• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A quick ride to the End Of The World

Texas T

LD Rider
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
The end of the world is the nickname given to the top of the mountain where the pavement ends and the dirt road takes over for the rest of the trip down the Apache Trail to Roosevelt Dam. It's a couple of miles past Tortilla Flat which in turn is a few miles past Canyon Lake. As you can see in the image below it is quite mountainous and very twisty. This is a favorite "play" spot for the Phoenix-area riders.
4142196282_79d7751c86_o.jpg

I left the house at 7, just in time to catch part of a nice sunrise. The clouds started rolling in yesterday which contributed to this effect.
4141390193_8c5d85b315_b.jpg

We gathered at the local QT (a very upscale Circle K type establishment) before the ride.
4141390405_0ec42313c4_b.jpg

And off we went. Since Brenda wasn't with me there's no "on the road" shots. This is not a route I can ride with one hand on the bars and the other taking photos. I got my GoPro camera yesterday but haven't got it set up for the bike yet.

At the End Of The World looking north.
4141390987_1db50a9a08_b.jpg

Some shots looking to the southwest from our parking spot.
4142147918_ca5532092b_b.jpg

4141391799_1b74212ac2_b.jpg

4142148540_4e19d9d851_b.jpg

From there it was down to Tortilla Flat for breakfast and then a "spirited" ride back down the mountain. On the way up I was 5th in line and rider #2 was taking it s-l-o-w as we twisted and turned up the mountains. While I wanted to play in the curves it was nothing but double-yellows and curves so I just bided my time. After all, we always tell people to "ride their own ride" and that's exactly what this rider was doing.

This road is also used extensively by bicycle riders and this was the first time I have ever had a cyclist pass me when I was on the motorcycle. And he did it on the OUTSIDE line of a left-hander! I was only running about 35 at the time due to the aforementioned slower rider up ahead, but still... that guy had some cajones. ;-)

Don, check out my older ride reports. I think there is a more extensive one in there from a prior ride with Brenda. When she's on the back she's the photographer.

Back