• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

'82 Honda XL250R

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Introducing, my latest addition to the Honda family in my garage; a 1982 Honda XL250R dual-sport. Thanks to a very nice and generous TWT'er, Lee Webb in Austin, I have myself a small dual-sport.

It should fit in nicely with my '87 TLR200 trials/trail bike and my '14 CB1100 street bike.

Here she is on her way home while we stopped off in West for some Kolaches.

xl250r_CzechStop_zps225t2l3s.jpg

When I bought the bike the rear turn signals were missing. Lee included genuine and aftermarket turn signals in a box that came with the bike.

One of the first things I did when I got it home was to address the turn signals. I took apart the aftermarket signals and repaired/replaced the parts with standard lamp parts from the hardware store. Plus I shortened the posts with a hacksaw so they wouldn't stick out so far and be so vulnerable.

unspecified-9_zpsyu8cxilr.jpg

20160522_132919_zpsbnzslrwx.jpg

Last edited:
NICE! Brings back memories ... the best thing about those bikes is the handlebar mount choke.

If the Honda XL line of bikes was alive today .... dual sporting would be much larger. I think there was 6 bikes in the lineup with low MSRP's $$$.

Baby got a bath. A little Armor All, polishing compound, and elbow grease. She's getting a new air filter today and maybe check/adjust valves. Next up, new tires, chain, battery, and inspection/registration/insurance. I look forward to riding more than up & down the street.

20160515_163305-1_zpsb6rewwfl.jpg

might want to take a break from wrenching and mow the grass!!:lol2:

[emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] LOL.

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

Congrats and way to go, love that bike,,,,if you ever decide to sell it :trust:

My new "accessory" for the XLR; a brand new key. I only got one key with the bike, so I could either find one on eBay or buy from Honda. All I had to do to get a replacement key for this 34 year old bike was walk into the dealership, give them the original with the key code number, and pay for it. Gotta love Honda's support for their older bikes.

My XL250R key & CB1100 key.
20160528_150141_zpsjlsdcsou.jpg

The little Honda developed a bad ticking/knocking in the head area after adjusting valves to specifications in Honda Service Manual.

So I pulled the head but could see no issues with rockers, timing, or cam chain.

Any vintage Honda experts I can get some help from?

What I really want to understand is the Automatic Cam Chain Tensioner. How it works and how to set it.

20160606_170132_zpse8uovdru.jpg

20160606_170125_zpsdm5wdfoe.jpg

Last edited:
I had an '82 XL500R - bike just ran. Another one of "why did I ever sell it?" situations.

You might send a PM to thrill-billy85 about the valve adjustment. He posted a procedure he does in the XR650L thread, but I can't find it now. Basically, due to the constant contact, a groove can develop and when you use a feeler gauge to do the adjustment, it will straddle the groove causing the adjustment to be off. He described a way to do it without a feeler gauge which may help with your issue.

Jay is spot on.... I had adjusted mine (back when) and it went to helllll... Went back using a small gap.... Never messed with again.

Larry, you adjust the tensioner with the engine running...instructions are in the service manual...

I'm a little suspicious of the automatic decompressor, not sure how it works, seen some references that if it's engaged the valves will end up loose...maybe try disconnecting it altogether, adjusting valves, then reconnecting...?

Thanks for the link to the ThrillBilly valve adjustment procedure, however, my '82 XL250R has the "square" tappets adjusters, not the screwdriver kind. I'll have to make some modifications to the procedure if I try it that way.

Here is my homemade tappet adjuster. A square-drive screw and some tubing. It's a "work in progress" but helps hold the tappet with oily fingers.

20160606_175519_zpst6z1qszf.jpg

I'll keep trying to figure this out. Hopefully all I'm learning will help someone on their old Honda.

Last edited:
I had an '82 XL500R - bike just ran. Another one of "why did I ever sell it?" situations.

You might send a PM to thrill-billy85 about the valve adjustment. He posted a procedure he does in the XR650L thread, but I can't find it now. Basically, due to the constant contact, a groove can develop and when you use a feeler gauge to do the adjustment, it will straddle the groove causing the adjustment to be off. He described a way to do it without a feeler gauge which may help with your issue.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/5623442508.html

My CB and XLR posing for a photo. I am sure enjoying my Honda's.

20160607_180841-1_zpsdmfjtnla.jpg

Last edited:
my '82 XL250R has the "square" tappets adjusters, not the screwdriver kind

Completely irrelevant. The part that matters is your six-sided lock nut. Line a point up with something, be it a spot on the screw, a line you draw with a sharpie, whatevs

Make sure to torque the jamb to proper specs. Lots of lock nuts have come loose and had their way with an engine.

Wow...that bike brings back memories. The '82 XL250R was the first new bike I ever bought (I was 17 at the time). I rode the wheels off of that bike...it was my all-time favorite!

Back