• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A *SUCCESSFUL* BBG1500 ATTEMPT

Splash

User's account inactive by request
Inactive Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Harkins
So I’m going to try again to get a BBG done starting tomorrow morning. My plan is to leave Johnson City, Tx @ 9:00am and run to Benson Az., then turn around and try to beat the clock to Segovia Tx.
I’m watching the forecast out west, particularly Arizona, to see if the predictions for cooler temps actually happen. I’m also dealing with a tweeked back that may preclude my ride.
I’m attaching a link to my spotwalla so you can ride along if I’m able to make my third attempt for the Gold Level Bun Burner. It should go active a little before 09:00 tomorrow. Giddy Up!

Just realized I probably should have explained what a BBG means. To get the Gold you need to cover slightly over 1500 miles in less than 24 hours. So 50% greater distance than a Saddle Sore 1000, but with the same time constraint.

My last attempt was March 14th, from Jacksonville Fl. back to Texas. I ended that ride with 1534 miles but unfortunately my time was 24:31, so no Gold level. I believe I would have made it but for 400 out of the last 500 miles was in rain and dense fog.

I’m afraid this Certified Iron Butt Ride has become my White Whale.

That is a lot of riding for <24 hours. Like pretty much on the road the entire time.

I just messed around on google maps, and I could do Katy > El Paso > Carlsbad, NM, and back to Katy, that would be 1507 miles, and estimated 22 hours and 21 minutes; that does not include traffic, stops for gas, stretch breaks and food.
1500 miles in 36 hours is more reasonable, as is the 1000 miles in 24 hours.

The Ride around Texas challange also looks very interesting.

Last edited:
1534 miles but unfortunately my time was 24:31
That it totally insane. And if you coulda stopped right at 1500 miles, you likely would have been under 24 hours. That detail would have driven me nuts.

Good luck, stay safe and alert.

When I was in DFW this was my IBA BBG ride route plan, clockwise from Dallas: http://t.ly/soLt

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 14.39.31.png

that does not include traffic, stops for gas, stretch breaks and food.
A SaddleSore is all about being able to sit in the saddle for 1,000+ miles.
A BBG is all about efficiency... Off the freeway, gas-up, pee if you have to, and go. Hydration and eating take place while you are under way. You don't have the luxury of time to stop and eat a meal or to have any stretch breaks off the bike. Stand on the pegs, twist your torso, shake the legs out... do whatever you need to do, but do it on the bike.

Oh come on Brian, ride down. With my projected timing I hope to be in Benson @19:45, y’alls time. That should give you time to get off work and really really haul *** to Love’s on 90 in Benson.

Brian is oh so right about staying on the bike, though with only 3 fuel stops required during clock time, I’ll probably spend some of the savings with a 20-30 minute break in Benson. But only if I’m close to my schedule. Then again, I may not make it that far. You just never know how these rides will play out.

My fuel legs are, 337, 308, 316, 235, and 327. Just have love auxiliary tanks.

Looks to be in Junction, with a final destination of Segovia. That's just 11 miles... His spotwalla track is really jumpy on his eastward trek, so perhaps he's actually already there?

Actually, looks like he started in Dripping Springs instead of Johnson City. So, Junction would be 1530 miles. I THINK HE'S DONE IT!!

That is a lot of riding for <24 hours. Like pretty much on the road the entire time.

I just messed around on google maps, and I could do Katy > El Paso > Carlsbad, NM, and back to Katy, that would be 1507 miles, and estimated 22 hours and 21 minutes; that does not include traffic, stops for gas, stretch breaks and food.
1500 miles in 36 hours is more reasonable, as is the 1000 miles in 24 hours.

The Ride around Texas challange also looks very interesting.
285 from Carlsbad to Fort Stockton is full of oil field service trucks. The New Mexico side of 285 is pothole city.

Oh right, I forgot he wasn't going back to his starting point. I was looking at it thinking he still had several hours to go.

I MADE IT ! I bagged my white whale.
I ended the ride in Junction, realizing I had enough miles. GPS miles was1526. My odometer showed 1586, a 3.7% overage. The scorers at the IBA like to see at least a 3% overage.

I pulled my finish receipt at 22 hours, 54 minutes and 38 seconds. My planned fuel stops and the number of stops changed drastically. Instead of 5 stops, I had 7. I faced a 25 to 40 mph headwind virtually the entire leg to Benson Az. The flat 6 on my wing can suck a lot of fuel when it believes it’s running between 100 and 115 mph for eleven hours. Turning for home I had sweet quartering tailwind most of the way. I did a lot of leaning, lol.

My pre- ride planning was spot on. My estimated times were within minutes of my projections. Until this morning when I left Fort Stockton, at about the 1350 mile mark the wheels started coming off. I think it’s about 200 miles from Stockton to Junction, no problem, been riding that and longer legs straight through. Not this morning, I hit the wall hard. I had to make 3 unplanned stops to try to shake the pain and fatigue away. Missed my projection by 34 minutes, I’m lucky it wasn’t more.

I MADE IT ! I bagged my white whale.
I ended the ride in Junction, realizing I had enough miles. GPS miles was1526. My odometer showed 1586, a 3.7% overage. The scorers at the IBA like to see at least a 3% overage.

I pulled my finish receipt at 22 hours, 54 minutes and 38 seconds. My planned fuel stops and the number of stops changed drastically. Instead of 5 stops, I had 7. I faced a 25 to 40 mph headwind virtually the entire leg to Benson Az. The flat 6 on my wing can suck a lot of fuel when it believes it’s running between 100 and 115 mph for eleven hours. Turning for home I had sweet quartering tailwind most of the way. I did a lot of leaning, lol.

My pre- ride planning was spot on. My estimated times were within minutes of my projections. Until this morning when I left Fort Stockton, at about the 1350 mile mark the wheels started coming off. I think it’s about 200 miles from Stockton to Junction, no problem, been riding that and longer legs straight through. Not this morning, I hit the wall hard. I had to make 3 unplanned stops to try to shake the pain and fatigue away. Missed my projection by 34 minutes, I’m lucky it wasn’t more.

Congrats brother!

Back