• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

'83 GL1100A rebuild

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Seery
If you saw this thread, you know that I started building a '82 GL1100A then found a '83 that was in better condition (Thanks Jack! :thumb: ) and started using the '82 as a parts bike.

I've gotten a fair bit done on the '83 lately.

• Forks rebuilt (RaceTech emulators and springs)
  • New battery
  • Rusted exhaust swapped for the good one on the '82
  • Radiator cleaned
  • Water pump seals replaced (were leaking)
  • New timing belts
  • Valves adjusted
The rear master cylinder on the '83 is seized so I'm working on putting the '82 un-linked brakes on the '83.
This is more of a pain then I'd initially thought it would be.
The '82 front calipers use *slightly* different mounts and the '83s calipers use different size pistons between the sides (fault of the linked brake system) so I can't use them.

The rear brakes from the '82 bolts directly onto the '83. At least that part is easy!

The carbs on the '83 are draining down and hydro-locking the engine. Fortunately, I've already rebuilt the carbs from the '82, so I'll slap those on and we should be good to go there.

I need to pull the back off of the digital dash and see why the back-lighting isn't working.
Otherwise, the electrics appear to be fine.

Nope, I'll have to snap some and put them up.

Everything being done right now is mechanical. Cosmetics are coming later.

Let me know when ur done. my 85 FI wing needs an o-haul!

Last edited:
Built some LED replacements for the dash lights this evening. I'm afraid they're a bit bright in current form, so they may come out and get some new resistors later.

Eventually, I'll replace all the lights with LEDs so I can add extra gizmo's :trust:

I'll take some pics over the weekend and post them up.

Looking forward to this build. What are you going for with this build? Better than new resto mod, stripped down wing, cafe wing? Oh and MAC makes a sweet exhaust for the wing.

Current project is getting it back on the road as a reliable commute/touring bike.
Later, I want to add radios (ham) as well as upgraded lighting to free up alternator head room for said radios.

I've always got crazy plans for gadgets running around in my head, we'll see how budget and reality allow that to play into the bike project.

Current project is getting it back on the road as a reliable commute/touring bike.
Later, I want to add radios (ham) as well as upgraded lighting to free up alternator head room for said radios.

I've always got crazy plans for gadgets running around in my head, we'll see how budget and reality allow that to play into the bike project.

Im curious about the race tech springs and emulators. Guess ill have to wait till its on the road to get feedback on how big of a difference it makes.

The single best thing about the Goldwing electrical system is they are EXTREMELY over engineered. I have seen people run a ton of electronics with absolutely ZERO problems. If yours is like almost every other GL out there tear off ALL those crappy running lights and put you two halogen running lights in the front and a couple LED running lights in the back and your going to be 10X brighter than all the other lights combined and use alot less power to run them.

On a side note, there are a few places that make nice mechanical shocks for the GL's if your planning that route. Ive used Saber Cycle shocks with good results. Progressive makes a nice set of mechanicals also, but they are on the pricey side. If you do plan on using the air shocks, Progressive makes better springs for them and new damper units as well.

Glad to see the old beast is getting some long overdueTLC. :clap: Good runnin' motor, just needs some details. I'd wanted to tackle those brakes with an un-linked set up, but knew there would be some problems to work through. I HATE linked brakes anyway and when the MC froze up, it was buy a new MC or ebay an 82 set up. You're one up on me, there, having one already. :mrgreen: Might have to get someone to machine some caliper spacers, might be cheaper than swapping forks, though those forks needed seals BAD and I never really liked the air fork set up, was thinkin' stiffer springs for 'em.

I don't have but ~100mi on a stock GL1200 before I did the RaceTech setup on the Father-in-law's '85. I won't be the guy to talk to about a comparison!
The main comment I heard about the GL1100 was their poor handling. Figured since it clearly needed new seals, I might as well put the new guts in it.

The incandescent bulbs will all be going away. I ain't fond of their power draw nor their lack of visibility.
Eventually, I'd like to add some spiffy LED strips around the top box. Plenty of cheap(ish) options for LED strips lights, many are individually addressable for spiffy/eye-catching displays.

Jack, I too dislike Honda's LBS. Especially as implemented in the '83 GL. I suppose it works fine, but I would rather have separated systems.
Unfortunatly, the '82 calipers are smaller between the face of the piston, and the opposite side of the calipers. With the way the '83s caliper brackets are set, the '82s simply won't go on with brake pads in them.
Next thought was that I'd just use the '83 calipers with the un-linked system, but that won't work since the Left side has a larger piston diameter than the Right side.

I found and ordered a '83 rear master cylinder and will be putting that on for now. I'd eventually like to figure out how to unlink the system, but for now, I want it street-worthy.
It'll take some digging, but I suspect I can find some other caliper that will be able to go in place of the goofy '83 calipers or perhaps figure out a way to make the '82s fit.
Another project for another day.

Ran some Seafoam through the carbs and they're still draining down into the engine. I'll be putting the already rebuild '82 carbs on it tomorrow.

I'll be leaving the rear air system in place for now. Doesn't seem to be leaking much if any. Eventually, I'll probably upgrade but haven't thought much about what route to go yet.
I seem to remember seeing that WP makes a nice set of mechanical shocks that will fit the GL1100. I know Progressive makes some as well. There's a good chance that RaceTech makes some as well.

A quick look doesn't turn anything up for the GL from RaceTech, but WP does list one for it. No clue on the price though :wary:

The shocks really work okay and I sorta like the air shocks for adjusting for load two up. They were holding air just fine last time I rode it. They've got some corrosion, of course, but you can't see 'em behind the bags. :lol2:

Handling was sucky on that thing, primarily it sits low and things drag at rather mild lean angles. Hard to push it hard enough to cause suspension set up. I used to pump up front and rear to get a decent ride height when I'd go on a twisty road ride just to keep from dragging chassis bits so easily. Thing wore me out in Arizona, heavy to steer, just the nature of the beast when you're in tight switch backs. It ain't no Ducati Monster, after all. But, then, I was glad it wasn't out on I10 GETTING there, stereo playing "Born to be Wild", feet kicked up on the touring pegs. :lol2:

Or was that..."I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride..........." :rofl:

Here are some accessories for the air shocks to stiffen them up
pg785.png

Also, here are the saber cycle shocks i just put on an 87 Wing, in fact i put the 1100 shocks on the 1200 since the shocks for the 1100 are 1" shorter. You could go the other way and put the 1200 shocks if you want an inch higher ride height. Only $109 a set.
http://www.saber-cycle.com/store/product897.html

Also, you might want to look into a fork brace for the front forks as they tend to flex in the corners. Here is one example but not the only one out there.
http://www.superbrace.com/proddetail.asp?prod=2211

Ive got the entire air ride setup off a goldwing and man that shaved like 50lbs off the bike since the mechanical shocks are lighter, the air pump being removed (it was an aspencade), and all the lines and blocks being taken off really cleaned up the bike.

Last edited:
Rear suspension is currently residing on the "I want" list, awaiting the completion of the "I need list"

The '83 has a fork brace on it. By the looks of the brace and how the forks are built, it looks to be OEM. The '82 I have has after-market fork brace on it. They're a very different setup. Maybe Honda realized they needed more support by the time the '83 rolled around.

I ain't expecting the old girl to handle like my VFR, or any other ST machine. Just want as decent of handeling as possible.
Longer rear shocks may be a good idea. I'll cross that bridge when its time.

Well, one thing about it, she's comfy for the long haul. The passenger was treated to extreme luxury and that is the main reason I bought her in the first place. After several years, my wife's health caused her to cease riding, but it was nice back there for her. The bike has it's positive points. I wasn't really worried a lot about handling either, but I know what you mean about getting it as right as possible. :lol2:

Rear suspension is currently residing on the "I want" list, awaiting the completion of the "I need list"

The '83 has a fork brace on it. By the looks of the brace and how the forks are built, it looks to be OEM. The '82 I have has after-market fork brace on it. They're a very different setup. Maybe Honda realized they needed more support by the time the '83 rolled around.

I ain't expecting the old girl to handle like my VFR, or any other ST machine. Just want as decent of handeling as possible.
Longer rear shocks may be a good idea. I'll cross that bridge when its time.

No big deal. Just offering some suggestions, NOT trying to talk you into a sale. Im not sure right offhand without looking at the book but if the 82 and 83 forks are the same size you may want to add that aftermarket fork brace onto the 83 since the stock brace isnt much to brag about in the rigidity department.

I just like to see someone fix up an old Wing and when i eventually come across one for the right price i plan on doing a stripped down, yet comfy and touring capable version for myself.

If you have any questions about anything feel free to PM me and ill help you as best i can.

No big deal. Just offering some suggestions, NOT trying to talk you into a sale. Im not sure right offhand without looking at the book but if the 82 and 83 forks are the same size you may want to add that aftermarket fork brace onto the 83 since the stock brace isnt much to brag about in the rigidity department.

I just like to see someone fix up an old Wing and when i eventually come across one for the right price i plan on doing a stripped down, yet comfy and touring capable version for myself.

If you have any questions about anything feel free to PM me and ill help you as best i can.
I didn't take it as a sale attempt. Thanks for the input :thumb:

The forks are the same. Internals and uppers anyway. The lower half is different due to the TRAC system, the different mounts for the LBS system, and the fork brace.
I'm not sure the '82 fork brace will go on due to its mounting location being right where Honda put theirs on the '83. Good thought and I may give it a shot, just to be sure.

Took some pics yesterday, but of course I neglected to put them on the computer so I can upload them :doh:

Got the carbs swapped. Cranked her over and discovered that the fuel line has a hole in it.
I have (I think) everything I need to put the dash back together. Hopefully I can get that done this evening.

Her current condition:
267156b8.jpg

rear master cylinder came in today.
Got the R front caliper rebuilt, so now I've got to put the '83 lines back on and bleed the mess.

I like all the windows in your garage, must make it much easier to see what you are doing!!:lol2:

On a serious note the 1000, 1100 & 1200 goldwing electrics were NOT seriously over engineered, they are quite borderline so replacing as many lights with LED's is a really good idea. If you are going to run a 100Watt 2M ham Radio I think the electrics will still struggle no matter how many LED's you have put on, but if you go for 30 to 50 watts, I think you would have a great chance of success.. It's always good to see someone bring one of these old girls back to life.

Gary

It was a screened-in porch, now its a screened-in garage :deal:

The rig I'm eying for mounting on the bike is a 50w unit. Don't have any plans to run HF off the bike anytime soon.

The amount of transmit time is going to be quite small compared to receive time. I helped with a bicycle event a few weeks ago on the VFR and I spent maybe 30sec on transmit, and 6hrs on receive.
If its a problem, I'll add a second battery in the luggage to help with the radio draw.

If you are transmitting that little, you won't have any problems.. I tend to rag chew a bit and some vehicles struggle to keep up with the power needs but I tend to run below 10 metres.. (Not on my motorbike, I thought there would be too much electrical interference, but might try fitting a small 2M unit to the wing!!).

Gary

Back