• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A photo shoot gig for Mothers of PreSchoolers... or MOPS

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Howdy,

:tab So I occasionally take pictures of kids at church when they are goofing around on the play ground after church while waiting for the parents to decide where they might want to go for lunch. I also shoot some of the church events. I usually end up posting pics of the kids on their parent's Facebook pages (after asking to make sure it's okay). One thing led to another and I was asked if I would mind shooting pictures of a MOPS event.

:tab MOPS is a ministry for mothers of preschoolers. Child care is provided and it allows the moms a chance to visit with other moms in the same stage of life. There are also "Mentor Moms" that attend and share their experiences as survivors of raising preschoolers. Our church has been hosting MOPS for quite a few years. There are some paid child care people, but there are also a lot of Grandmothers that come in and help with all the kids. There have been times when there have been 100 kids or more.

:tab I was up at the church Wednesday evening and set up everything for the family shots to make sure I had everything right. The moms that recruited me were there and put together the backdrop. I could not get the light from the flashes to work the way I wanted. I was getting reflections off of eye glasses. A friend from church that is also a photographer happened to be there and was helping me. She volunteered to run home and grab her light stand. I only had one. This let us setup two flashes about 45 degrees to either side of the camera and get rid of the reflections. Here's the setup with my helper,

IMG_1824.jpg

:tab The flashes are my SB700 in the soft box on left and my old SB-28 shooting through the umbrella on the right. I used a set of Cowboy Studio radio triggers to fire them in manual mode. The SB700 was set to 1/4 and the SB-28 to 1/8 since it was brighter through the umbrella. The moms would enter the building through a side door down the hall on the left and come through the sanctuary to arrive for pictures at the doors on the FAR right. After the picture, they would exit stage left into the hall and drop off their kids at the age appropriate rooms before heading up to their meeting room.

This is Melanie, the one that recruited me
750_3796.jpg

and Kristin, a budding photographer that just bought all my D7000 stuff.
750_3799.jpg

:tab After these two shots, moms started arriving pretty quick. The photo shoot isn't really part of the normal schedule, so no extra time was set aside for taking the pictures. The way it was presented to me, the moms would arrive, cue through the sanctuary into the "studio", get their picture taken and move on to the hallway. Of course, I knew that it would not go so fast and smooth. There were kids involved! It become obvious REAL fast which kids were morning kids and which were not :lol2: In general though, it worked pretty well. I tried to get 3-4 shots of each family. Sarah had some dolls and stuffed animals that she would let some of the younger ones hold. That worked well except for a few that wanted to keep them after the shots! We got real busy for about 15 minutes and then had the late comers arrives sporadically for about another 15 minutes. In total, I think we shot for about 45 minutes to an hour before breaking down to visit the various rooms for candid shots of the kids and moms.

ELBC = Elkin's Lake Baptist Church
750_3855.jpg

The older kids are part of home school families. There were activities for the older kids as well.
750_3893.jpg

:tab Overall, I am pleased with the portrait shots. Given the short notice to prepare and time frame for shooting, they turned out nice. The size of the backdrop is larger than I would have preferred. In order to keep the words in the frame, it makes the people take up less space. It would have been better for people standing, not sitting. But a standing shot with the kids would have been tough. Most of the time I was able to get good shots with everyone looking and smiling. But there were some tough customers that just weren't gonna cooperate, stuffed animals or not!

:tab And now for some candids. Next time, I think I will need to bring along some knee pads... I don't get around on my knees like I used to :doh:

750_3896.jpg

750_3906.jpg

This dude is cool. He had on a great cape. He's BATMAN! It said so on the shirt! :thumb:
750_3920.jpg

750_3928.jpg

The hat was his idea
750_3931.jpg

Maddie is one of my regular "models". She follows me around either wanting her picture taken or to see the images on the back of the camera. She WANTS to push those buttons!!
750_3947.jpg

This little dude was chasing after me faster than I could back away while on my hands and knees with a camera in my hand!!
750_3953.jpg

Mrs Geneva Tyler. My kids all love her and her husband. The bring donuts to Sunday School :doh: :lol2:
750_3970.jpg

This guy was happy just chilling in the middle of the room watching all the action
750_3974.jpg

This one was chasing after me as well. She REALLY likes having her picture taken!
750_3976.jpg

Mrs Brenda Tatum... ALWAYS with that beautiful smile on her face!
750_3984.jpg

Cool eyes...
750_4005.jpg

:tab Taking pictures of babies is a challenge, especially if they don't know you. Some freak out. Some love it. Some will warm up to you. Some will poop in their diaper... :eek2: The room definitely had an "earthy" odor to it :lol2:

:tab I left the baby room and headed for the Pre K and Kindergarten. These kids are a little easier because I can talk to them. That makes a HUGE difference. I also let some of them take a few pictures (with help) just to get them "into" the whole taking pictures thing. That worked pretty well.

This one LOVED having her picture taken
750_4015.jpg

This dude can't take a bad shot. He is incredibly relaxed in front of the camera
750_4025.jpg

I had to work on this guy, but he came around after seeing me getting fun shots of the other kids
750_4051.jpg

750_4061.jpg

750_4053.jpg

The mother of all cowlicks!! :shocked:
750_4065.jpg

750_4080.jpg

This photo is a GREAT example of what drives me freaking NUTS!
750_4104.jpg

:tab Sarah is not well focused and the other girl is. Yet, their faces are really close together and almost in the same plane. Controlling the DOF and actually knowing what will happen seems to just be a "thing" for me. I get real frustrated with it. If I stop down the lens to 5.6 or 8, either the shutter speed wants to drop unacceptably slow, the ISO goes through the roof, or BOTH. I gotta get this sorted out...

See... same thing again. All in a nice line, but as you look from right to left, the focus starts going soft.
750_4105.jpg

This little dude got some serious lip smacking action!! :lol2:
750_4115.jpg

:tab After I was done with the kids, we went upstairs to the big room where the moms were meeting. They were doing some kind of crafts thing and just visiting with each other.

750_4124.jpg

750_4125.jpg

750_4127.jpg

750_4132.jpg

750_4139.jpg

750_4150.jpg

750_4152.jpg

750_4165.jpg

:tab It was getting close to time for everything to end, so Sarah and I hauled back down to the sanctuary to get set up for a group shot of the moms before they grabbed the kids and left. The setup was just a flash stand left and right, with me several rows back into the seats. I popped off about 20 shots before I got the flashes and exposure decent. Sarah was my patient assistant for this step. I let her control the remote trigger for the camera.

750_4195.jpg

:tab Once the ladies started coming it, I got them on the steps real quick, showed them where the edges of the shot would be, and got them arranged without much trouble. A quick peep through the view finder made sure everyone was in the shot and I could see all the heads. Amazingly, they got it right on the FIRST shot!! I went ahead and popped several more just to be sure, but that first one was the best of the bunch. The combination of stage lights, LARGE windows on the side of the sanctuary, and flashes made for a crazy white balance, especially since the stage lights did not fall on everyone the same way!

750_4202-2.jpg

:tab A few of the moms were hanging out talking while their kids were outside goofing around with each other. I grabbed the 70-200 and headed outside for a few more shots.

750_4213.jpg

That tongue is STUCK to the side of his mouth constantly!!
750_4223.jpg

Big brother picking flowers and blackberries
750_4227.jpg

750_4236.jpg

Isaiah. His family is from India. He's a fun kid!
750_4239.jpg

750_4244.jpg

:tab We packed up all the gear and headed for the house. We stopped to grab lunch, I dropped Sarah off at home, and then went to work. I shot around 475 pictures I think. Final count after culling and processing was around 375. Most of the ones culled were because of focus issues. I guess I need to just put the shutter speed around 1/150-1/200, set the aperture to f/8 and just let the ISO float as high as it needs to go :shrug:

:tab I was using the pop up flash for almost all of the indoor shots. I had an old white film canister over it for my diffuser. White balance was a challenge for most of the shots because the rooms all have very large windows and bright fluorescent lighting. The Auto setting kept coming in too warm. Even after processing, I think I left a few of them still too warm.

:tab I need to get another light stand and soft box. I also need to get a trigger system that lets me adjust flash settings remotely. A second SB700 would be nice so the two flashes would have the same output at the same settings. Then I could still use the SB-28 for back lighting.

:tab It was a good learning experience.

Like the candids. Some great shots.
Like the posed; just not crazy about the background.

my rule of thumb now on DOF. F/stop >= # of people in frame

2 things control DOF/focus as I understand it.
Apeture - got that
distance from subject - the one I forget.

I shot around 475 pictures I think. Final count after culling and processing was around 375. Most of the ones culled were because of focus issues. I guess I need to just put the shutter speed around 1/150-1/200, set the aperture to f/8 and just let the ISO float as high as it needs to go :shrug:

Let me put it another way....

You can keep/fix a high ISO noisy image, but you can't fix an out of focus image. So go for the in-focus or it's a trash can shot. High ISO? Fix it in post if that's what you need to get the in-focus shot.

Focus trumps Noise

That "DOF thing" gets everyone with a capable camera. It's amazing how little it takes to get out of focus.
Best way I fix it when ISO, f stops and shutter speed won't allow is to go to a wide angle and crop. A wide perspective gives greater DOF.
Think about it - most shots are just for the web and most cameras have an over abundance of pixels. We've been conditioned to fill the frame when in reality composition can still be there with "extra" around to give cropping freedom. For Facebook or this forum 900x600 would be way big. I have printed a full 24x36" from a 12 megapixels camera (Canon 5D) and it looks great from the intended viewing distance. All my cameras now have 24 - way more than necessary with these kinds of shots since we're not in the business of rendering skin pores with absolute accuracy.
BTW I figured this all out when I did head shots and grip-n-grins at UT. The magazine complained that I didn't give them cropping room so they could fit it into a layout so I started shooting wide to force myself to get a "bigger picture". Then I noticed the DOF issue went away and I had my dopeslap moment.

Last edited:
Scott: its easy to see God's love in all those smiles! I wonder if you are perpendicular to side by side subjects with maybe focus on area between them? My musings, I'm NOT a pro!

Back