• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A-B-C Towns (in order) Pic Game

Voltar said:
Well, as slow as things are moving here we may start taking pics of any random MC pic from a google search with a cheesy Photoshopped town name in it.:rofl:

Nah! If it was too easy and we did it in a week it wouldn't be any fun. If it took a half year to go once though the alphabet and was drawn out, I think it wold be fine. In fact since we are playing a bit looser with the rules this first time through (like allowing post offices and other stuff with the town name on it), I think in the next round we should go with a strict interpretation of the original rules and the pictures MUST BE A CITY LIMIT SIGN. If the town doesn't have one or it's not safe to stop, then you just have to search harder for another entry to the town or find another town altogether.

Part of the fun of playing a game with rules is to see how you can skirt the rules and still have a game. Same game, but, with a bit of a "twist", if you know what I mean.

We could run two games, one with the Orthodox Conservative rules, and one with the Liberal, loose and sloppy, rules, simultaneously and see which one has more PARTICIPATION.

Voltar said:
Well, you can still go for either. I drove to Kyle, Texas and took this pic. However, as the rulemaster for this contest I disqualify the pic because it is so lousy. I mean, it could be any city in Texas. Anywho, just to keep "tension" on the game, I'll post it anyway.
129152923_ab82f60a76_o.jpg

So, if you have a "J", bring it on

Other wise, "K"s are up.

I live in Lufkin, in fact, my back fence line is the city limit. I have yet to find the sign posted there! Somebody find a small "L" town for the game.

I have an "M" (Marion) ready, and I got an "O" today (Old Colita).

Let's roll.

I thought the pics had to include the city limit sign?

I thought the city limit sign was mandatory and post offices, cemetaries, water towers, court houses, etc were for extra points. So what gives?? :huh: :huh:

Many communities don't have "official" city limits signs. This could be because they are not incorporated anymore, or because the town is gone. People moved away when the only employer in the area moved to a more lucrative location.

Historical markers dot the woods of East Texas to remind us of former thriving sawmill communities that sprang up and faded out back in the "Cut 'n Run" habits of lumber mills in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

Some communities have only a general store, that also served as a Post Office, Spit 'n Whittle, and social gathering spot for the rural area surrounding it. The signage on that building may be the only public posting of the community's name, thus it's use for our game shouldn't be denied.

Now, on with the search!

I slackend the rules some.

My goal was to give an excuse to ride to someplace and create a contest. I don't need much of a reason to ride, but I like to have some purpose.

Keep it fun, but let's keep to the order.

Go for it!

FJR Bandit said:
I thought the city limit sign was mandatory and post offices, cemetaries, water towers, court houses, etc were for extra points. So what gives?? :huh: :huh:

OK, I'm going to bust this thing wide open. I rode about 200 miles today and got a bunch. So here goes.
K...
Kirbyville.jpg

Things that make you go what????
KirbyvilleMHRS.jpg

L...
LibertyCommunity.jpg

M, if it counts. Couldn't find a city marker for anything.
MauricevilleElementary.jpg

N...
Newton.jpg

O...
OldSalemVFD.jpg

The hometown...
OrangeSign.jpg

P...
PineGrove.jpg

Q...
Quicksand.jpg

Most of these were taken along or near US87. I look for any reason possible to ride FM1414. So someone hurry up and post an "R" so I have to go back and get Stringtown and Six Mile.

WOW!! Took off a BIG CHUNK.

Voltar, would it be OK for me to post?:

Marion, Angelina County

MarionAngelinaCty.jpg

MarionAngelinaCty2.jpg

MarionAngelinaCty3.jpg

and Old Colita, Polk County

OldColita.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
DANNYROTH said:
Grovetpn-Nigton.jpg

Not sure of the origin of that name, methinks it may be of African derivation.:doh:

From the Handbook of Texas Online:
NIGTON, TEXAS. Nigton, a farming community at the junction of Farm roads 2262 and 2501, seventeen miles southwest of Groveton in northeastern Trinity County, was settled by former slaves in 1873. The name was suggested by one of the former slaves, Jeff Carter, who was a civic leader during the early years of the settlement. A post office was established there in 1894, and by 1896 the community had three churches, a sawmill and gin, a wagonmaker, a shoemaker, and a reported population of 500. The post office closed in 1923. During the early 1940s only a school, a church, a store, and ten residents remained. Later the population grew somewhat, and by the early 1990s the community reported thirty-four residents. At that time descendants of the original African-American settlers still lived in the area.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Patricia B. and Joseph W. Hensley, eds., Trinity County Beginnings (Groveton, Texas: Trinity County Book Committee, 1986).

wow! thats quite a chunk of towns!! :clap: I'm going to have to consult a map to see what I have w/in reason of my location.

Well, sense weslinder pushed it to "Q" and Marion starts with a "M"..... let's see.... how did that song go..... A..BC...DEFG... (etc.).

I gonna say "no" on that one.

DANNYROTH said:
Voltar, would it be OK for me to post?:

Marion, Angelina County

Does anyone see the same problem coming that I see? Plan it out like you're going to do the all rest of the towns yourself. Now do you see it?

:doh:

Except for X, Texas has a town or community starting with every other letter.

Were y'all OK with my suggestion regarding the XIT ranch? It was bigger, and inhabited by more people than most towns in Texas in the early part of the last century.

I'll buzz down the road and get Zavalla for the "Z", I know then that no one can post a town name after that letter that trumps my ability to post!!!

So....what are we still "officially" looking for? Trying to read through all the posts to see where we are is giving me a headache!

Beady :giveup:

If I didn't have to fix my fence today I could go do Reklaw, Sacul, Timpson, and Tenaha in one fell swoop. Anyone near Nacogdoches, there's your chance.

By the way, the first two towns are common names spelled backwards.

I see I'm a little late on this one :giveup: , but I figure I'll post it so I can get it of my pc.

Attachments

• 100_0697.JPG
    100_0697.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 249
Back