• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

50CC ride attempt

The spot looks like he has stopped in Kerrville at the best western Sunday house inn at 10:51pm. Hard to imagine riding all those hours, he!! I had a couple of naps today alone. Hopefully Brian is actually sleeping . That's gotta be a real challenge getting your brain to shut down to sleep when that's exactly what you have been trying to avoid for the last day and night. 16 hours to Jacksonville Florida

Last edited:
Life sucks right about now. I chucked it in last night in Kerrville, and after I got into the room I found out the area was under a Flood Watch. Weather Bug showed the rain easing up at 3 am so I set the alarm for 4 and got about 5-6 hours of sleep.

I woke up to this:

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=1e19fe1f5fe101615bc9302afd4ac929&oe=5BF1361F

and a 100% rain prediction for most of the day. I don't mind riding in the rain, but I dislike it in the dark... in deer country... and with so much traffic around I can't use all my available candlepower to spot Bambi in advance.

The hotel has a made to order breakfast at the restaurant next door at 7. Sunrise is at 7:19, so I'm going to have a good meal and then hit the road.

I most likely will not make the 50 hour cutoff for the certificate, but I'm not going to be foolhardy about trying to get a piece of paper.

Now, the adventure so far... I got a hotel just 2 miles from my starting gas station which is only 1/2 mile from the beginning of I-8. However, the hotel was next to the departure flight path for San Diego's airport and I got minimal sleep during the day. I also had minimal sleep the prior night since I got to the hotel about 1 am and my internal clock woke me up at 5:30 am.

I was up at 11 pm. Packed and on my way by 12:05. Fueled and ready to go about 12:25 am. But... "See attendent for receipt"!!!! The pumps were lit up but the station was dark even though an OPEN sign was blazing in the window. I walked up to the door and sure enough, it was locked. But then I spied one of those bank teller drive-through windows, tapped on the glass and a guy came out from the back room to issue me my receipt.

Lesson learned: Don't top off the tank in case you need to move to another pump to get a receipt. I still had other options though, there was a Jack In The Box across the street where I could have gotten a receipt, or a local ATM. It doesn't have to be an actual fuel receipt (although that is preferred), it just has to have the date/time/address.

Coming in to Yuma I came around a curve to find a semi parked on the right shoulder so I dimmed my lights only to run across not one, but two tire gators the semi had just thrown off. Fortunately for me they were just partial sections of tread and not the entire tread section. It was still a harsh enough hit to knock loose my right side highway peg and give the bike quite a shimmy at the point of impact but I stayed upright.

Weather was great the entire trip until Ft Stockton. At that point the sprinkles started off and on, and then once the sun went down I was in constant rain, some light, some misting, and some moderate. Not being able to run at speed, not being able to see deer on the sides, and being tired (on the bike for 20 hours) I decided to call it a day when approaching Kerrville and saw signs for hotels.

I'll be back on the road in about 90 minutes and once I get to the east of San Antonio things should lighten up a bit.

I'll be leaving FL before Florence gets there, but depending upon its track, I may be dealing with rain for the next week. Ugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad safety is more important to you than the paper. Your giving us all a lesson in distance travel and watching spotwalla.

Brian, congratulations on using wisdom and modifying the ride plan. Rain and pitch black roads in the middle of nowhere can make for a dangerous mix.

...there will always be another LD challenge with more optimal conditions.

Ride Safe,

RB

What FCBH said. I popped up the spotwalla this morning and knew something was off. Glad to see you decided to ride smart instead of riding hard. Enjoy the rest of the ride and may the rain gods smile upon you the rest of the way and leave you alone.

September in texas, if it does rain, thats when it happens. That radar looks clear for the rest of the way.

I drove 17 hrs by myself in a car when i was young and decided I hated doing that , felt like **** afterwards (drank too much coffee).

Brian, you're a credit to our LD community. Just did new calculations, he still has a shot at success. If I have the time correct, he has about 920 miles to go. He should have right at 14.5 hours left at of the 50 hour limit. He'll need a + 63 mph average. Leaves precious little break time, just gas and go. I'm rooting for him. Having done multiple Iron Butts myself I know how bad he wants it at this point. At the minimum he will complete 2 back to back SS1000s, quite a feat in itself. WTG Brian.

Brian, you're a credit to our LD community. Just did new calculations, he still has a shot at success. If I have the time correct, he has about 920 miles to go. He should have right at 14.5 hours left at of the 50 hour limit. He'll need a + 63 mph average. Leaves precious little break time, just gas and go. I'm rooting for him. Having done multiple Iron Butts myself I know how bad he wants it at this point. At the minimum he will complete 2 back to back SS1000s, quite a feat in itself. WTG Brian.

So should he have already got the 1500 mile deal from yesterday? Sounds like you would know.

Traffic is more challenging in eastern region even though it's a Sunday.

Wonder if would be best to try from east to west? ( Understanding Brian already lives in West so not practical.)

Last edited:
No. He didn't get the Bun Burner Gold, that's 1500 in 24 hours. He would have had to make Baytown by 2:25 AM CDT this morning. He might have a shot at achieving the Bun Burner 1500 in 36 hours. The Gold 1500 is a Iron Butt Insanity ride, I've tried twice without success. My best was 26:15, close but no cigar. He's doing GREAT considering the conditions.

If he stops beyond Cove, Tx within 30 minutes and gets a receipt, he should be able to get credit for a 1500 Bun Burner. If he did start at 12:25 AM PDT then he has to get a receipt prior to 2:25 PM CDT. If someone knows how to get in touch with him immediately, they should. If my experience is any indication, his math skills are probably lacking a bit right now. HECK OF A RIDE!

If he stays on the bike he has this one easy. Hes got 14 hours and its 11 hours to Jacksonville. That is if the weather holds out.

Radar looks decent. Who woulda thunk it, coast to coast and the worst rain is in Texas?

Just checking my math. He left San Diego at 12:25AM, so that's 2:25am CDT. That means he needs to get well into Jacksonville by 4:25AM our time , right?
So if that's correct, Brian's got 8 hours to do the last 400 miles. He should make it,but I know how fatigued he is, and the games the mind starts to play. I think most riders would have thrown in the towel dealing with the deluge he pushed through.
I don't know Brian, but hope to someday.

HE
COULD
GO
ALL
THE
WAY

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back