• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A Beast Of An Adventure

Yikes.
I watched the pbs nature show on big bend last week and according to this show the black bear is back in texas, in big bend.
I've seen bears in Arkansas on rides. Would live to see one in Texas.

Best place to see a black bear in Big Bend is the area behind the restaurant in the basin. I have seen them there on two separate trips early in the morning.

That’s pretty neat.
If you can find the show ‘Nature’ on pbs big bend episode, it’s worth the watch. Some of the narration is goofy but the camera work is stellar.

Since so many of us have been to BB I forgot to mention that episode. It was good wasn't it.

Good for you Gina!! Bear sightings are usually so brief. Sounds like a close encounter. Fight Gina, Fight!

First trip in 19' to cloudcroft and I see the tail end of a black crossing the road. Some folks look for them actively and I see one by chance first trip.

Last edited:
Mountain lion sightings in the BB area are also on the rise. During my decades of off road (2-track), river running, and backpacking in the area, I never saw a bear or lion...even spending days in the Chisos...not even a foot print at any spring...and I looked. Three Decembers ago while on the River Road in the NP near the Woodson's turnoff, I finally saw a mountain lion trotting down the road in front of me as I crested a rise while riding my DS bike. He was heading away from me...guess he heard me coming and hadn't left the road yet. While still trotting he turned his/her head toward me and then gassed it up and turned south into the brush. It was awesome.

Those familiar with the spot on the River Road near Woodson's know there is a large drainage area coming from the north where lots of vegetation grows. It is often full of rabbits because of that, and I can only guess that it is a decent feeding ground for the lion, coyotes, bobcats, etc.

In 2008, I saw this one eating prickly pears. It was close to the start of a hike up Emery Peak. A lady at the store in the Chisos Basin told me I could have seen a momma and two cubs trying to eat out of the dumpster if I had stayed at the basis instead of hiking.

bear.jpg

Back