• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Abandoned Gas Stations

DaveC

Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Carter
or as they were called back when gasoline was a nickel, filling stations.

So in Alexander I found that one of my first and favorites is still there. The last picture I took of it I used in my ADVrider avatar.
100_2679.jpg

Another favorite is this station, I am working on locating an original. I am betting it was a Sinclair Station. The dinosuar logo goes with the fossils and petrified wood that the entire structure is made from. Would love to save or resurect this building.
100_2680.jpg

Back in '07 my son and I stopped by this restored wooden station.
100_1331.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Abandon Gas Stations

Looks cool, Dave. I guess we can use this thread to post all the old filling stations we come by. Texas has a lot of abandoned buildings, should be interesting.

there is a cool one north of thorndale by the San Garriel north of Appache pass. I'm a Hippo too.

I've always thought an old retro gas station would be a cool place to live. Wife 'aint having 'nuttin to do with that thought though.....

Where is the petrified wood one located?

I find some of them fascinating, what I also like is when other uses are found for those old stations like the motorcycle museum outside on Route 66 OKC and an ice cream stand in a 50's era steel panel gas station in Minnesota. There is an old rock one in similar condition on Route 66 near the Round Barn in Arcadia, Oklahoma.

Waelder Texas, Gonzales County. My Grandmother lived her for almost a hundred years. This is an old car dealer next door to an abandoned gas station. I vaguely remember when these were active businesses.

3684228787_3bd5ff2a90_z.jpg

When I read the title of thread, I thought someone was commanding us to stop using gas stations. :rofl:

I've always thought an old retro gas station would be a cool place to live. Wife 'aint having 'nuttin to do with that thought though.....

Where is the petrified wood one located?

US281 as you enter Hamilton from the South. It well be on your left.:rider:

Great pictures so far. I am hoping that a lot more people jump on this thread.

US281 as you enter Hamilton from the South. It well be on your left.:rider:

I've looked at that station everytime I've passed it and thought it would be nice to know the history of it. I even stopped one time and took some pictures and looked around.
Actually, wouldn't it be nice to be able to save every building like this?

Great thread. I have some contributions I'll post later. Visiting and photographing these kinds of places is one of my favorite things to do on a motorcycle.

A pretend station but I thought it was cool although it no longer exists.

118_1815.jpg

Makes me wish I woulda taken a pic of one this Saturday that had $1.00 (or thereabouts) gas on the sign. Now I'm on a mission...

Not exactly a Gas Station, but an abandoned general store in East Texas:
get-photo.asp

Where Mobil Regular is still 37 cents a gallon:
get-photo.asp

The first, third and forth pictures are all in San Gabriel, which is just north of Thorndale. The second one is in Walburg.

Back