• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ada

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Ada, a Bull Mastif belonging to a friend of the wife. First time to try and do an animal portrait of sorts.

C&C welcome.
20110827-2425-XL.jpg

Dogs good, cats bad.:trust:
Framing is good and I like the soft light.
The bowling pin is distracting because it's white. And maybe a little fill on her right side.
Beauty dog.
TexTom

Cayenne and Snickers say WOOF!

Dog rule!

One thing that drives me crazy with dog collars is how the split ring makes the tags hang at a 90 degree angle - I might suggest you carry an S-hook with a 90* twist - swap the split ring out for that during the shoot. If there's a name tag along with the rabies tag have it facing forward and showing up front.

+1 on the bowling pin as a distraction. Nice sharpness on the dogs face.

Details.... lens, lighting technique, etc. ???

I would crop it to just the shoulders and head. Remove the out of focus back ground. It's a portrait after all.

Agreed, else make sure the position of the animal is flattering. Great face, ears and expression...not so great sitting position.

I love it too, but the bowling pin, the white stripe to the right of her head and the thing by her feet are very distracting. I think it nees some background. I like the old world look to the backgroung except for those two things.

Thanks for the input..... All good points.

My nits included:
1) The bowling pin sort of stands out, (but if you saw everything in the house, you'd understand the 'steampunk' motif)
2) I cut the bottom paw off a tad bit on composing
3) There's a few errant white hairs stuck to the end of that black nose
4) The actual image viewed as a .jpg is a lot sharper than what smugmug is showing here. Need to go figure that one out next.

Shot with natural light coming inside the house with it all diffused through a window about 60" square made out of those square thick glass blocks. No internal lights on/used.

EXIF as follows:
Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D700
Lens: 50.0 mm f/1.4
Focal Length: 50mm
Aperture: f/2.5
Exposure Time: 0.0080 s (1/125)
ISO equiv: 1250
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Center Weight
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No

A couple others from the afternoon include shots from the same location so either it's a bowling pin or some red and white thing again on the other side. Hey, I had the camera with me and this is what came out of it. :mrgreen:

i-dzq5bdM-L.jpg

i-p9q9BNB-L.jpg

i-RbFg3Bb-L.jpg

Ada's expressions in photo's 1 and 2 are awesome! I agree with cropping the bowling pin (from both pics), along with cropping pic 1 just to her shoulder. The look in her eyes on #3 is pretty special, too - great job, Scott - you can just "feel" the texture of her soft fur and those velvety ears!

Quite nice pics.............but when I saw the title of the thread I was thinking, "Who would be coming to Ada, Ok where I live and why?":doh:

Back