• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

77 Yamaha Enduro 500

It would be cool if Triumph would take it's new XE Scrambler platform and put a 600CC or so version of their engine in....could get something like this.

I wonder if this would be worth working on? What to look for?

Beautiful bike.
I had an SR500, same engine. Loved it.
I've always wondered if the XT500 and the SR500 had the exact same engine. I had a 78 XT500 and loved it, but couldn't keep the valves in adjustment (I think the valve stems were soft). They never did find the problem, but Carter's Yamaha (family friend) gave me a new SR500 to ride while they worked on the XT. The SR was SLOW compared to the XT. I figured there had to be a difference in the cam, compression, or something & didn't think the difference in performance was attributable to gearing alone. I wound up trading for an XS500E because the SR500's performance was such a disappointment to me & I really did want to like the SR500.

been riding since last year. low mileage barn find confirmed again. standard bore, ring gaps still in spec. deglaze & valve job by my buddy dave

The last time I had to deal with a title issue, some years ago, I took the bike to a friend in NM. He lives in a rural part of the state. First I did a vin search for stolen vehicles on line and took that paperwork with me. He figured it could take up to a month but was able to walk it through in 1 day, slow day at DMV. The big issue was it had never been title here in Texas and I had to pay a $90 new to Texas fee because they can and the state didn't get any sales tax on the original sale.

This engine is so clean. Mine are never that clean. Always a bit of old gasket or some grime here and there. Best I can do is spray wash before disassembly and use a razor on the old gaskets. I like yours much better.

This engine is so clean. Mine are never that clean. Always a bit of old gasket or some grime here and there. Best I can do is spray wash before disassembly and use a razor on the old gaskets. I like yours much better.
thanks.

The XT 500 was my "starter" bike for enduro racing in the early 80s. It was heavy, but had plenty of power. Hard to restart when hot, unless you used the window on the head to view the proper engine rotation to line up the bright spot on the cam. Then the 500 would restart just fine. A few muddy creeks would cover this window and restarting became a problem.
Traded the XT500 for a Yamaha IT 390 with a monoshock. This was my first real race bike and the 2 stroke 390 had good power and weighed less.

IT 390? Don't remember that one.
Irish, you may be onto something. I checked the web for IT 390 and it doesn't seem to exist. 40 years have dimmed my memory, so I went to.the shop last night and found a photo of the IT. This is me laying it down at the top.of a river crossing at an enduro in Memphis Tx. I can see a zero on the side cover. Could be a 250. Hmm. Blue with white fenders, Yamaha racing stripes, probably was a 1980ish model. Anyone have an opinion?

Attachments

• 20210628_183036.jpg
    20210628_183036.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 161
Looks like they made a 490, 465, 425, 400, 250, 200, 175, and 125.

Looks like they made a 490, 465, 425, 400, 250, 200, 175, and 125.
Jay, I agree. That list seems to be all of the ITs. It must have been a 250. I rode the IT for one season, then switched to a Husky 430. That Husqvarna was the best race bike and all-around dirt bike for me. The two-stroke engine felt like a four stroke. Lots of torque, very strong with a wide power band. I kept it for years after I raced just to have solid dirt bike. Photo to follow!

Jay, I agree. That list seems to be all of the ITs. It must have been a 250. I rode the IT for one season, then switched to a Husky 430. That Husqvarna was the best race bike and all-around dirt bike for me. The two-stroke engine felt like a four stroke. Lots of torque, very strong with a wide power band. I kept it for years after I raced just to have solid dirt bike. Photo to follow!

Husky 430.jpg

Last edited:
There was a neighbor down the street from me when I was in high school the had a 197? IT 175. I was in to street bikes then (had a Kawasaki KZ900 Z1-B) but always loved the Yamaha 2 stroke enduro bikes. My first real motorcycle was a Yamaha HS1 90 cc twin cylinder 2 stroke street bike but always wanted a DT 125. If I had the spare cash, I'd go looking for a good IT or DT. The 2 stroke simplicity of those bikes was awesome.

Back