• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Great capture.
sorry, but I like the "curve" and wouldn't crop it off. Would have been a nice "S" if you could have included her lower leg.
I do like the color work that ST did, although I'd probably go halfway between what he did with the vignette effect versus your second shot.

I'd still crop tighter from the left side! Crop tight enough so that you can't see the "T3" on her jersey. Maybe even a little farther and crop so that you can't see the tan line on her right leg.

The skies weren't in my favor for most of the swim or bike portions, thus the muted effect due to early morning cloud cover.

I DO wonder if my flash (external which I left at home) would have brought the colors out and drastically changed the appearance....

I would have used the condition to my advantage and added to the mood of the moment; I find darker skies work well to present a struggle, or as something that one is outrunning/dominating.

I also think the angle could have been lower to. Catch more of the bike, with a longer shutter speed to catch motion.

The elemeents were there, but I doubt you conveyed what you were trying to. I know that is, by far, the most vexing and challenging type of photo to shoot. I still like the photo though, and I bet with a re-cropping off-angle you will get a much more dramatic image.

Just amazing what the software does for us now days. Great job to bring an average shot to an awsum shot.

Thanks for the comments.... Sure does give me some things to consider next time I shoot this type of event.

I suppose in retrospect, there's two competing schools of thought that run through my mind at events like this. First, I want to capture my all my racing friends through their event in all disciplines. That can be a chore when you've got 12 or so people, with staggered swim starts meaning different times/locations for the swim, bike and run portions of the course. Then, try to pick them out of 1200 other people that look just like them too. And second, trying to create what I'll call 'art' or really really nice captures of my friends.

The two schools - Photo-Journalism and Art - just seem to compete for the limited amount of time available to locate the friend, compose and shoot. I suppose the mark of a true professional, that skill comes with time and experience.

Andy - yeah, the post-processing can really allow one to do many things. It's just a digital darkroom at home.

Getting low is always a good start. Here's similar situation from a CC event.

TysFirstTrackMeet307.jpg
[/IMG]

Back