• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

9-10 day Ouray CO ride May 21st

Reaction score
First Name
Emile
Last Name
Unverzagt
I'll be leaving Friendswood on my k1200s Saturday, May 21st and heading to Ouray for 2 days riding SW CO. Camping along the way. Wife would feel better if I had someone going with, but I don't know many riders up for such a trip.

Day 1 In-laws property outside of Tarpley
Day 2 Carlsbad CO
Day 3 Ruidosa,
Day 4 Santa Fe
Day 5 Arrive Ouray CO
Day 6 Ride Ouray CO
Day 7 Ride Ouray CO
Day 8 Lubbock Area
Day 9 Marble Falls
Day 10 Home

http://www.obriensouraycolorado.com/
Check in for the soup of the day and if they have the Green Chili soup, get it. Wasn't sure if I was going to like it but I ended up scarfing it down it was so delicious.

Enjoy, be careful and watch the weather. That is still deep into "Anything Goes" territory when it comes to the weather. Take lots of pics and post a ride report when you get back so we can all be jealous.

I would join you in a heartbeat but already committed to New Orleans the weekend of May 21. I rode the TAT last summer through Ouray and Telluride as well as many dirtbike single track trips up there. Try to eat at True Grit cafe in Ridgeway where part of the John Wayne movie was filmed and ride Last Dollar Road into Telluride. Beautiful area. Enjoy.

drop in to the HANDLE BAR in SILVERTON & have a bowl of PEACH COBBLER W/ ICE CREAM for me

sw

What roads are you planning on riding? Ole Miner steak house in Gunnison is good also for dinner and the W cafe for breakfast.

Loving all the advice...Thank you, my mouth is watering :eat:. If someone is up for going on this trip with me, I can be a little flexible with the dates and very flexible with the routes. I mean I can push it back a week but would need to be back by June 5th.

Right now, I'm looking at making these routes once I get up there.

https://goo.gl/maps/fUxRdiswWwQ2

https://goo.gl/maps/2dpu7h1peFk

Last edited:
A couple of us are going a 7 to 10 day ride the end of May beginning of June 2016 to Jackson Hole Wyoming, Grand Teton National Park area. Camping all the way. We are leaving on the 28th. Will be going up through CO gonna visit the Garden of the Gods and Pikes peak while in that State of course the route is subject to change once we get to our northern most point, who knows http://www.mapquest.com/directions/from/us/tx/snyder-282027166/to/us/texas/amarillo-282039589/to/us/new-mexico/raton-282030594/to/us/co/pueblo-282040865/to/us/colorado/cos-colorado-springs-airport-10080195/to/us/colorado/dinosaur-282026364/to/us/utah/vernal-282036381/to/us/wyoming/jac-jackson-hole-airport-14710241/to/us/idaho/ida-idaho-falls-regional-airport-14710224/to/us/id/st-charles-282089811/to/us/utah/salt-lake-city-282039772/to/us/utah/monticello-282033270/to/us/new-mexico/row-roswell-international-air-center-10616226/to/us/texas/snyder-282027166

Last edited:
If you are able to swing it , I highly suggest making a route that allows you to ride US191 from Clifton to Alpine Arizona. Greatest road Ive ever ridden!

I just jokingly told the woman Id like to do this ride with u and she just shrugged. Not sure what that meant but it couldnt be good since I was gone for 7 days on a Big Bend trip 2 werks ago. If anything materializes for me Ill let u know....

If you are able to swing it , I highly suggest making a route that allows you to ride US191 from Clifton to Alpine Arizona. Greatest road Ive ever ridden!

I couldn't agree more. If you are anywhere close to 191, don't miss it.

Hmm... I've been itching to go for a ride before it gets hot.

Will be going up through CO gonna visit the Garden of the Gods and Pikes peak

If your going north from GOTG, check out US Forrest 300 - Rampart Range Rd. Ends at US HWY 67 which runs down into Sedalia CO Just south of Denver. Also you can cut NE and pick up I 70 and not go through Denver at all. Here's part one, also watch part two.[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMrA_ITnr1U"]Rampage Ridge Rd[/ame]

8bit

Last edited:

I just jokingly told the woman Id like to do this ride with u and she just shrugged. Not sure what that meant but it couldnt be good since I was gone for 7 days on a Big Bend trip 2 werks ago. If anything materializes for me Ill let u know....
Yea, I try not to ask the wife for more than 1 big trip a quarter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

a meal @ the TRUE GRIT CAFE in Ridgeway will put you where THE DUKE first appeared in the movie & the park across the street is where the hanging took place

when you get to MOUNTAIN VILLAGE you can park free & take a free gondola ride over the mountain down into T-****-u-ride

breakfast at the DURANGO DINER in downtown Durango is quite worthy

EXTREME CAUTION is suggested if riding these 2 loops anywhere near dusk or early morning

shiny side up

sw

Yes, if you are going to be that way, the Black Canyon is a must see. Make sure to stop at the scenic viewpoints and take pictures. The views are amazing.

Your second loop is doable but will be longer than you think. It's easy to wave off 350 miles thinking it's an easy day...and google tells you it'll be easy too. It does take longer than you think though up there. Twisty roads, places to stop and look, getting stuck behind an RV, it all takes up time. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just make sure you are well rested and plan accordingly. I'm quite jealous as I had to cut 141 out of my last trip. Saving that one for next time. :D

Dutch already chimed in here with out trip but; we are doing something similar with us leaving here on the 28th. We'll be meeting in Snyder, TX the morning of the 28th then on to Amarillo for the night to check out Palo Duro. On to Colorado Springs the next day to camp and hit up Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods the next day. We'll make our way towards Vernal, UT after that for the night and onto Jackson Hole, WY/The Grand Tetons for a day or so of exploration and camping. We're planning on hitting Craters of the Moon National Monument, down through Salt Lake City and back through the SW corner of CO, to Roswell, NM then headed back home. The western leg is up in the air. We originally planned to head down to Bryce Canyon, UT and then on to The Grand Canyon. Bucket list: The Grand Canyon National Forest has tons of fire roads and we were talking about riding to the rim of The Grand Canyon to camp there for the night (seriously...camping on the rim of The Grand Canyon...how much better can it get!). Then to the Petrified Forest National Park, Roswell, then home. Everything is completely open. No hard plans, just kinda make it up as we go and take whatever time we need. We might cut out the far western leg and come back into CO instead of heading south to AZ to cut some miles and free up some time to see the other places we stop at. Camping the whole way. Trying to keep it cheap, with the exception of finding some great places to eat. :eat:

Hit one of us up if you're interested. I'm riding out on the night of the 27th to San Angelo and then onto Snyder the next day. Taking roughly 10 days so we plan on being back in town on, or about, 7 June. Dutch has already gotten the time off work approved and my projection has already been approved so we're kinda set for those dates (except on the back end, we can come back earlier or even take an extra day or so if needed).

Anyone else is welcome for all or part of the trip. :rider:

Thank you very much for the invite. Sounds like an epic trip. Unfortunately I need to be back a little sooner than that. I'll be looking forward to the next one though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

This first route is almost identical to the one my wife and I did on my FJR in 2012. It was a great ride. Really enjoyed stopping for the Mesa Verde Indian ruins west of Durango. Well worth the stop.

Also did a Jeep tour out of Ouray. Pretty thrilling. Would've loved to have had the Super Tenere instead though.

Your not thinking of taking I25 north thru NM?:eek2: North central New Mexico is a beautiful area if you have time to ride it on the way back you won't regret it. Have you ever rode in that area?

Telluride is a tourist overload of a town. Fredericksburg times three. Ridiculously low speed limits and traffic,foot and car everywhere you look. There is a nice water fall photo op at the edge of town. Not trying to change your mind but just giving kindly advice. That second loop looks interesting. Montrose and Gunnison are nice little towns. Like others have said the Black canyon of the Gunnison is well worth a stop. The back side has some fantastic tight turns that you will enjoy. Some pictures of it in the thread in my above post.

CO149 is a killer road also. From South Fork north all the way to 50. So many good spots you could ride all month and not run out of sweet roads.

Last edited:
Your not thinking of taking I25 north thru NM?:eek2: North central New Mexico is a beautiful area if you have time to ride it on the way back you won't regret it. Have you ever rode in that area?

Telluride is a tourist overload of a town. Fredericksburg times three. Ridiculously low speed limits and traffic,foot and car everywhere you look. There is a nice water fall photo op at the edge of town. Not trying to change your mind but just giving kindly advice. That second loop looks interesting. Montrose and Gunnison are nice little towns. Like others have said the Black canyon of the Gunnison is well worth a stop. The back side has some fantastic tight turns that you will enjoy. Some pictures of it in the thread in my above post.

CO149 is a killer road also. From South Fork north all the way to 50. So many good spots you could ride all month and not run out of sweet roads.

I've never ridden it before. Just went there for the 1st time on a ski trip and knew I needed to get up there on my bike :rider:
https://goo.gl/maps/sN5kYbCv5ck

I'm going to stay up on the mountain by Santa Fe. Then probably going to take a fairly direct route to Ridgeway from there. I've played w/ detours to other great roads in the area, but I want to be as rested as can be for my time in CO. Still working on my route home though.

Too many great roads to ride in one trip :giveup:

This first route is almost identical to the one my wife and I did on my FJR in 2012. It was a great ride. Really enjoyed stopping for the Mesa Verde Indian ruins west of Durango. Well worth the stop.

Also did a Jeep tour out of Ouray. Pretty thrilling. Would've loved to have had the Super Tenere instead though.

I loved Mesa Verde! Took the family camping there 2yrs ago

I think this was my route https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Rif...21bf61863!2m2!1d-108.4618335!2d37.2308729!3e0

Wife and kids pulled an empty trailer so I could ride.

https://goo.gl/photos/8gc8V8QaHCA8t5Kb7 (sorry, not great w/ forums) trying to put in pics from Google Photos but not sure how...guess I'll google it :zen:

Last edited:
Do not pay attention to what google maps say time wise on your route. Rock slides and constant construction cause delays in some areas. Plus picture taking delays.:photo: In Colorado you can stop every mile for a picture if you had time. Great roads and great scenery makes for a hard choice of should I keep riding or pull the camera out?:deal:

Chama has a neat train ride you can go on but you might want to save that and do it with the wife and kids. It is something they will never forget.
http://www.google.com/url?url=http:...ggUMAA&usg=AFQjCNH_wq6emubidGIZI4jyHFvDWGcu5g

On the return trip ride the 38 loop,518 and 434 in northern NM. You will thank me when you get back.

Gas prices are higher in Colorado than in New Mexico so gas up before you cross the border.

Last edited:
Two things to pack.

1. Hiking boots.
2. Extra time.

Seriously, there's so many places you'll see with a bunch of cars in a dirt lot on the side of the road and a trail leading away ad out of sight. I saw a zillion of these in Rocky Mountain National Park. I was wishing I had both of these so I could see where some of those trails went.

Have you done any modifications to your trip or are you going as planned? What sort of tent are you using?

I've watched enough dual survival, armed with watching Cody lunden my trusty axe a nice lean too is well within my skill set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up an Alps Mountaineering Mystique 1 on Amazon for about $80 I think. Great one-person tent. Packs really small and really light. Waterproof. Almost can't beat it.

I also have a Coleman Peak 1 Cobra that I've had for about 15 years. I finally retired it this year because the seams and waterproof lining on the rainfly started to come apart. But, 15 years for about $60...can't do much better than that. Highly recommend it.

Back