• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Abandoned Gas Stations

Very Cool Thread!!!!!

This photo shows a brand of fuel I haven't thought about in a very long time.....

Photo%5B161%5D.jpg

Immediately after seeing the sign, my mind thought "Super Boron".......

That is gorgeous. I think the answer is that the stations remaining have 16 pumps apiece and 50 combinations of fountain drinks.

This is a great thread. Can't say I can recall D-X gasoline, but that is really nice brickwork on that station. Where is it?

You know, what I don't understand is that there are more people and more vehicles on the road today, yet there seem to be fewer gas stations. What's up with that?
The Buccee's in NB has like 74 gas pumps!!! :eek2:

This is a great thread. Can't say I can recall D-X gasoline, but that is really nice brickwork on that station. Where is it?

You know, what I don't understand is that there are more people and more vehicles on the road today, yet there seem to be fewer gas stations. What's up with that?
We had several D-X stations in OKC, it was around until the mid-80's. The old station in the pic is the Seaba Station Motorcycle Museum on old Route 66 in Warwick, Oklahoma, northeast of OKC. The Triumph/Suzuki dealer in the OKC area bought it and restored it to have a place to show off some of his collection.

Saw this today on the way to Attwater Prairie Chicken Refuge.
They have installed new tanks and sell gas now....and my KLR fits right in!

Attachments

• StoreWS.jpg
    StoreWS.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 214
That's a building from a time when a craftsman took pride in his work, no matter how big or small and others were willing to pay for it.

DSC_0080.jpg

http://www.texasescapes.com/TexasHillCountryTowns/Izoro-Texas.htm

Originally, "Higgins Gap, named after a family of early settlers, was Izoro's original name. In 1886 when a post office was applied for, they submitted the name of a local woman, Izoro Gilliam. Our source* says she "undoubtably was an extraordinary person" but it's also possible that the postmaster was smitten."

http://www.texasescapes.com/ClayCoppedge/Izoro.htm

to Izoro Gilliam :chug:

was talking to a feller today at the barber shop, said he pumped gas at a full service station many moons ago

cost 15 cents a gallon, he had to ask where the gas cap was located often, said he met lots of nice folks

Nice picture. I ride past this old station frequently and noticed last week there is now a fence around it.

2-5.jpg

Restored station in Albany

Breckenridge5.jpg

One in need of restoration in Breckenridge

GonzalesMagnoliaGasStation.jpg

Another saved in Gonzalez

CypressMill3-1.jpg

Talpa

Cypress Mill

Shamrock.jpg

Shamrock

1-9.jpg

Shamrock again

HPIM1612.jpg

This one had just closed in Sheffield.

Talpa2.jpg

Nice picture. I ride past this old station frequently and noticed last week there is now a fence around it.

A friend of mine had kin in Izoro and Lometa. I drank many a Nehi on the front porch of that station.

A friend of mine had kin in Izoro and Lometa. I drank many a Nehi on the front porch of that station.

I love to come around that curve, see the Texaco sign, and think about what the station use to be, that the business was someones dream and aspiration, and simpler times. Its sad to see these stations closed, particularly ones I remember going to in the early 60's. I like to think they were everything their owners wanted them to be.

Does anyone know of a guide to abandoned or old gas or filling stations. There was one at the corner of 620 and 2222 in the early 60's Monroes Texaco, he had a coke machine that had returnable bottles that you put your dime in and they despensed on a slide system straight up. One night we were out riding our bicycles and opened the top on some drinks and used a straw to drink a few without paying, still feel bad about that,after 52 years. They were sure cold. He never put a lock on it and I never did it again.

Does anyone know of a guide to abandoned or old gas or filling stations. There was one at the corner of 620 and 2222 in the early 60's Monroes Texaco, he had a coke machine that had returnable bottles that you put your dime in and they despensed on a slide system straight up. One night we were out riding our bicycles and opened the top on some drinks and used a straw to drink a few without paying, still feel bad about that,after 52 years. They were sure cold. He never put a lock on it and I never did it again.

This is the abandon gas station thread, the confessional thread hasn't been started yet.:lol2:

I'm serious about the guide, how do you find them, I've stumbled on some on drves. I love to look at them.

Eight great pictures in one post. I wonder about the phantom station that has only the pumps remaining. The picture above is a great example of the Art Deco era. What is that station going to become?

It's now the chamber of commerce for Shamrock.

I was in Archer City Sunday and found these four stations on the Square around the courthouse.

ArcherCityTX7.jpg

ArcherCityTX6.jpg

ArcherCityTX2.jpg

ArcherCityTX.jpg

Today, its hard to see how these stations could all have been economically viable. Gas was cheap, people pumped the gas for you and there we a lot fewer cars on the road. How did they generate enough cash flow to support three or four employees?

The architecture is interesting, three out of four are just tacked on to the end of the last building at the corner of the square.

Today, its hard to see how these stations could all have been economically viable. Gas was cheap, people pumped the gas for you and there we a lot fewer cars on the road. How did they generate enough cash flow to support three or four employees?

Most made their money with a garage. Engine overhauls were frequent, tire life was poor and tune ups were a regular occurrence.

Gravel Guy and I were dualsporting west of Hamilton and found several long abandoned stations in the Center City-Pottsville area.
013-4.jpg
015-6.jpg
016-5.jpg
021-4.jpg

Nothing special about this little former gas station in Karnack -- other than we lived in the house behind it when I was 3-4 years old -- the house was white back then:
picture.php

Back