• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

8th Annual NMOHVA Rubber Chicken Ride - Truth or Consequences, New Mexico - October 25-27, 2019

I'm bringing the 1290 and the 500. Hope to enjoy some single track on the 500 and see the countryside on the 1290.

David, Look forward to meet you. Unfortunately not much single track, I am interested in seeing how the Blue Ribbon Trail was worn it. Definitely lots of challenging two track though. The roads and two tracks laid out in creek beds can be real interesting...sand to rock and back again.

Thanks and look forward to meeting you as well. Some of the toughest things I've ever ridden were jeep trails. It will be fun none the less.
my cell: 972-922 seven two zero eight.

There is lots of no track on BLM land, a ride where GPS is a must to stay on route. Never been as lost as when on Palomas gap North exit route, that was with GPS. Awesome ride!

We got lost last week in Arkansas with a GPS too. It was really tough jeep trails and 2 of the four of us ran out of water. Was one of the best rides I've ever been on. Thats why they call it adv riding.
I usually carry a GPS, Garmin 66i and a Voyager Pro with me.

On the official thread.

Can I assume the tracks for 2018 are the same ones used for the 2019 ride?

There have been several similar questions...and the simple answer is "Yes" but with some exceptions due to Ma Nature, a recent change in access on one route, and a few "new" offerings this year. We will be starting our "official" pre-rides this weekend and hope to have the 2019 tracks updated about a week prior to the event.

Ride scouts report: https://advrider.com/f/threads/8th-annual-nmohva-rubber-chicken-ride.1398694/page-9#post-38597489
NMTrailboss and I started the process of pre-riding some of the Rubber Chicken Ride routes this weekend. We focused on "new" riding opportunities and one re-route required by a private land closure since last year. We were 4 for 4, completing all of the routes we targeted over the last two days. All of our riding was on the east side of the river where the Chihuahua desert dominates. Next weekend, we will ride the west side which is more mountainous.

On a beautiful October weekend in Truth or Consequences, pre-riding RCR trails does not suck. Here are a few photos to help keep you anticipating the 2019 event:
[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Yes, some of the routes are a little primitive:
anyon-explore-ds-trip-oct-12-14-2019-53-shrink-jpg.jpg

And some are easier....and all are very scenic:
ds-trip-oct-12-14-2019-133-shrink-jpg.jpg

We are calling this new segment "The Gullet" as in "down the gullet!":
explore-ds-trip-oct-12-14-2019-159-shrink-jpg.jpg

[IMG]

[IMG]

explore-ds-trip-oct-12-14-2019-181-shrink-jpg.jpg

explore-ds-trip-oct-12-14-2019-188-shrink-jpg.jpg

We included Palomas Gap which needed a new "thru-route" to the north after some private land was closed off.
[IMG]

explore-ds-trip-oct-12-14-2019-236-shrink-jpg.jpg

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I am working on the suggested routes for posting in this thread and should have them up later this week. We are looking forward to seeing all of you down in T or C in two weeks!

Updated routes on posts 185-190.

Last edited:
The riders meet up daily for breakfast at the Sunset Grill about 8a.

I just loaded my GPS with the following routes, I only plan to ride one per day, the selection will be a group decision:
  • Suggested Route 2 - St. Cloud + Chloride Canyon + Lookout Mountain + The Nash Cut-off: ~ 147 miles. Rating: Moderate. This variation of the Chloride Canyon loop was first suggested in 2016 and has proven to be the #1 “Rider’s Choice” over the past two years. After a short side trip into Chloride (the townsite), the route swings south past the active St. Cloud mining area (a zeolite mine) and winds its way up and down through the area south of Chloride Canyon. After passing several interesting historical mine sites, the road rejoins the “traditional” Chloride Canyon route about 1.5 miles up from the town site. The route eventually climbs up out of Seventyfour Draw to join the road to Lookout Mountain (where a short spur leads to some great views off this high point) before rejoining the traditional route down Forest 226 toward the Beaverhead Highway. A few miles short of the highway is the turn for The Nash Cut-Off. This is a more interesting route than the last few miles of gravel to the highway. Keep a sharp look-out for the namesake relic. After reaching the highway, there is an optional loop to the north that should be very green and scenic this year. It includes a segment called Adobe Canyon at the north end that is a real gem. Gas is available in Winston at the General Store and they typically have premium available.

• Suggested Route 7 - Palomas Gap with the North exit: ~47 miles. Rating: Harder. This alternative version of the Palomas Gap route was first offered in 2015. It has been updated for 2019 as the previous route is now off limits to the public due to locked gates at private property. This version of Palomas Gap is shorter in mileage and skips the antenna farm in favor of additional rugged desert terrain. It features roads that get only infrequent use, some steep/loose/rocky hills, deep sand in arroyos, and requires excellent route-finding skills. Our thanks to inmate Grizzzly for sharing with us!

I would add in a ride up to the antenna farm at the top of Brushy Mountain which will add to the mileage.

• Suggested Route 8 – McLeod Hills: ~87 miles. Rating: Moderate to Harder. This was a “new” route for 2018 and we know there are still many riders who have yet to enjoy its charms. It is located further east as the McLeod Hills are the major ridge east of the Caballo Mountains. As such, the “meat” of this route can be accessed by either running fast paved and gravel roads or by climbing up through Palomas Gap. The route uses a combination of very primitive (read “primitive” as hardly ever used!) roads to run along the base of the ridge for about 10 miles first on the west face and then on the east face. We can just about guarantee that you will not see anybody else out in this area! The transition from west to east is accomplished via a very interesting and fun canyon that will have you swearing you have been transported to Moab. The exit joins up with the Tipton Ranch road which eventually takes you back to civilization. Don’t run this one solo!

• Suggested Route 10 - Mine Tank Loop + Broadhurst Arroyo: ~89 miles. Rating: Harder. Mine Tank Loop was first offered in 2016 but has mutated and evolved each year since. There are several additional “more difficult” options if you want even more rocks, steep hills, and ledges. This year’s offering includes an optional “West Mine Tank” route that is a little longer and probably in the “Difficult” category. This is very rugged and remote country (and a personal favorite) through canyons that can get mighty warm if the sun is bright. Make sure you have plenty of water and stamina if you attempt this one.

• Suggested Route 15 - Apache Gap + Palomas Gap: ~73 miles. Rating: Difficult. Here is a route for riders looking for even more challenge. The climb up Apache Gap is typically thought of as "difficult" with numerous rocks and ledges encountered on the way up. This version also has an several optional routes to include the high viewpoint from the antenna farm on the top of Timber Mountain. These optional routes can be combined or run in different directions to make this loop even longer and more difficult.

• Suggested Route 17 – Springtime Campground + Blue Ribbon Trail + Aragon Hill + Rocky Top Loop: ~111 miles. Rating: Harder. The route past Springtime Campground (above) has long been an easy, scenic favorite. Adding the Blue Ribbon Trail (Harder) Aragon Hill (Moderate) and Rocky Top (Harder) loops adds length and considerable difficulty and “spice” to this new combination. The Blue Ribbon Trail actually uses Forest Road 922 but its lack of use for many years until we (minimally) cleared it in 2018 essentially renders it a single track. Riders loved it last year! The Aragon Loop is on the easy side of Harder but way scenic. The trifecta ends with the 20-mile Rocky Top loop. It includes a long ride up a gravel arroyo, some really tight tree dodging as riders wind down a 2nd arroyo, and then some steep and very rocky ascents and descents. The route crosses the summit we are calling “Rocky Top” for no apparent reason other than it is the highest ground around with views to match. The descent down yet another arroyo leads riders back to the graded county road. This combo route offers enough length and challenge to appeal to most riders looking for a tougher day. By mixing and matching carefully, it can be tailored to be easier and/or shorter if the main loop is too taxing.

• Suggested Route 19 – Lyda K Mine + Mine Tank: ~94 miles. Rating: Difficult. The Lyda K Mine portion of this route was new in 2017. In addition to some interesting mining ruins in the foothills west of the Caballo Mountains, it offers some rough and tumble riding up and down steep, rocky hills and winding rocky arroyos. We have teamed it with the Mine Tank Loop which offers more of the same for a day-long adventure that might have you ready for a cold one by the time you get back. And because some of you are total masochists, we have added another “new” option for 2019. We are calling this canyon descent “The Gullet”. Trials riders will smile, others probably won’t but it isn’t quite as hard as it first appears. Since we don’t know just how riders will fare on this new option, there are a plethora easier/faster and harder/longer bypass and exit options.

• Suggested Route 20 – The 2019 RCR Sufferfest: ~130 miles. Rating: Difficult. What is the Desert Sufferfest? An imaginative and taxing combination that links most of the harder and difficult loop options east of the river into one never-ending endurance festival. We first offered this by request in 2017. No one has yet finished the whole enchilada. We have continued to refine and tweak the route and this year’s edition includes both the new Mine Tank West and “Down the Gullet” offerings. If you weary of the fun, we have included many options to bail back out to the highway, town, and beer. Can anyone ride it in one day? We even included an optional gas/food stop in Hatch about midway. Oh, and the hardest sections are toward the end of the day. Choose carefully and plan ahead. Have fun and stay safe.

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards #2, #6 and modified version of #4. Trailering to Winston for Chloride, trailering to Santa Fe truck stop for Mt Withington, leave from restaurant after breakfast for Paloma gap.

I'm definitely interested in trying route 20 as well as some others. I hope I can find someone willing to try as well. Really looking forward to this ride!

Did the GPS tracks for this year get posted somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoy I-10 tomorrow [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The riders meet up daily for breakfast at the Sunset Grill about 8a.

I just loaded my GPS with the following routes, I only plan to ride one per day, the selection will be a group decision:
  • Suggested Route 2 - St. Cloud + Chloride Canyon + Lookout Mountain + The Nash Cut-off: ~ 147 miles. Rating: Moderate. This variation of the Chloride Canyon loop was first suggested in 2016 and has proven to be the #1 “Rider’s Choice” over the past two years. After a short side trip into Chloride (the townsite), the route swings south past the active St. Cloud mining area (a zeolite mine) and winds its way up and down through the area south of Chloride Canyon. After passing several interesting historical mine sites, the road rejoins the “traditional” Chloride Canyon route about 1.5 miles up from the town site. The route eventually climbs up out of Seventyfour Draw to join the road to Lookout Mountain (where a short spur leads to some great views off this high point) before rejoining the traditional route down Forest 226 toward the Beaverhead Highway. A few miles short of the highway is the turn for The Nash Cut-Off. This is a more interesting route than the last few miles of gravel to the highway. Keep a sharp look-out for the namesake relic. After reaching the highway, there is an optional loop to the north that should be very green and scenic this year. It includes a segment called Adobe Canyon at the north end that is a real gem. Gas is available in Winston at the General Store and they typically have premium available.

• Suggested Route 7 - Palomas Gap with the North exit: ~47 miles. Rating: Harder. This alternative version of the Palomas Gap route was first offered in 2015. It has been updated for 2019 as the previous route is now off limits to the public due to locked gates at private property. This version of Palomas Gap is shorter in mileage and skips the antenna farm in favor of additional rugged desert terrain. It features roads that get only infrequent use, some steep/loose/rocky hills, deep sand in arroyos, and requires excellent route-finding skills. Our thanks to inmate Grizzzly for sharing with us!

I would add in a ride up to the antenna farm at the top of Brushy Mountain which will add to the mileage.

• Suggested Route 8 – McLeod Hills: ~87 miles. Rating: Moderate to Harder. This was a “new” route for 2018 and we know there are still many riders who have yet to enjoy its charms. It is located further east as the McLeod Hills are the major ridge east of the Caballo Mountains. As such, the “meat” of this route can be accessed by either running fast paved and gravel roads or by climbing up through Palomas Gap. The route uses a combination of very primitive (read “primitive” as hardly ever used!) roads to run along the base of the ridge for about 10 miles first on the west face and then on the east face. We can just about guarantee that you will not see anybody else out in this area! The transition from west to east is accomplished via a very interesting and fun canyon that will have you swearing you have been transported to Moab. The exit joins up with the Tipton Ranch road which eventually takes you back to civilization. Don’t run this one solo!

• Suggested Route 10 - Mine Tank Loop + Broadhurst Arroyo: ~89 miles. Rating: Harder. Mine Tank Loop was first offered in 2016 but has mutated and evolved each year since. There are several additional “more difficult” options if you want even more rocks, steep hills, and ledges. This year’s offering includes an optional “West Mine Tank” route that is a little longer and probably in the “Difficult” category. This is very rugged and remote country (and a personal favorite) through canyons that can get mighty warm if the sun is bright. Make sure you have plenty of water and stamina if you attempt this one.

• Suggested Route 15 - Apache Gap + Palomas Gap: ~73 miles. Rating: Difficult. Here is a route for riders looking for even more challenge. The climb up Apache Gap is typically thought of as "difficult" with numerous rocks and ledges encountered on the way up. This version also has an several optional routes to include the high viewpoint from the antenna farm on the top of Timber Mountain. These optional routes can be combined or run in different directions to make this loop even longer and more difficult.

• Suggested Route 17 – Springtime Campground + Blue Ribbon Trail + Aragon Hill + Rocky Top Loop: ~111 miles. Rating: Harder. The route past Springtime Campground (above) has long been an easy, scenic favorite. Adding the Blue Ribbon Trail (Harder) Aragon Hill (Moderate) and Rocky Top (Harder) loops adds length and considerable difficulty and “spice” to this new combination. The Blue Ribbon Trail actually uses Forest Road 922 but its lack of use for many years until we (minimally) cleared it in 2018 essentially renders it a single track. Riders loved it last year! The Aragon Loop is on the easy side of Harder but way scenic. The trifecta ends with the 20-mile Rocky Top loop. It includes a long ride up a gravel arroyo, some really tight tree dodging as riders wind down a 2nd arroyo, and then some steep and very rocky ascents and descents. The route crosses the summit we are calling “Rocky Top” for no apparent reason other than it is the highest ground around with views to match. The descent down yet another arroyo leads riders back to the graded county road. This combo route offers enough length and challenge to appeal to most riders looking for a tougher day. By mixing and matching carefully, it can be tailored to be easier and/or shorter if the main loop is too taxing.

• Suggested Route 19 – Lyda K Mine + Mine Tank: ~94 miles. Rating: Difficult. The Lyda K Mine portion of this route was new in 2017. In addition to some interesting mining ruins in the foothills west of the Caballo Mountains, it offers some rough and tumble riding up and down steep, rocky hills and winding rocky arroyos. We have teamed it with the Mine Tank Loop which offers more of the same for a day-long adventure that might have you ready for a cold one by the time you get back. And because some of you are total masochists, we have added another “new” option for 2019. We are calling this canyon descent “The Gullet”. Trials riders will smile, others probably won’t but it isn’t quite as hard as it first appears. Since we don’t know just how riders will fare on this new option, there are a plethora easier/faster and harder/longer bypass and exit options.

• Suggested Route 20 – The 2019 RCR Sufferfest: ~130 miles. Rating: Difficult. What is the Desert Sufferfest? An imaginative and taxing combination that links most of the harder and difficult loop options east of the river into one never-ending endurance festival. We first offered this by request in 2017. No one has yet finished the whole enchilada. We have continued to refine and tweak the route and this year’s edition includes both the new Mine Tank West and “Down the Gullet” offerings. If you weary of the fun, we have included many options to bail back out to the highway, town, and beer. Can anyone ride it in one day? We even included an optional gas/food stop in Hatch about midway. Oh, and the hardest sections are toward the end of the day. Choose carefully and plan ahead. Have fun and stay safe.
OK so I'm holding you and I to Route 20! See you Thursday!

At the point in time, Friday AM will be the earliest I can leave. If things don't pan out here, I'll let everyone know.
So if I make it, I definitely want to do Route 2. Not sure about the others yet. I don't want to work too hard on this trip.
At least my bike is back together and ready.

Back