• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A week of low 40's

I saw it all but I cant help my self , I still look at every photo , Thanks Bryan . SEYA

:lol2: I am the same way... Then when I look at them it just makes me crazy wanting to get right back out there... :doh:

Things I learned during my summer vacation:
1. It is cold in August. Living in Texas all my life, I never knew this. But in the mountains of New Mexico the sun sets behind the peaks about 3:00 PM and it gets cool quick. By the time the sun comes up again it is almost freezing. I took way too many pairs of shorts and far too few warm clothes.
2. A 2 man tent is not big enough for one man. I had to fold myself in half to fit in that stupid thing.
3. It is no fun being in the middle of a thunderstorm. It is one thing to be safe in your house or car with a thunderstorm overhead, it is another to be in a tent up inside the storm. We were camping so high we were right in the middle of the thunderhead. I thought I was going to die!
4. Motorcycles that are set-up for the flat lands of Texas are ill prepared for mountains. Part failures included a lost tool tube, broken Ram mount and blown fork seal.
5. Camp food is good. David has quite a set-up for cooking. I ate a lot better on this camping trip than I ever have at home. Thanks Cagiva

Many of my pictures are similar to Bryan’s, so here are some others:

After about 8 miles of Jeep trails you find Goose Lake.

The BRP with the town of Red River in the valley below.

Like they say, no picture never happened. Well, here is the picture.

In the town with ski slopes in background.

Bryan with his oxygen mask (not really, but looks that way).

Fire on the mountain, lightning in the air...

The view from camp.

We made it to CO one day.

Thievin bastages everywhere.

Home for a week.

Steve

I sure could have used an oxygen mask, I was sucking wind a few times.

Here are some more of my pics as we descended to Valle Vidal....

redriver8-9-07001.jpg

redriver8-9-07005.jpg

redriver8-9-07006.jpg

redriver8-9-07010.jpg

redriver8-9-07014.jpg

redriver8-9-07018.jpg

redriver8-9-07019.jpg

redriver8-9-07020.jpg

redriver8-9-07021.jpg

redriver8-9-07022.jpg

redriver8-9-07023.jpg

redriver8-9-07024.jpg

redriver8-9-07025.jpg

redriver8-9-07026.jpg

redriver8-9-07030.jpg

redriver8-9-07034.jpg

Even got a pic at the border..
redriver8-9-07039.jpg

The next day we explored more trails around Red River.

redriver8-10-07001.jpg

redriver8-10-07002.jpg

redriver8-10-07004.jpg

Here is the trout pond I can remember fishing from when I was a kid.

redriver8-10-07005.jpg

Cagiva took us up a kick butt trail to Goose Lake, I was really sucking wind up here.

redriver8-10-07006.jpg

redriver8-10-07008.jpg

redriver8-10-07009.jpg

redriver8-10-07018.jpg

On Saturday we went to the National Trials Competition held at Sipipu ski resort, I gave my butt a rest and followed the guy's in the nice warm truck out to Sipipu.
Took the lift up to the top of the course.

sippapu003.jpg

sippapu008.jpg

sippapu009.jpg

sippapu011.jpg

sippapu016.jpg

Cody Webb:
sippapu018.jpg

th_sippapu019.jpg

and Pat Smage not quite making this one...
sippapu021.jpg

sippapu022.jpg

The rain came so we scurried back down the lift..

sippapu025.jpg

After the rain we took a look at some more of the course..

sippapu027.jpg

sippapu028.jpg

sippapu033.jpg

sippapu040.jpg

I had to take a pic for the Tundra boards..

sippapu053.jpg

After an awesome week of riding we had to think about heading back, I finally captured our old bud hummer on camera.

redriver003.jpg

redriver005.jpg

So we rode all week and no one got hurt :clap: here are some pics of the scene on the way back.

redriver006.jpg

redriver007.jpg

redriver008.jpg

Well that is all I have to post, I have a few video clips which I may compile into one long clip. Until next time......this one is for photojojo..:lol2:

redriver8-8-07003.jpg

I will post up Cagiva's pics tomorrow.

We gave Bryan a lot of grief about getting is head in the way in so many picts but he took some great vids and really great picts so I guess its ok . SEYA

The following pic are from Hardy Baker.....I know dialup has got to be killing you right now with these multiple pages of pics.

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

mmmmm blackened chicken...

IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

That is all of the pics, I will start working on the video clips sometime this week.

Man... I wanna go on a trip with Dave! :eat: :lol2:

Awesome! Looks like y'all really did this one up right:sun:

Was it really that tough at those elevations? How'd your bikes run?

The bikes ran a lot better than I did , I was huffing and puffing so bad when we set up camp I could barely give directions but we had to get it done , the mountain top was calling . A short ride to the top turned into a forty mile jaunt over the mountain , down some nasty loose rock downhills and into Red River for ice cream before returning to camp .
One morning before dawn I was struggling to breath so bad I had to get up and set in a chair . I guess my sinus were plugged enough I couldnt get enough air after taking a hay fever tab I was ok the rest of the week .
The 950 wanted to die a lot at idle at 11,000 and up . turning up the idle a bit helped , but it was still weak on the bottom end . The 450 was flawless and an absolute riot to ride there . The Goose Lake trail had terraces to control erosion , hundreds of them in the nine mile trip , I think I got air on most of them and doubled a few of them . One Quad rider commented they didnt like that trail , it was too rough . I loved it . I saw 50 + speeds several places on it . I hit a few corners a little faster than I would have liked . One down hill left hand into the mountain with nothing visable over the edge snuck up a little too quick , I leaned so hard I think I was dragging a knee if the traction wasn't there I think the bike would have gone over the edge , without me , I was about to bail and suck the ground . I couldn't believe how well that little bike rails the corners , and in a lot more control than I was . If I get a comfortable seat on the 450 it will see a lot of miles . Of all the bikes I have owned to date there are two that stand out , my 86 Husky 250 XC , supurb handeling and suspension although it suffered reliabilty issues after a couple of years . And this 450 EXC , with a comfy seat and a steering stabilizer its going to be hard to better . SEYA

You guys are really making me homesick for my vacation. Just thought you might want to see what the place looks like when it's not summer.
Sipapu07049.jpg

Sipapu07006.jpg

Sipapu07009.jpg

It's a small and friendly ski resort but it aint no bunny slope. The main green trail down the mountain would be rated blue at Angelfire. The lodging is really reasonable for a ski resort, I was originally planning on staying in Taos and driving to a ski resort during the day until I saw Sipapu's hotel rates listed on Orbitz.

Awesome! Looks like y'all really did this one up right:sun:

Was it really that tough at those elevations? How'd your bikes run?

I just read this post,:doh: Tim the KLR ran fine with no adjustments and all stock on the carb setup. It didn't have the normal um-mph and the idle was wacky but for 11,000 feet I was surprised that it ran as good as it did.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the pics. It looks like a great trip, and as a transplant to Texas it is nice to see pictures of home.

I knew there was a good reason we brought you along , Thanks , great vids , I am ready to go back .. Is there a helmet cam in your future ? It would look good on the storm trooper . SEYA

Wow ... that looks like my idea of a perfect trip. I spent about 5 minutes just looking and learning from the pictures of the camp setup. That looks downright comfie.

The trails look great too. Makes me start to itch for some trailies for me and the family ... and a trailer, and a big pickup ... man I'd like to be able to just rent a setup like that, or maybe find somebody doing "expeditions" that would provide the kit and a guide so I could "break in".

Awesome job with the pix too by the way - really good.

Dave.

dbdolan, great videos, makes me want to "run, don't walk" and go buy a Ventures CD.

The camp setup was all Cagiva549, he has the spread for camping for sure. I do need to get a helmet cam, maybe it will help with all that bouncing around. Glad y'all enjoyed the videos, I have the darnedest time trying to find music for them.

dbdolan, great videos, makes me want to "run, don't walk" and go buy a Ventures CD.

It is a jammin' tune.The version I used was a remake from Junior Brown, he can wail with that steel guitar.
The 2nd video I had Stevie Ray Vaughn and his version of little wing.
The 3rd video was the Allman Bros. Band and the song was Mountain Jam.

Well I finally figured out how to embed videos thanks to Tim and Tony.

Here they are:
Part one:

Part two:

Part three:

Dang! Next time y'all just need to stay at my place... so I can play hooky from work and go with ya! :trust:

I'm not so high in the mountains (only a bit over a mile high), but plenty of good ridin' here as well as nearby.

Back