• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A couple of shots.

Yup; he said his computer crashed and he just had a few photos left; who knows what state they were in. Frankly, photography (at least the art of CAPTURING the image) has nothing to do with how well you work in photoshop. In fact, if you require that much photoshop skill to MAKE a decent image, you're probably not a very good photographer. Might be time to take a little self-evaluation here.

:clap::thumb::bow:

I hate PhotoShop. It has ruined the art of photography.

Oh, I don't know that it has ruined photography; I suppose from a purist's perspective it has. True, you're stepping beyond what you capture, but it opens up a whole new world of taking a photo and turning it into art. I can capture an incredible shot, and make it even more amazing and help me tell the story and set the mood far better if I do just a little tweaking to the color and focus. Heck, they've really been doing that all along, they just did it with chemicals and various techniques before. It's just easier and far more accessible now.

That said, I *always* take a photo with the intention of taking a photo that stands on its own without doing any re-touching; and I do very little in most instances. Sometimes, though, I'm very thankful I can really shove colors, etc. around when I get a good image, but the exposure is all wrong.

:clap::thumb::bow:

I hate PhotoShop. It has ruined the art of photography.

Personally, I have never used PS and I agree to a point, but modern photography is now no longer just an art, it's also a science.

True art in photography remains in film and in black in white IMO.

Edit: In manual mode!

Oh, I don't know that it has ruined photography; I suppose from a purist's perspective it has. True, you're stepping beyond what you capture, but it opens up a whole new world of taking a photo and turning it into art. I can capture an incredible shot, and make it even more amazing and help me tell the story and set the mood far better if I do just a little tweaking to the color and focus. Heck, they've really been doing that all along, they just did it with chemicals and various techniques before. It's just easier and far more accessible now.

That said, I *always* take a photo with the intention of taking a photo that stands on its own without doing any re-touching; and I do very little in most instances. Sometimes, though, I'm very thankful I can really shove colors, etc. around when I get a good image, but the exposure is all wrong.

It has its place but I'll tell the story I've told before:

I've always admired Popular Photography magazine and yearly photo contest until about 3 or 4 years ago. The winning photo was I believe 7 different shots blended together with PS and some major post processing. Right then and there I decided that Popular Photography was no longer a photography magazine and more of a CAD magazine for photographers.

I love film. I love B&W photography. With PS and all the other processing programs available (including built right into the basic cell phone camera) you can turn any photo into a B&W photo. But nothing can compare to a true B&W photo taken with B&W film.

I know there's always been processing but even that was an artistic talent when chemical processing was used. I've used some programs to crop photos or add sepia tones to but I've never been satisfied with anything I've actually worked over with a program. Like you, every shot I take is taken with the hopes that it'll stand on its own with no adjustments.

Sorry to the OP for the hijack. I'm going to go dust off my Elan now. :lol2:

Back