• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

9-11 Groveton ride

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
Greater Houston d/s riders
Author

Alright, for the folks who are interested in joining. The meetup time will be 8:00am at Chevron in New Waverly. KSU at 8:15am! Here is the address: 9309 TX-75, New Waverly, TX 77358. I also mentioned in the main text above!! See you guys this morning!

Last edited:
If you'd posted this 12 hours earlier I'd have been there. Instead you posted it when I wouldn't needed to leave home to get there and I was asleep.

Sorry, I made my decision this morning.
20210911_080004.jpg
20210911_100719.jpg

Last edited:
241100735_10223578712647373_2203512939697769322_n.jpg

Always have to eat!!! We had 2 African Twins, T-700, BMW 1250 and 850, and a DRZ-400 super motored with dirt tires. Nice setup, swap wheels and have a different bike!

240598516_10223578714487419_5875917438138133979_n.jpg

Notice the wiggly lines, pretty sure someone dropped one here!!!

Probably not the best tire for this stuff but as a 50/50 tire I was impressed with the Dunlop Trail Mission tires. Great all around tire in my opinion. And that's with 7000 miles on them.

Wish I had seen this sooner you would've counted two DRZ's in the group. Ya'll had great weather too.

Wish I had seen this sooner you would've counted two DRZ's in the group. Ya'll had great weather too.
And you would have been on the correct bike, lol! My wife asks me why I take a BIG bike and do this stuff. I dunno! The 850 is a challenge but still fun and makes the road connections so much easier. And a a great commuter when needed. But wasn't made for the beach roads, ha.

Reactions: JMZ

It would've needed to be posted more than an hour and fifteen minutes before the meetup for anyone who didn't have inside knowledge to be there...

It would've needed to be posted more than an hour and fifteen minutes before the meetup for anyone who didn't have inside knowledge to be there...
2nd time you posted this, I get it. Was just a notice if someone was close. I decided to go at last minute. Not sure what you want me to say. Wasn't my ride, sorry. Guess I won't share next time. But there is some local riders I don't have contact for that might could do last minute deal.

2nd time you posted this, I get it. Was just a notice if someone was close. I decided to go at last minute. Not sure what you want me to say. Wasn't my ride, sorry. Guess I won't share next time. But there is some local riders I don't have contact for that might could do last minute deal.

It's pretty bad when the forum owner/operator and one of the most active posters on the forum make a ride and there's no notice of it posted until it's too late. If y'all don't want the rest of us to come, fine. Just don't tease us like this.

Dude, last time. I did not plan this ride and Scott did not plan this ride. I decided at last minute, Scott is on call 24/7 call and didn't know to that morning if he could attend. No one was/is left out. Just the way it went down. the guys I rode with i had never met before. Not a TWTEX ride. This was a FACEBOOK group ride.

From "Greater Houston Dual Sport Riders"

Alright, Saturday (9/11), Groveton loop (170 miles, ~65% dirt, including gravel, forest fire road, sand, and 1.5 water crossing)! Weather is looking good! Start&end at New Waverly, lunch&gas at Groveton. To see any one would like to join.Cheers!
Edited:
Meetup time, 8:00am at Chevron in New Waverly. KSU at 8:15am!
Address:
9309 TX-75, New Waverly, TX 77358

And I do apologize for last minute post up, wasn't the best decision obviously and won't happen again. BTW, just because i post a LOT, I have no affiliation with TWTEX. It's all on me not the site, all.

No reason not to post up even if it is last minute. That is how most of my rides work out. Sometimes you can make a ride sometimes you can’t.

ALL of my riding is spur of the moment and open to being canceled the moment my phone rings. I did not decide to do this ride until my feet swung out of bed the morning of the ride. I only knew about it because I happen to be a member of that FB group. I had never met any of the other riders before and did not even know Rob was going to be there because he had already told me he probably wouldn't be there. I gambled that I might not get called for work. That lasted until about 3:30pm right as we were sitting at the end of the ride cooling off and discussing how folks were heading home. So I had to head home and go to work. Sunday morning I got 4 calls while sitting in church.

I used to plan and announce rides, but I can't do that anymore. In fact, this was the first time I have ridden with anyone else since April I think. Being on call 24/7/365 has really cut back on my riding. So I can understand Rob sharing at the last moment even though it may not be ideal for everyone.

It was a fun ride. There was some sand that most folks would likely not enjoy. It was VERY dry and dusty!! I am not used to riding at the back of groups on these kinds of rides as I used to be the one most often leading them. I spent a lot of time sitting on the side of the road, engine off, waiting for the rider in front of me to disappear and for the dust cloud to blow away. I don't like riding blind.

Rob, my GS is a 1200 ;-) I can't afford a 1250 yet :-P

Please continue to share any rides, live close enough and could have made this but had a buyer coming to pick my Harley, sold to first looker, a friend of my sons. Now he wants a commission. I also would have chosen the drz400s for that ride.

Back