in a Z06. You know Black Gap was on my mind, wish there was more of that unimproved section. The entrance booth was shutdown, no worries, we will stop at Panther Junction. We did, they informed me you only pay at the entrance booth. I'm like....but it was closed......Ranger annoyingly said since it was shutdown when we passed through (after noon), it is free for us today. I'll take it, but don't know why he was so grumpy, I think his pants were too tight from sitting around doing nothing. Decided to make a mini loop of Glen Springs, River Rd back around Mariscol Mine, then Black Gap back to Glen Springs. Normal stuff. Took a little break at the Mine, didn’t hike up, just enjoyed the shade of one of the old worker cabins.

1603739689783.png

1603739542246.png

1603739393720.png

1603739489830.png

Then back around via Black Gap. I didn’t even get a pic or Go Pro of the gap, it’s not really hard. Right in that gap area, Rob almost cased it on a rock, but he recovered last second. Glancing skid plate blow.

1603739626982.png

But the main hill heading out of that zone.....it is getting worse. Earlier in the day I told Rob about the story of a guy on a KLR several years ago that launched off the side and broke ribs etc. I went first, hugged the left to avoid the drop off side, I was a little messy but it went ok and I pulled it off. Rob…..he saw the right line was cleaner, till it wasn't. Must have been the gravitational KLR forces pulling him, about lost it down the side. He hopped off just in time and held it till I could scramble back to help get it back on the trail. I had big bikes on my mind. I sold my 701 a month ago and replaced it with a bigger bike, Africa Twin. All through this trip I was thinking about my ability to ride the Africa Twin on this exact 3 day route. This is the only spot that would give me pause, at least when it is brand new.....

1603739821179.png

Looking down on the bad spot, Rob giving his stuff happens signal. Then a pic looking up the trail after the bikes were up the worst of it.

1603739959539.png

1603740096427.png

We took a break at the top, it is an awesome view.

1603740129730.png

We stopped at Glen Springs and dunked our armor again, every little bit helps to keep you cool and the stamina up. Pulled out of that creek and ran into this guy, Big Jim, he was taking a nap. He was out of gas, stock tank on a Honda 450. I had plenty in the 500, gave him 3 water bottle's worth of gas, made sure it started and then rode out with him till he was good. I made him pose with his bike, told him it was going in the report….he was like, great, I’m the what not to do guy. It’s all good, enjoyed helping someone out....and taking their picture feeling stupid :-).

1603738712436.png

1603738888763.png

Rob hadn’t been in the Basin, so we detoured up there right quick. Lodge was closed, no cold beer. Total bummer. Snagged a pic and rolled out. The Porch was calling. I could smell cold beer and weirdos, kept me motivated for the rest of the slab we had to drone.

1603740336602.png

Porch was crazy crowded, the wait for the Starlight was too much, it was not a relaxing scene up there....and the sunset was not overly impressive. Drank one beer and rolled back down the hill a bit. Ate at Milagro’s Taco or something like that, new to me place. Had 5 tacos for $10 and had a couple BYOB beers. Then back to our digs, holed up at the Chisos Mining Inn. My first time in the motel section, usually in one of the Easter Eggs up the hill or good ole cabin 19. They have new management, don’t have to send a check anymore to make reservations. Use to piss me off, now I am kind of sad they got all sophistimicated. Hope they don’t fix the floors, replace the mattresses or remodel the bathroom in cabin 19, that will change the experience too much.

1603740424932.png

1603740455052.png

That cabin is something everyone should experience, with 3 other riders. That's the spot several years ago that Silver Bullet exposed us to “ain’t nobody got time for that”. I was crying. Good times. Sweat dreams, tomorrow’s ride is the good stuff.

1603740474029.png

Day 3—Over the years a few people have accused me of making the last ride day the hardest. It’s not intentional per say, and is it hardest or coolest? Well, this one was headed that direction I guess by design (boredom), but ended up throttling back a bit. First up, we got into the Terlingua Ranch complex, Solitario side most of the day. I always enjoy that scene and the weather was absolutely awesome, incredibly beautiful morning. Nice and cool for several hours.

1603814775496.png

1603814627921.png

1603814654814.png

1603814742125.png

Then we got into a little bit of weirdness way up in the northern section, self-induced as I wanted some wilder stuff. Got in a wash/road for a good bit, Rob decided he wanted to check on his skid plate bolts. The trail was deteriorating on us pretty fast. I was stoked.....

1603814912424.png

1603814959673.png

1603815003750.png

1603815030839.png

1603815093904.png

1603815498265.png

1603815068536.png

Got a little further, then was denied by a righteously loose and steep hill. Walked it, there was several more past it that you could see and not sure we could do the one in front of us loaded with our crap. Was contemplating unloading and hitting it. Then thought about the facts. Already after noon, limited gas (without doubling back to town), same with our water supply, it was starting to get hot, still had about 100 miles to go for the day, and not even sure this trail is possible/comes out. It hurt to turn around, not in my nature. But decided it was not worth getting hurt or cracking a case when we were that far from the truck still. This is our last day, let’s roll on for the smooth fun desert riding vs. beating ourselves up/possibly breaking. That was basically the first half of the day.

1603815223321.png

1603815254960.png

Were these Ranch Roads in the Solitario? They don't look familiar.

So you ended up buying the Africa twin huh! Great reporting as usual.

Day 3 cont....We made our way back south, got into the Herman’s Peak/Henn Egg area and checked out Ten Bit Ranch a little bit on the way out of the west side.

1603890135841.png

1603890153482.png

1603890163376.png

1603890173898.png

1603890181552.png

1603890191331.png

1603890201422.png

1603890210409.png

Slid out of that zone and headed for Lake Ament, took a break, forgot to take a pic, I’m fired. Jumped a heard of audad in that general area, about twenty of them, snagged a pic as they were cresting the hill. There were some granddaddy’s in that group. I have read that they were removed from parts of the national park, jacking with the desert bighorn population and mule deer. Well, I can tell you they are alive and doing well in the Christmas Mountains.

1603890219966.png

Then up and over the mountain we went. Wish there was more of that kind of road/trail, really nice. About the time you forget you’re in Texas, back to reality and roads you can do in a Corolla.

1603890228673.png

1603890237778.png

I wanted to skirt south of the Christmas Mountains before heading back to the truck. We were rolling right past Terlingua Ranch HQ, stopped to see about a cold soda, it was getting hotish. Got surprised, the Café was open, at 2:30pm, with Covid crap going on. We got in the AC, had a burger, some sweet tea and reset a bit. Really glad they were weathering the covid storm, lucky for us cause that was an awesome middle of nowhere break. Also borrowed their water hose and doused ourselves again before rolling out.

1603890246274.png

1603890253749.png

1603890263803.png

Then hit our last leg of the trip. Ventured to the south side of the Christmas Mountains, I hadn’t been back in that zone. Did a little loop and then back around to the sediment highway. If you are sand averse, don’t take the Marathon Rd my friend. I love it on the 500. Now that my normal big bike was sold, 701, and I have a new big big bike, Africa Twin, hoping I don’t have a miserable time in the sand in the future. Throttle usually solves all problems, till it doesn’t :-).

1603890271384.png

1603890279623.png

We made it to 385, then droned some slab, took a break about half way.

1603890287263.png

Got there and loaded the bikes up……then beer, showers, beer, chillax, beer. Reminisced about the trip. Beer. Pretty happy with the way it turned out. Beer. We left the house Thursday at 5am, got to Marathon about lunch time, unloaded and put a couple hundred miles on the bikes making our way west, then southeast via Chispa Rd, rolled into Presidio at 6:30pm. Friday we bugged out of Presidio on the bikes late morning enjoying 170 and dropped some of our gear in Terlingua about lunch time, then hit the National Park/Black Gap/Basin, another couple hundred miles for the day. Saturday we ate up some Terlingua Ranch stuff heading north, then east/ne, put in another couple hundred miles as we made our way back to the truck in Marathon. 621 miles on the 500s in 3 days. Sunday ride home was nice to be just 6 hours from home vs. the usual 8 or 9 from Big Bend proper. The RV park was cool, only cost $15 for everything, leaving the truck there for 3 days and camping there one night. I slept in the back of my truck, Rob hit a cot on the trailer. Temps were great, stars were awesome, may have drank a beer, we were dream scheming about the next trip, ahh that’s the good stuff.

1603890301560.png

What a great write and photos .... keep them coming.
Thanks Sandman. Another installment this morning, that wraps up that trip. Have about 4 more bouncing around in my head.....

Looks like a good trip.

You know you want to go back and find out what is beyond that steep loose hill climb.

So you ended up buying the Africa twin huh! Great reporting as usual.
Yup, much analysis paralysis, but I finally made a decision, thank you for your input Misterk. Only put 71 miles on it so far, the first day. Parked it in my garage and started working on it. Had to get it dirt worthy. I'm ready now. Just had this Big Bend trip that took priority the last few weeks, prep and execution.

1603974018155.png

That's a good looking bike. Wish they did tubeless on that model.

That's a good looking bike. Wish they did tubeless on that model.
I hear you, it's on my mind. But I do like the simplicity of a tube and the spokes protected in the middle. Mostly my lack of experience with tubeless probably. Kubotamike turned me onto Outex conversion. I might go that route down the road. We will see how things go. I got the center stand so at least I can attempt a field patch.

Excellent ride and report. I'm a long time BB'er too. That was interesting on the BBRSP backroads being closed. Would not have thought they would have done that...talk about social distancing...LOL! The Cienega is pretty much my favorite too.

I was really pleased to hear your report and see the pics of the Chispa. I've hammered out most everything in the BB area, but that's my last big one to scratch off the list. I definitely agree on the uphill part of Black Gap. Even on the years that it's worse than others it's not really that bad, but line choice is fairly important. The erosion ruts get big at times.

Over the years I got a lot of good info and rides with a long time BB'er...sometimes referred to as "Where's Waldo?" His knowledge of the T-Ranch roads and trails is great. No kidding about the myriad of dead-end side routes out there...and that little venture in the BBRSP from the Solitario guzzler is interesting. There is also a route off of Hen Egg road that goes north to Agua Fria that I haven't done yet on the list...sketchy and a little hard to read in places. You may already know of it.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your AT for the rides/trips it is suited for. OP, since you're a BB and an AT guy let me share a BB Africa Twin story. Three or four years ago while camped in Rio Grande Village in December, I met a guy who trailered a 2017(?) AT from Florida to do the BB area. He had been a Harley guy, and he bought the AT brand new in FL...a smooth dirt road was his extent of off pavement experience. I suggested to him some easier pavement and dirt roads as I thought he wasn't ready for Old Ore or Black Gap...and the wrong bike for a new guy on real dirt. I rode other areas on a highly modded KLX250/300S while he rode the easy stuff.

We would meet up in camp in the evening over some adult beverages and talk about our day's ride. He was a nice guy, and we hit it off pretty good. I told him I was doing the river road the next day. He said he'd like to go. I was leery due to his lack of dirt experience, but as you know the river road isn't that tough. I found something else out about the guy the evening before that ride. He let me know he was a recently retired navy seal...maybe to remove some concern that he would wimp out or such...LOL! Later, I did see his military ID, and he looked like he had just come from a Taliban meeting...sure looked the part at least.

Anyway, on to the ride. We started from RGV campground and headed west. Everything was normal on trail conditions, and the weather was perfect. A little before Glenn Springs intersection we started hitting standing water and mud holes. Apparently before our arrival in BB there had been some substantial rains. We've all seen the dried ruts and dry bog holes that show how the road can hold water, but I'd never had to ride it shortly after a rain. At first we skirted and tip-toed through the water and mud, but as it went on to the west we encountered very long mud/water sections that you just had to plow through...some as long as 100 yards at a stretch. After a couple of these, I told him we should turn around because I didn't think there was any way for him to continue with his bike and riding experience. He said he still wanted to go forward so off we went. I've raced enduros for decades, and some of them have been some real turd floaters. The condition on the river road at some points was close to some of the worst of those...LOL!

Here's the amazing thing. My bike and riding experience allowed me to waddle, slide, and roost my way through. I would go first to test depth and line selection, and then wait at the end of that stretch...knowing I was going to have wade out to help him pick up his bike when it went down. Guess what?...I never had to rescue him or his bike. He put on some spectacular slides, rooster tails many feet high, legs flailing...but...he never went down. I was in awe and provided much back slapping and hoorahing!...LOL! This was not the terrain or conditions for an AT whatsoever. I know from many years of riding out west and running across guys on huge, heavy, ADV bikes in places that make me say "WTH!"...LOL! But seeing an off road greenhorn ride that beast through some of the stuff we went through was awesome. If that guy wasn't a navy seal, he sure acted like one...LOL!

Anyway OP, sorry for the intrusion, but if you get your big AT in a similar mud run at some point, just recall this story.:rider:

Hey TNC, thanks for the reply, good stuff and certainly not an intrusion, enjoyed it. Couple thoughts.

Chispa Rd--scratching that off your list......food for thought, next time if I am on a thumper, I am just going to head down Pinto Canyon and then go up Chispa about a third of the dirt (best part), then turn around. I hate doubling back, like a lot, but I hated that pavement from Marathon past Valentine on my 500 even more. If a few years go by and I am on the Africa Twin, different story, might still do it the Valentine way, depending on who is with me. Also thought about if on big bike and starting the day earlier, include Ft. Davis in that loop. Another adventure out there......I ran into a local in Presidio at breakfast the next morning that was interested in what I was doing. He shared that you can also go north on Chispa all the way to Ft. Hancock area. Hmmm. Haven't researched it past my hmmm, filed it away.

Agua Fria--I went into that zone from 118 on Agua Fria several years ago and did my normal, cruising around by braille and just reading the terrain. I have plotted a through route on some old roads/washes but haven't done it yet. I have several routes out there in my head for future trips, but it will be a trip that is using a Terlingua Ranch VRBO as a base, not a marathon through trip situation living off the bike.

Navy Seal on River Rd--cool story for sure. I am certainly not a new dirt rider, but at the same time certainly not as hard core as a Navy Seal. Those guys are true athletes and have a special gift being able to "shut it off" when things get tough. A lot of the big rides involve mental toughness. I was a soldier in a past life, we called it embrace the suck. I have also been teaching my kids on their dirt bikes that you ride to the conditions. Situational awareness is so key......to a lot of things in life. My favorite attribute when dealing with other riders, their hackability. And I don't mean nerd skills.

Take Care, Steve

Hey TNC, thanks for the reply, good stuff and certainly not an intrusion, enjoyed it. Couple thoughts.

Chispa Rd--scratching that off your list......food for thought, next time if I am on a thumper, I am just going to head down Pinto Canyon and then go up Chispa about a third of the dirt (best part), then turn around. I hate doubling back, like a lot, but I hated that pavement from Marathon past Valentine on my 500 even more. If a few years go by and I am on the Africa Twin, different story, might still do it the Valentine way, depending on who is with me. Also thought about if on big bike and starting the day earlier, include Ft. Davis in that loop. Another adventure out there......I ran into a local in Presidio at breakfast the next morning that was interested in what I was doing. He shared that you can also go north on Chispa all the way to Ft. Hancock area. Hmmm. Haven't researched it past my hmmm, filed it away.

Agua Fria--I went into that zone from 118 on Agua Fria several years ago and did my normal, cruising around by braille and just reading the terrain. I have plotted a through route on some old roads/washes but haven't done it yet. I have several routes out there in my head for future trips, but it will be a trip that is using a Terlingua Ranch VRBO as a base, not a marathon through trip situation living off the bike.

Navy Seal on River Rd--cool story for sure. I am certainly not a new dirt rider, but at the same time certainly not as hard core as a Navy Seal. Those guys are true athletes and have a special gift being able to "shut it off" when things get tough. A lot of the big rides involve mental toughness. I was a soldier in a past life, we called it embrace the suck. I have also been teaching my kids on their dirt bikes that you ride to the conditions. Situational awareness is so key......to a lot of things in life. My favorite attribute when dealing with other riders, their hackability. And I don't mean nerd skills.

Take Care, Steve
Steve, a couple of your comments got me curious. I have no desire to drone on the highway miles to do the Chispa Road deal as a big loop, especially considering I'd be parked at the little RV camp east of Presidio for my base. You mention that the best part of Chispa is the southern leg. Did I read you correctly on that? If so, I'd do an out-and-back along 170 to Chispa and then back. On out-and-backs, over time I've gotten more favorable to many of them because I find the scenery is often a different perspective going back. I do like big dirt loops, but that Chispa deal has too much pavement for my liking and my bike...sounds like you feel the same. Since you mention doing it on an AT later, I take it that Chispa isn't that challenging. I didn't see any big red flags in your pics.

Your Ft. Hancock comment had me looking at sat views and other maps. I can see routes that eventually make it all the way from Presidio to Ft. Hancock with some veering away from the river once or twice, but I wonder how much of that is on private land? That would be an awesome route if possible.

Also let me clarify something on my Hen Egg to Aqua Fria route I mentioned. The road off of 118 to go there would actually be the one directly across from the main Terlingua Ranch Road...or "mailboxes" as the locals refer to it. I notice Aqua Fria Road is further north. The route I mention roughly follows Terlingua Creek all the way to Hen Egg road where it crosses the creek.

Chispa--as long as there hasn't been any serious rain, you shouldn't have any trouble, you can see where the road has been doctored over the years. Some sandy sections here and there, but no big deal if you have experience. If I were on a little dual sport, out and back would be my plan. If I was on my Africa Twin, toss up with where you are staying, you could do Pinto Canyon north and then drone to Valentine for a loop. Agree with the out and back regarding perspectives, but like most, my brain doesn't sit well with the out and back, feels counterintuitive. But in this case, seems logical.

Ft Hancock--the local I ran into, he said he did it. I didn't do any research past that. I agree, it did perk my interest as well. But that would be some serious remote stuff, gas and water would be high on my list of worries.....along with gates/ranchers and illegal border activity.

Hen Egg Sneaker--copy that. You can see a lot of old roads intertwined with the creeks out there. Fun, as long as you don't step on any toes.

KsTeve, enjoyed another great report from you: Chispa, Gorilla Hill, sand, Hen Egg, Pinto Canyon, etc etc. All great stuff and you did yourself proud. I haven't been on Black Gap so that's a "gap" I need to fill.

Looking forward to hearing/seeing you out on your new BIG BIKE!

While you were in the desert, I motored up to Helena, AR and soloed west across Arkansas on the TAT. Not like Big Bend or the Rockies, of course, but still good riding. I'd call it "Delta to Drop Zone". The short, rough, rock strewn section on Warloop Road in the western part of the state was blanketed in deep, damp leaves, completely disguising the rutted terrain, rocks, and outcrop steps. Once you commit downhill, you're committed. Unfortunately, I picked a sub-optimal line near the end, only to have the rear end slide and hit that square-edged boulder, and we went down in a heap. It was literally the last boulder on the descent :yawn:. As usual, no one around to help so it was just one old guy to lift the GS.

IMG_1599.jpg

It was a completely different experience from out west. Some mudholes here and there, a few water crossings, flat delta, great mountain roads in the Ozarks. But you'd probably be bored with only one section of rocks.

Stay safe,
Mike

Last edited:
KsTeve, enjoyed another great report from you: Chispa, Gorilla Hill, sand, Hen Egg, Pinto Canyon, etc etc. All great stuff and you did yourself proud. I haven't been on Black Gap so that's a gap for me.

Looking forward to hearing/seeing you out on your new BIG BIKE!

While you were in the desert, I ran up to Helena, AR and soloed across Arkansas on the TAT. Not like Big Bend or the Rockies, of course, but still good riding. I'd call it "Delta to Drop Zone" - the rough, rock strewn section on Warloop Road in the western part of the state was blanketed in deep, damp leaves, completely disguising the terrain, rock outcrops, and steps. Once you commit downhill, you're committed. Unfortunately, I picked a sub-optimal line, only to have the rear end slide and hit that square-edged boulder, and we went down in a heap. It was literally the last boulder on the descent :yawn:. As usual, no one around to help so it was just one old guy to lift the GS.

View attachment 279423
It was a completely different experience from out west. You'd probably be bored with only one section of rocks.

Stay safe,
Mike
Good stuff man, I have been considering doing the TAT across AR and work east another state or so. Time is my problem. Might do it in April or so next year on big bike. Most years in the spring time I do an Arkansas and/or Big Bend run.

I am leaving next week Thanksgiving for a family riding trip to Mena Arkansas, Wolf Pen Gap/Sugar Creek. So I might be slipping around in the leaves like you were. My daughters are on KLX 140s, son is on CRF 125, wife on TRX250. Thought about riding the Africa Twin with them to practice trails on it, but will probably just ride the XCW, a lot simpler.

However this weekend I will get some big bike time to push over the mileage for my break in oil change. I am going somewhere on the Africa Twin, haven't decided where. Looking like I will be solo as folks flake out. I don't mind riding alone as bad as I mind being alone at camp/hotel, so boring. Could go west and do the Bull Head Creek, Nueces, Rocksprings, Juno, Pecos thing. Could go east and do the ET 500. Thought about going north and finishing up a ride in the San Saba area I didn't complete earlier this year. Have bike will travel.

1605549994713.png

There are worse things than having to ride that stretch of pavement in to Terlingua, could be at work reading about you riding somewhere, ha ha.

Truer words have never been spoken... :zen:

The Cienega stuff is fun, but I don't think I would want to do it on a big bike. I did it on my 530 EXC and it was great. There are some sections where the road is essentially a rocky creek bead of baby head boulders. Other sections were deep loose silt/sand. It is also VERY remote and sees almost no traffic. There was no cell service when I was there. So if anything goes wrong, you will want something like a SPOT.

As for the Seal story, sometimes new riders can do amazing things just because they don't know they shouldn't be able to. Then they start to learn just how wrong things can go and they get a little more inhibited :-P

Truer words have never been spoken... :zen:

The Cienega stuff is fun, but I don't think I would want to do it on a big bike. I did it on my 530 EXC and it was great. There are some sections where the road is essentially a rocky creek bead of baby head boulders. Other sections were deep loose silt/sand. It is also VERY remote and sees almost no traffic. There was no cell service when I was there. So if anything goes wrong, you will want something like a SPOT.

As for the Seal story, sometimes new riders can do amazing things just because they don't know they shouldn't be able to. Then they start to learn just how wrong things can go and they get a little more inhibited :-P

Cienega type stuff is my happy place.

1605555424113.png

Reactions: JMZ
Back