• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

6/18 early a.m. ride camp AZ/NM mountains

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Baker
If anyone wants to head out Monday or Tuesday and run the 191 Alpine/Moreici route, formerly known as the "devils highway 666", and Silver City loops for a few days of camping next week, let me know. I was going to head to CA but am thinking I'd rather fly out for a visit sometime instead of subject myself to the heat right of the desert now. It's still mid 80's in the mountains in AZ. I'm thinking maybe a nice loop through the hill country to Ft Stockton, a few hours on 10 and shoot up to Silver CIty and into the heavenly riding as early as possible. Will be camping the whole way. Open to new and better routes if ya got em. Not looking to do a bunch of gravel, just mellow twisty pavement..

If anyone wants to head out Monday or Tuesday and run the 191 Alpine/Moreici route, formerly known as the "devils highway 666", and Silver City loops for a few days of camping next week, let me know. I was going to head to CA but am thinking I'd rather fly out for a visit sometime instead of subject myself to the heat right of the desert now. It's still mid 80's in the mountains in AZ. I'm thinking maybe a nice loop through the hill country to Ft Stockton, a few hours on 10 and shoot up to Silver CIty and into the heavenly riding as early as possible. Will be camping the whole way. Open to new and better routes if ya got em. Not looking to do a bunch of gravel, just mellow twisty pavement..
It's not formerly known as the Devil's Highway, it is currently known as the Devil's Highway even though we have to explain to folks why it has that name. ;-)

I've been at the mountain home all week and have been dealing with high 80s - low 90s each day, but I just checked the Alpine forecast and you should be looking at highs around 75 each day next week. Enjoy the ride.

I sure don't think I'd sleep well with a borrowed "666" road sign in my garage. Instead, I have a little plaque hanging on my tool board, that I made in vacation Bible school 57 years ago. It says "O Lord, here my prayer". And since I've been reminded, I'm gonna pray right now: " O Lord, please help me get these throttle bodys synchronized spot on this a.m. without a bunch of attempts". I guess I'm asking for a miracle.

That road is amazing Ed. Watch for larger herds of animals crossing the road in the denser wooded parts. Amazing pull overs and picture ops on AZ 191. Make sure to check out the Blue range primitive area on 191. Note road to Gila cliff dwellings is just a curvy and takes longer than one would think to drive/ride. I remember in Gila there was a camp area called McMilleen. Camping at City of Rocks State park would be killer for star gazing. If you hotel in Silver City try the "Murray" old fashion and reasonable.

Carlsbad caverns is neat if you have the time. Also get a picture in Las Cruces of the giant roadrunner at the rest stop going into town. It is made of recycled junk. If you are planning on being near 60 head to Pie Town for a slice on your way home. I Heard Mad Jacks in Cloudcroft has tasty BBQ but only open a few days a week. Oh and I have to add this for chicken fried steak try Mayhill cafe.

Last edited:
Ah yes... pie town. I love that route and often camp at a deserted forest service type campground a ways down the road from there towards the interstate. Was looking at property out of Quemado, but decided it was just too remote for us. Well leaving tomorow a.m. I guess.

No takers yet. Bummer. Was hoping for company as its always safer riding with a buddy out in the boondocks if you break down, crash, get dehydrated and delerious from the heat etc. Well, I better behave myself.

Don't forget the mandatory ride report with pictures when you get back home.:deal: Ride safe. I looked at one in Datil but same issue remote and terrible wash board road out to it.

Last edited:
No takers yet. Bummer. Was hoping for company as its always safer riding with a buddy out in the boondocks if you break down, crash, get dehydrated and delerious from the heat etc. Well, I better behave myself.
Man I would love to but I have NO life. Trying to do something next month with family.

Well it happened. Perfect 5 day solo run. Day one 670 miles to Aguirre Springs campground high above Las Cruces. Day two to Hannigan Meadows about 22 miles south of Alpine, off 191, Day three down 191 to Morenci and back up halfway to KP Cienega campground, which was conveniently located 2 miles off pavement on a nice gravel road. It kept the population down to 2 in the little campground. Nice clean outhouse and a free forest service campground. I really miss this style of camping in TX. Day four, back to Silver City and over to Aguirre Springs again to stage the long run home on Day 5. The GSA performed flawlessly, averaged 47 miles per gallon even with me moving along at 83 mph on I-10 on the way home. I left at 3:23 a.m. to beat the heat and it was a perfect ride home- never broke 90 degrees. 45 miles east of Ft. Stockton I could not handle anymore of I-10 so took the Iraan turn off and 190 back. That is such a nice ride through the hill country, and its low traffic hi speed if you wish. I did have two animal encounters, one with a deer and one with 2 elk jumping out. I kept speeds way low (55-60) during any early a.m. riding and it paid off when I thoroughly tested my ABS system both times. Sorry for the cell phone photography!

Attachments

• Devils highway.jpg
    Devils highway.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 153
  • kp cienega campgd.jpg
    kp cienega campgd.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 154
  • aguirre springs view.jpg
    aguirre springs view.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 152
  • devils highway2.jpg
    devils highway2.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 147
Glad you got home safe and sound. I used to ride up there at least twice a year when I lived in Phoenix. No bears or Mountain Sheep? I have seen them up there.

Nope no critters other than elk , deer, rattlesnake and an armadillo leaving Texas in the way early a.m. hours. I love that road, but it seems less challenging each time I run it. Perhaps its cause I go so much slower now :-) I sure see a lot more scenery..

Back