• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

"Adv" bike in real enduro!!

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
So... who was racing the CB500X at Boondockers? This was this past weekend in a TSCEC event. Best I can tell he dropped out after first test. But he tried!
122995111_2657963564517213_3094596331836259100_o.jpg

Me too, check the ground clearance or lack of!! Looks like he knows how to ride tho, pretty good form!

Note from a friend about the rider:

"The CX500 rider looks to be Don Hogan ex TSCEC Overall Champion, ISDE Racer and Math teacher."

I thought his style looked good!! Marty didn't think he'd raced in 10 years or so. Good for him.

Note from a friend about the rider:

"The CX500 rider looks to be Don Hogan ex TSCEC Overall Champion, ISDE Racer and Math teacher."

I thought his style looked good!! Marty didn't think he'd raced in 10 years or so. Good for him.
He probably did some quick statistical analysis and didn't like his chances :lol2:

123002339_2657992434514326_4925935398454986244_n.jpg

The photographer got to try one out last year! He looks to be moving pretty good here. Might be a nice bike to setup for light adv riding. I know many do already.

Might be a nice bike to setup for light adv riding.

I'd say more than light adv riding. It'll go more places easier than a GS or other Beluga Class bike. At least one CB500X with Rally Raid parts has made it through the Rubicon Trail... albeit very slowly. I think they're excellent and economic mid-weights but I'm a bit biased.

With the RR kit attached they have about 9.25" of ground clearance and about 7" of travel. I think the 2019 and later models have about an inch less than that stock. So a little short but that'll give a KLR a run for it's money.

Some Thai guys built one up into a full rally bike with a 21" front wheel and inverted forks but they said the handling was sketchy and hard to get right. I think their second attempt utilized a 19" front wheel.

Attachments

• cb500x Thai Rally bike.jpg
    cb500x Thai Rally bike.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 239
  • CB500XRR vs KLR650.png
    CB500XRR vs KLR650.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Don Hogan is an ex AA rider, who we once called the fastest math teacher in Texas, back when he raced regularly I don't know maybe 15 years now? I "raced" this past weekend at Boondockers, which was the first activity I did in three weeks due to laid up with covid (yes I am good now). I finished is all I can say. I can't confirm this was Don racing the big bike. If you have raced Boondockers, you know it is endless sand whoops, and this year with no rain in several months leading up to it, it was deeper and more loose than usual. Add in near-freezing fog and drizzle to dusty conditions and we were all covered in wet mud. Goggles were only good if you did not want to be able to see anything.

Out of all the TSCEC races to race a big bike at, Boondockers is right at the toughest just because of the sand. Not much tight and technical, but endless sand. This year there were two short uphill sections that were huge bottlenecks, I got around all of them in short order. Riders strewn everywhere.

Don Hogan is an ex AA rider, who we once called the fastest math teacher in Texas, back when he raced regularly I don't know maybe 15 years now? I "raced" this past weekend at Boondockers, which was the first activity I did in three weeks due to laid up with covid (yes I am good now). I finished is all I can say. I can't confirm this was Don racing the big bike. If you have raced Boondockers, you know it is endless sand whoops, and this year with no rain in several months leading up to it, it was deeper and more loose than usual. Add in near-freezing fog and drizzle to dusty conditions and we were all covered in wet mud. Goggles were only good if you did not want to be able to see anything.

Out of all the TSCEC races to race a big bike at, Boondockers is right at the toughest just because of the sand. Not much tight and technical, but endless sand. This year there were two short uphill sections that were huge bottlenecks, I got around all of them in short order. Riders strewn everywhere.
Marty Howell said it was him. I don't know him.

Last edited:
The funny thing is he was on the row behind me and I never saw him. I was too busy freezing my tail off I guess.
No goggles is a problem, lol. What was temp? Cold and drizzle would not be fun! Glad you're back from the covid ordeal. We had our round with it.

Rob,
It was one of those days where the start was the warmest temp of the day. I would guess right around freezing by the end of the race. I had no tear offs or roll offs, so I stopped and wiped my googles off every few minutes with paper towels I carried. The paper towels turned orange like the color of the dirt when I wiped the goggle lens. I tried to stay standing and pound through the whoops but I got tired much faster than usual. So I sat down and trail rode the whole way. At that point, I wasn't worried about tree branches or anything getting in my eyes, so I just rode with no goggles. It was only a problem when I got passed, but by that time the drizzle and fog helped with the dust some. My gear was soaking wet on the front side and not quite as wet on the back side. It was a fun race still but the bottle necks created by running all the classes up some of short straight up ledges was silly. The only reason I went was to spend time with my two grown kids, and we had a great time. They both had good rides, except they got caught up the first traffic jam, and the two minutes they lost there did them in.

I could tell on Facebook it was tough but nobody explained. Glad I had to work, lol.

That's what I was thinking. If it just wasn't for all that sand, it would be fun to ride :D
It's places like that I can't recommend enough to have a Christini. I took mine out to California to visit friends and played around Ocatillo Wells for a few days and hit Soccoro and Glamis on the way home. Never had an issue with sand. Stayed on top, stayed straight while others were digging trenches.

Rob,
It was one of those days where the start was the warmest temp of the day. I would guess right around freezing by the end of the race. I had no tear offs or roll offs, so I stopped and wiped my googles off every few minutes with paper towels I carried. The paper towels turned orange like the color of the dirt when I wiped the goggle lens. I tried to stay standing and pound through the whoops but I got tired much faster than usual. So I sat down and trail rode the whole way. At that point, I wasn't worried about tree branches or anything getting in my eyes, so I just rode with no goggles. It was only a problem when I got passed, but by that time the drizzle and fog helped with the dust some. My gear was soaking wet on the front side and not quite as wet on the back side. It was a fun race still but the bottle necks created by running all the classes up some of short straight up ledges was silly. The only reason I went was to spend time with my two grown kids, and we had a great time. They both had good rides, except they got caught up the first traffic jam, and the two minutes they lost there did them in.
Agreed, straight up ledges in sand especially where the C riders are in the mix is silly. They should know better after all these years.

Irish, don't know if you tried the Texas Extreme series that Otis started after STORM went away. I enjoyed them but they quickly got a wrap for being too hard and it too soon went away. Promoters have to find a way to appeal to all facets of riders. Might be more work to put in alternate lines but in the long run would be worth it.

Irish, don't know if you tried the Texas Extreme series that Otis started after STORM went away. I enjoyed them but they quickly got a wrap for being too hard and it too soon went away. Promoters have to find a way to appeal to all facets of riders. Might be more work to put in alternate lines but in the long run would be worth it.
Yep. I rode a couple of those. I didn't find them too hard but his property choices were pretty bad IMO. The one north of Jasper had lots of potential but then he quit. Acquiring permission to use land here in TX is apparently very difficult.

Yep. I rode a couple of those. I didn't find them too hard but his property choices were pretty bad IMO. The one north of Jasper had lots of potential but then he quit. Acquiring permission to use land here in TX is apparently very difficult.
I liked that property by Jasper. Belonged to a racers family.

Back