• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

50CC ride attempt

Junction, Texas seems to be a popular spot to sleep for a few hours during the cc ride.

RB

Sometimes Junction is a popular spot to sleep for a few days til Monday when court is back in session because you were speeding through.

Probably not a concern for a 50cc though.

Average riders look at Iron Butt Riders like they are crazy. Iron Butt Riders know there's a whole nuther level of crazy out there. Those guys plan their vacation time around how many certs they can complete. They plan out rides that aren't even certified. One of those guys is on the FJR forum. He's done the four corners gold or something and a ton of other rides. He rode from his home in the Miami area to Austin just to ride along with a guy doing the SS2K and then turned around and rode back home. He headed out one day and alternately turned his spot tracker off and on many times to spell out "FJR" across the state of Florida. Whole nuther level of crazy.

Incidentally Texas T, I may have missed it but how much downtime did you have while waiting out the weather and how much spare time on the end did you have?

Average riders look at Iron Butt Riders like they are crazy. Iron Butt Riders know there's a whole nuther level of crazy out there. Those guys plan their vacation time around how many certs they can complete. They plan out rides that aren't even certified. One of those guys is on the FJR forum. He's done the four corners gold or something and a ton of other rides. He rode from his home in the Miami area to Austin just to ride along with a guy doing the SS2K and then turned around and rode back home. He headed out one day and alternately turned his spot tracker off and on many times to spell out "FJR" across the state of Florida. Whole nuther level of crazy.
And not THIS weekend, but NEXT you'll find an infestation of us in Allen TX for the weekend. Come on out and take a look at some very well farkled bikes: http://www.ironbutt.com/texas/

Who knows, some of the guys running FLIR systems might even be there.

Incidentally Texas T, I may have missed it but how much downtime did you have while waiting out the weather and how much spare time on the end did you have?
I think I got the hotel room about 10 - 11 pm, and got my start gas receipt about 8:30 am the next morning.

I finished at about 47H 39M so I had a cushion of about 2H 20M. And no, I was not twisting the wick. I would ride with the flow and if that was greater than the limit then great. If the flow was near the limit then I'd ride the limit. The time you gain by speeding is certainly going to be eaten up by the time spent on the side of the road having a performance conversation with the Trooper.

You sure got your certificate back quick. You going to try for the BBG next time?

That was my third BBG attempt. The first was Phx - Las Cruces - Hardin MT. I think I made it, but didn't send in the paperwork and don't know where it is. If I can find it and it looks good I'll submit it.

The second was a secret to establish a new certified ride known only to Lord Kneebone and myself. From the border crossing at Douglas AZ to the border crossing at Morgan MT ridden ONLY on Hwy 191 from one end to the other. For those of you familiar with that highway, yes, it is the Devils Highway with 1000+ sweepers, curves, turns, and hairpins over a 90 mile stretch from Morenci AZ to Alpine AZ, and then the next challenging bit was Flaming Gorge UT.

I missed a deer south of Alpine by inches but found out my ABS works good, but when I hit Flaming Gorge it was night and full of more deer and elk than I have seen on a road in a long time. I came around one curve to find a deer just standing in the road looking at me. As I ground to a stop, he/she just casually walked away. Most left hand curves would allow the lights to illuminate more deer in the brush to the side of the road, and I had one Elk trot across the road in front of me.

At that point I just backed it down to about 35-50 mph and for the next hour just made my way to Rock Springs WY where I called it a night. :giveup:

The 50 CC plan included a BBG because I intended to make it to Beaumont within 24 hours, but due to the rains... those plans were a washout. :trust:

I work in retail so my next few months are occupied other then the Dallas trip next week, so I'm thinking next March will be a good time to take a long weekend and do a round trip ride to Ozona. That's about 757 Google miles one way and really keeps me out of the thick of deer country between there and San Antonio. It might still be chilly crossing the Divide in NM but I've got heated gear.

Someone had asked about fuel costs for the ride.

16 fuel stops including the beginning and ending stops.

$219.80 total cost

Lowest price = $2.439 in Scott LA

Highest price = $3.899 in San Diego CA

Total gallons pumped = 76.446

Avg gallons pumped = 4.777 (capacity is 6.5-6.75 depending upon what source you use)

Most pumped = 5.888 gallons

Least pumped = 3.339 gallons at Buc-ee's in Luling because I had never (although living in TX for almost 20 years) been inside one.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks. I haven't found out yet why they capped the SS2K at 2,177 miles instead of the full 2,373.

I was told by another rider that you can't certify two different rides with the same mileage from the same ride, so whomever handled my paperwork cut me off in Tallahassee which gave me in excess of the 2,000 miles needed, yet done in under 48 hours.

Someone had asked about fuel costs for the ride.

16 fuel stops including the beginning and ending stops.

$219.80 total cost

Lowest price = $2.439 in Scott LA

Highest price = $3.899 in San Diego CA

Total gallons pumped = 76.446

Avg gallons pumped = 4.777 (capacity is 6.5-6.75 depending upon what source you use)

Most pumped = 5.888 gallons

Least pumped = 3.339 gallons at Buc-ee's in Luling because I had never (although living in TX for almost 20 years) been inside one.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I wanted to ask but thought improper...since you brought it up, What was the total for this 50cc. not counting your obvious extracurricular vacation activities

$$$, moolah, bones, dinero, cashola to rock-an-rola.

For just the 50 CC the cost is above. The only thing to add to that would be the hotel in Kerrville (probably about $90) and misc small purchases of jerky, 5 Hour Energy, water ($20).

In addition to that would be two fill-ups in Chandler AZ when I left and a refill in Yuma before reaching San Diego (so about $25). Two nights in the hotel in San Diego (although I left at midnight on day 2) so that's another $200 and one meal of about $10 and another $10 on misc snacks.

Upon reaching JAX I already had the wife installed in the hotel, and we spent an additional night there for me to recuperate, so another 300+ for that and dinner with friends the second night. Oh, and I forgot the airfare to fly her from PHX to JAX; probably $500-$600?

The next two nights were in TN with friends so just $20 or so for pizza and snacks.

The next four nights were in Branson at my timeshare, so $0 for lodging and then another $100 or so for food. The Tommy James tickets had previously been paid for, but that was another couple hundred for the show and dinner.

The next night in Wichita was one hotel and dinner with friends - about $150.

Canyon TX the next night and dinner with a friend - about $150.

Albuq the next night and dinner with friends - about $150.

Show Low the next 2 nights and dinner with my sister - About $55,000 since she talked me into buying a retirement home in her park. I saw it Friday afternoon, made an offer Friday night, the offer was accepted on Saturday, and by the following Saturday the title was registered in my name.

So I'll let you add up the totals. :mrgreen:

It's not the kind of trip I can afford to do very often. Other than the Texas trip next week I have nothing else planned for the rest of the year.

Next year will be the possible BBG so that's just gas and time.

April 1 will be the start of the next Tour Of Honor season so I'll be doing a SS1k that night. Since Apr 1 is a Monday I'll stage on Sunday which means Sunday morning I'll probably be somewhere other than home and leave the hotel at midnight that night, finishing up somewhere else in the state and staying in a hotel there for the night. Then depending upon where that takes me I'll either go back home, or if I'm staged near a state border I'll move to the next state and starting tracking down sites in that state. Chances are that I'll be gone for the week.

In June I hope to be able to have enough time to fly to Boston, rent a Wing and travel the New England states with my wife for about ten days. We both have a lot of family back there.

In Sept I'll ride to the annual Tour Of Honor meet in Minnesota (fly the wife to Minneapolis) so I'll probably do a certified ride or two during that week.

Oh, the ride to Texas next week will be a SS1K, following by a structured SS1K on Fri/Sat, and then on Sunday I'll do another SS1K to get home because I have a class to teach on Monday morning.

TMI??? :lol2:

Average riders look at Iron Butt Riders like they are crazy. Iron Butt Riders know there's a whole nuther level of crazy out there. Those guys plan their vacation time around how many certs they can complete. They plan out rides that aren't even certified.

Greg Rice is known within the LD riding community as the BBG King; he has done 50 of them.

But he recently did something that no one else has come close to. He did a 50 CC in UNDER 30 hours. 29H 23M to be exact. No sleep. No stopping for food other than one quick 30 min stop. Just fuel and bio breaks. He carries an aux fuel tank so that really does make a difference in your overall moving average.

His overall average was about 74 mph.

Read the details here: http://www.gregrice.com/rides/gregrice-2923.html

The link to his full website is at the bottom of that page, and if you even have a "slight" interest in LD Riding, I highly encourage you to spend a few hours on his site. You will learn a LOT.

This is next Friday's route:

43680068_10212136960929042_7092970092266258432_o.jpg

Leaving Allen at 6 am. I need to be back there by 5:59 am on Saturday.

If you live near any of these sites you're welcome to sit and watch a bunch of crazed riders show up, grab a rally flag, get a photo, remount, and head for the next location. Feel free to say hi, but everyone will be on a mission so please don't try striking up a conversation if the rider appears to be in a hurry, or don't get your knickers in a knot if you do try talking with them and they seem like they want to just get away from you.

:lol2: :rider: :lol2: :rider: :lol2: :rider: :lol2:

Last edited:
I would have thought the goldwing got better than 31 mpg. Guess it depends alot on speed and wind though

Up to about 75 the Wing does okay on mileage; above that it drinks gas like a wino drinking MD 20/20 after getting his welfare check.

Back