• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

82 GS 650 cuts out under load.

Reaction score
I just took my 82 GS 650 out for a test ride after rebuilding the carbs. The engine will rev fine in neutral, but under load it will cut out. I can pull the clutch in and rev it , and it sounds good. It has the filter, and filter cover in place. Where to begin?

Too lean? Float level too low?
Are all the vacuum lines reattached to the correct ports and not leaking. If the hoses are old, they can be fine until you mess with them.

The float levels are right on the money. The only vacuum hose I know of is the one connected to the fuel valve

Last edited:
Look at plug color to determine if it's too rich or lean. You might have an intake leak, just my guess.

I'll take a look. I installed all new o rings, including the ones on the boots attached to the head, The oval rubber seal in between the air box, and the filter box seems a bit loose though. Thanks

Back