• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
C&C welcome...

DSC0364-1-L.jpg

It's her credit score. Didn't you know you have to wear them like a Scarlet Letter now? :eek2:

Composition is good, focus is good, and the background is unfocused nicely, but the image doesn't pop which is kind of what I'm expecting. Might be this monitor at work, but the colors at these events are what stand out to me at these type of events. The orange of the cones and the blue in the jersey should be brighter, more vibrant to me. So I'd try and tweak that in Lightroom and see if that can be done without messing up the skin tones.

Hmmm, said more about what I didn't like an it was just a small thing. Overall, good.

The skies weren't in my favor for most of the swim or bike portions, thus the muted effect due to early morning cloud cover.

I DO wonder if my flash (external which I left at home) would have brought the colors out and drastically changed the appearance....

Last edited:
Have you tried to crop in from the left side to the 3rd little gray line in the jersey under the arm?

Might give the photo more of an "action" look than "snapshot" look.

"snapshot".... ouch. :mrgreen:

So go more for a torso shot? That would really change the aspect ratio. Hmmm, vertical? Are you talking about the line about mid-torso/belly button? That would leave me with a knee coming out of nowhere.

Scott....hope you don't mind the quick edit of your shot....this is what I would have done with it:

DSC0364-1-L-L.jpg

I went into LR, cropped it, used an adjustment brush to darken everything but the rider, reduced the clarity of the background a bit more than it already was, boosted the blue in her top and then added a slight vignette to further accent the rider.

I feel that cropping the rear portion of the photo gives it more of an "action" feel as all you are left with is the "where is she going?" portion of the frame. Now if this had been a panning shot having the 'where has she been?" and "where is she going?" portion would work well but since this a freeze action shot you are better served implying the forward motion through cropping.

Last edited:
She should have included the last 4 numbers of her telephone number on each arm.......:doh:

Now it almost looks 3D. You folks amaze me with your cameras and software.

Nice looking young lady but she's gonna regret those tattoos when she gets older. :rofl:

Her tan is totally better now. Except for that line on her thigh...

:eek2:

Don't mind in the least! I really have to sit down and learn the basics of LR. That's an amazing transformation you did. I sort of follow how you got there, but how did you get the skin tones so nice?

Here's the progression of this shot....

Original straight out of the camera:
DSC0364-L.jpg

My attempt using LR v2.2 and what I know of it...
DSC0364-1-L.jpg

And ST_Scott's rendition of the same image...
DSC0364-1-L-L.jpg

I'm awestruck....

Scott...what steps did you take?

For the skin tones try boosting either the saturation or the red luminance in the HSL panel.

Here's all I did....

i-Mfw2rCh-L.jpg

Tonight I'll take the above version and see if I can re-create what you did.

Alrightie.... Taking a cue from ST_Scott, here's what I came up with
DSC0364-1-2-L.jpg

Good job!! It just takes a little "know how" to rescue an average photo and make it good to great. :clap:

I'm nowhere near the Jedi Master like others here.....

I just use the basics sort of in this order.
1)Import
2)Crop
3)Exposure changes if needed
4)Contrast
5)Saturations
6)Clarity

I don't necessarily use them all, and there's a few other little things.

I DO try to do as much of the work in-camera so I don't have to use LR.

Back