• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ADV/ Dual sport Helmet?

Wich helmet are you guys running? I like the arai xd4 but it is a bit costly.....the bell mx-9 is looking like a decent helmet for the price. Any thoughts or feedback?

mitchntx

Follower of Rev. Doug
Forum Supporter
I have a Bell MX-9 Adventure with MIPS.

It is great! A lot louder than the Shoei GT-Air I also own.

Wich helmet are you guys running? I like the arai xd4 but it is a bit costly.....the bell mx-9 is looking like a decent helmet for the price. Any thoughts or feedback?
I too am looking for a new dual sport helmet. Been looking and looking for the last week or two. Can't pull the trigger.... they are ether right price and not enough stuff or wrong price and all the right stuff.
Anyone know anything of the 509 helmet?

South Tex

Forum Supporter
I got the bell mx-9 and like it a lot. Not very much wind buffering with the visor even at 75mph. It fits snug, I normally wear a large but had to get a xl to be comfortable.

My next pick would be the scorpion at-950 modular. Haven’t heard a lot of reviews but I like the idea

Jarrett

Forum Supporter
I need a new helmet.

What are the pros/cons of going ADV versus modular versus standard full face?

I'm not off road as much as I'd like to be.

South Tex

Forum Supporter
I walked in to my local gas station with my full face on and the lil cashier asked if I was going to rob her. Modular may have been less stressful for her. Also it’s easier to talk to each other at stop signs.

The at-950 gives you the visor which can be removed and modular but still the adventure style for chin room. Plus it’s kinda in my price range

Jarrett

Forum Supporter
Yeah, that's why I was thinking modular as well. I feel like it freaks people out when I walk into the store with the full face helmet on.

In Arkansas, there were few pay at the pump options, so it required going into the store quite a bit. Felt weird with helmet on, but **** to take it off for that 5 second interaction.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
XD4. Worth every penny.
:tab I am on my second XD-4. While I love the fit and light weight, there are a few things about it I do not like.

:tab The visor bill on my vibrates pretty bad when I am sitting on my GS. If I stand in clean air, it is better. I have even tried sticking wheel weights on the underside right at the front where it is thinnest. No joy. This has been the case with both helmets. If the material were just a bit stiffer, that would probably fix it. To be fair, not everyone has this issue apparently.

:tab I get a NASTY whistle on the helmet somewhere around where the bill meets the helmet shell. Adjusting the bill does nothing. If I turn my head at an awkward angle it will stop. Even though I wear ear plugs, it is still very annoying at any speeds over about 35-40 mph. Looking online, it would appear that some folks get this and some don't. It does not matter which bike I ride, standing or sitting.

:tab I wish the visor could be changed with less effort, more like a Shoei. It is a pain having to disassemble the bill mounts to change or clean the visor. Also, the visor does not clear well in rain, even when I get in the wind flow and turn my head to the sides. I am not sure what is up with that. All of my Shoei's cleared really well. It does not fog, it is just the spray on the outside of the visor that is a problem. It is bad enough that I try to avoid riding in rain if at all possible.

:tab The helmet does vent pretty well when it is in the air flow. Sitting behind a big screen, it is going to get warm. That is the case with most helmets though. When it is venting, it is not that loud, but I wear ear plugs so my view on that may be skewed. I have a SENA 20S installed with the speakers mounted in the helmet. I have to keep it at full volume if I am at highway speeds, but it works okay up to around 75mph. On back roads and dirt roads, it works fine. There are pads with the 20S that let you adjust the distance between the speaker face and your ears. The 20S clips to the side of the helmet and I am using the boom mic that bends around underside of the helmet and has the mic right in front of my mouth.

:tab I've used the helmet in temps in the mid to high 20s F and also in the 105-110 F range. When the vents are closed, there is still a good bit of wind up the neck/chin area and on the back of the neck, but not really any worse than any other helmet I've used. For the cold, my solution is a Klim Balaclava that goes down inside my jacket and I can pull the opening up over my nose leaving only my eyes exposed, I can leave my eyes/nose exposed, or the whole face. This makes a HUGE difference in comfort. In the heat, if I am on my GS, I either have to stand or occasionally lean out from behind the big windscreen to get some air through the helmet. On my KTM, I get plenty of air through the helmet.

:tab I have crash tested the XD-4. I had a nasty high side on some ice in Utah while riding my KTM 530 EXC. After a bit of flying, I landed on my head. The helmet had scratches across the top from one side to the other and some chips in the paint. It took me a few minutes to catch my breath, but otherwise I was fine. My neck and shoulders were sore, but I did not experience any concussion related symptoms beyond a mild headache that went away after a few advil. We were in the middle of no where, without any cell service, and I had to ride it out. I was able to do so without any issues. I have not tested it on pavement... I'll let someone else do that ;-)

:tab I think if I were in the market right now, I might try a different helmet, perhaps a Shoei. It is not that the XD-4 isn't a good helmet, but just that I'd like to try something else just to see. I might end up going back to it later.

At the back of the pack and out of the dust
The idea behind an ADV helmet is to have an opening big enough to wear goggles under the visor. The beak also allows for a little more room if you are trying to get a water tube into your mouth, etc. A poorly designed ADV helmet (like my old Joe Rocket) will have wind lift from the visor and a keel effect that makes the helmet turn on your head. The XD4 series does not have that problem. As far as features go, they all generally add weight, and it's a matter of personal choice how heavy a helmet you want to wear for long trips. There is one feature that is on my must-have list and that is a removable lining. The inner foam lining goes bad long before the shell and impact foam. Being able to wash or replace a sweaty foam lining will extend the life of the helmet and make it nicer to wear. I keep two linings for my XD4 so I can change them out.

Check out Tourmeister's photos of his XD4. It's been through some rough times.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Yeah, I forgot about the liner thing. That is a nice feature.

I don't have issue with the wind catching the bill unless I am running pretty fast and I really turn my head in a manner that I know will catch the wind. Otherwise, it is a non-issue.

The vent covers on the top rear are a bit fragile. I bumped the helmet when it was hanging on a passenger foot peg and it broke one of the covers. It is not a big deal, but those vent levers just feel a bit flimsy. I rarely close them so it hasn't been a problem.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
The guy at cycle gear in SA did not recommend it. He said the pairing isn’t that great and the speakers are low quality
No surprise there given that the SENA 20S communicators run about $250 just for one. So whatever is in that helmet must be a cheap version to keep the price of that helmet so low.

copb8

Forum Supporter
I just did 1600 miles with my new AT950 helmet. There are definitely pros and cons with this helmet. Mostly pros.

I bought the XXL that fit very well except for the cheeks, which were very tight with the lid closed. This is a very common complaint about the helmet. I ordered XXXL cheek pads and that improved the comfort.

Next was the issue with my Sena slim speakers. Even though there are speaker pockets they just weren't deep enough for me. After my initial shake down ride of 100 miles my ears were KILLING me. No amount of adjusting or finagling fixed this issue. Id decided to give earbuds a try even though I'd always avoided them in the past due to the perceived hassle. Well they worked GREAT. Way better sound and noise reduction than any helmet I've had the Sena speakers in in the last 8+ years. I may upgrade the earbuds but I'm definitely sticking with them.

Finally the visor. I took it off. I found it too short to offer any shade at any angle and it created a light buffeting of the shell of the helmet that would blur my vision through the clear shield and tinted shield. The helmet is provided with decorative covers when the visor is off so it doesn't look unfinished. Never missed the visor the entire trip.

Overall I'd give the helmet a 7 based on it's value. If you want a modular ADV helmet there aren't many choices and this one is fine.

Last edited:

Ocho

Forum Supporter
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=827sTrKSEWA"]Best Adventure & Dual Sport Helmets of 2018 - YouTube[/ame]

Good info.

:confused: ok so does anyone know anything of the 509 helmet? :rofl:
I'm between the AT-950 and the 509. I like the way the 509 visor pops off for goggles

Last edited:
+1 for the XD-4. Cool in summer, warm in winter.

After some of the crashes I've had, I would never trust a modular helmet. Screw the people in the gas station, They will get over you wearing a helmet much faster than you getting over a missing jawbone.

GLFlyer

Forum Supporter
I'm used to sport touring, and have always raved about my Shoei Neotec. However... Having just purchased a Super Tenere and starting to dive into the ADV world... I researched ADV helmets for a few weeks, and finally decided on the XD4.

That said... I'm also fairly cheap, so I didn't want to pay full price for one.

I ended up getting a barely used one on eBay for $300.

44370444055_c449980d0a_n.jpg

It's everything I thought it would be. I just road tested it on a 6 hour ride on the S10 this past week and it performed wonderfully. I had no buffeting and I didn't feel the peak drag at all. It is very lightweight as well, and it vents significantly better than my Shoei Neotec.

I also used FortNine's review... but it was the one from a few years ago.

I was going to go with the MX9, but when I found an XD4 for essentially the same price... I jumped on it.

Last edited:
I have this one. An LS2. It has a switch on the side to pull down a sun visor, which is great for me since I wear glasses. Also has a quick release chin strap. I've been quite happy with it. I like the Arai XD4, but don't ride enough to justify the extra $$. I even wore it snowmobiling last year and the tinted visor worked great against the white snow. 6C92A3C0-0414-4D37-BB35-7174AE94F92C.jpg

1C0ED74E-3752-45DF-979B-4F082BD3F4EF.jpg

bwdmax

Forum Supporter
XD4: I have an Arai shaped head other brands just don't fit as well for me. I wish they made it in the longer oval that my Signet street helmet is. I get the occasional whistle when I turn my head back to check a rider behind me, but other than that no complaints.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
:tab I used to wear Shoei street helmets. They would press right against the center of my forehead. Everywhere else they fit perfect. When they were new, I would get a kitchen soup spoon and slightly compress the foam right at the spot where it pressed to tight. It did not take much, maybe 1/16" of compression, if that. Problem solved. The area affected was maybe 1-1/4" diameter. Once that was done, they were all super comfy.

At the back of the pack and out of the dust
I have the Arai shaped head too. I had a Shoei, but never could get it to fit correctly. That is the other advantage with removable interior padding, an owner can mix and match until they get the right fit. The only catch with that is finding a store that will let you try different setups. Man, I miss Lone Star.

m

Well got the helmet in .... Way too tight! Got it as per the size chart, Med... I need one size bigger.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Monica

Forum Supporter
Caught this thread a bit ago, in the new dual sport helmet market too. Biggest issue I had was finding helmets in stock to try on. I watched so many reviews on youtube and read articles online. I giddily splurged on the Frost White XD4 just now from Kent Powersports up the road...merry christmas to me :party: Won't get here until the 8th cause apparently they are hardly any in Texas and its coming from PA. They didn't have any XD4s in stock so I tried on other Arai helmets with the gear guy and he thought the small size left too much of my forehead gapped so he ordered an XS. I measured my coconut when I got home and it was just under 22" (55.75 cm) which is an Arai Small. Called him back, and he double checked it but felt that the XS would fit better after having seen a small Arai helmet on my head. So, ok, we'll go from here.

Anyways, hopefully soon will leave my impressions here. I tried on the HJC DS-X1 yesterday, it didn't fit terrible. But I think I got mesmerized by the XD4.

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter
I’m not
+1 for the XD-4. Cool in summer, warm in winter.

After some of the crashes I've had, I would never trust a modular helmet. Screw the people in the gas station, They will get over you wearing a helmet much faster than you getting over a missing jawbone.

While I’m not arguing with you.
And, in fact, don’t like modular helmets either— in a Stripes once I was told to remove my helmet or remove myself from the store. I removed myself and will never darken their door again.

StromXTc

Forum Supporter
Well got the helmet in .... Way too tight! Got it as per the size chart, Med... I need one size bigger.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Have said this will be my next one. Seems to check all the boxes. Would definitely have to be at a brick and mortar store to find the right fit. Have a scorpion summer jacket. I think they make quality stuff.
AT-950

sco_16_hel_exo_at_950_neo-hi_viz.jpg

Gina, your mighty suspicious.

Last edited:
Would definitely have to be at a brick and mortar store to find the right fit. .
Gotta agree with this. The 5% more you are going to pay is probably well worth the peace of mind. Fortunately I live within 10 miles of about 6000 new helmets (35 @ 635) and had the fine folks at Moto Liberty fix me right up.

Monica, my XD4 seemed a little small when I first got it. I had to peel a thin layer out of the cheek pads. Now it fits like a second skin. Love it.

OK I can finally give a good ride report on the Scorpion AT-950. Had the pie run today of 1hr and 40 mins one way, so 3 + hours in it today.
Pros are...... 1. It's very quiet (as Adv/Dual sport helmets go). I wear ear buds for music and I had a Fly Trekker, before the Scorpion, and once at speed wind noise was so bad I couldn't hear the music. With the scorpion I listened the total time.
2. The fit is a Pro and a Con.... once you get it dialed in, its a nice snug fit, didnt raise up or flop to the side when you look around at speed.
3. Nice big eye opening. will fit goggles just fine. 4. It was cold today, started out at 37, and it didnt "leak" in large amounts of cold air (if that makes sense)
Cons...... 1. The visor! It's thin and starts a bad wind vibration at about 40mph, and I do mean bad. I will be taking mine off.
2. As said above the fit. I used the size chart , 7 1/4 should be a M. It fit like a small, so I sent it back and got a Large. The top of my head fits nice, nice and snug. My jaws are a bit to tight, so I'll be ordering the small cheek pads.
All-in-all a good buy for the $$.

Baja_Bound

Forum Supporter
Cons...... 1. The visor! It's thin and starts a bad wind vibration at about 40mph, and I do mean bad. I will be taking mine off.
2. As said above the fit. I used the size chart , 7 1/4 should be a M. It fit like a small, so I sent it back and got a Large. The top of my head fits nice, nice and snug. My jaws are a bit to tight, so I'll be ordering the small cheek pads.
I wore my Scorpion AT-950 for the first time today. I agree that the visor causes much vibration and 'jerks' the head around. I will be taking mine off as well.

I usually wear size large in helmets but purchased the extra large after trying it on at the store. I agree that the cheek pads were little tight and became uncomfortable with the visor vibration. I was unaware you could order smaller cheek pads but will look into it. I guess my wife was right when she said I had a 'big mouth'! :-D

This is my first modular helmet so I am not too sure what to expect, but I think the price is right for trying one out.

Last edited:

misterk

Forum Supporter
I wore my Scorpion AT-950 for the first time today. I agree that the visor causes much vibration and 'jerks' the head around. I will be taking mine off as well.

I usually wear size large in helmets but purchased the extra large after trying it on at the store. I agree that the cheek pads were little tight and became uncomfortable with the visor vibration. I was unaware you could order smaller cheek pads but will look into it. I guess my wife was right when she said I had a 'big mouth'! :-D

This is my first modular helmet so I am not too sure what to expect, but I think the price is right for trying one out.
I love mine also. I took visor off, much better. Replaced shield with tinted version. You can get it on amazon.

I think you can buy replacement pads to go from large to medium or medium to small. I don’t think you can go x large to large.

If I get back into riding this year (lets hope!) I would like a new helmet. I am still using a Fly Trekker. It's about 4 years old now. I wear an XXL and it's getting loose so I think the padding is wearing out or something. I do like it though. I got the Hi-Viz as I like bright helmets. It has some scratches because like a dolt I tried to hang it from a footpeg one day and it made the very short drop to our gravel driveway. But it hasn't been in any crashes to test it.

Only picture I have of it. I still have the riding gear, but the bike is long gone haha.

XmSXO6m.jpg

StromXTc

Forum Supporter
I love mine also. I took visor off, much better. Replaced shield with tinted version. You can get it on amazon.

I think you can buy replacement pads to go from large to medium or medium to small. I don’t think you can go x large to large.
Hmmm...will have to keep this in mind. If its shipped and sold by Amazon that means free returns.

Monica

Forum Supporter
Arai XD4 Frost White (XS)

Initial list of Pros/Cons on a short <1hr city street/FM road ride around:

Pros:
- Flows a lot of air
- Customizable comfort liner and cheek pads

Cons:
- Chinstrap pad is ineffective, D-rings/strap rubs, needs bigger piece
- Peaks wind >45mph

I ordered an Arai XD4 in XS Frost White and it came in last week. I up-sized the cheek pads and comfort liner for a more snug fit. Overall I'm in love with the helmet and think the paint job is sexy. I went out for a short spin today to see how it felt (and try out my new HDB switches and BD headlight). First thing, the helmet has vents everywhere front of the chin, inside the chin, along the chin, eye brows, forehead, back of the head...it's crazy. When I didn't have everything closed I got cold. I'm still learning which way the vents click ...ie, I read the booklet when I got home :lol2: At speed about 40-45mph the helmet was pretty steady. If I turned my head or looked up a little too much I felt the peak catch wind like a sail. I suppose that's the nature of it though. I tried to keep my head down a little. I didn't hear much wind noise while cruising. My ears are actually covered by the cheek padding. I heard a faint whistling sound >50mph but didn't bother me enough to look for or address. The clear visor has a pretty pronounced shape. I do see some distortion in my vision to the right and left of center through the visor. It dances on the edge of bothering my depth perception at close distance <10' like walking around the house or garage. But on the road and in traffic I didn't notice it hamper my sight or control. Waiting to see if it's noticeable in offroad. I was able to put on sunglasses comfortably. They were snug fit but no sore spots or hurty places and the glasses do not move around. Last thing but felt it the whole time, the chin strap dug into my neck/chin. The little protective strap of comfy foam is woefully inadequate for coverage to keep the Drings off my skin. I had a bit of a welt when I took it off. My previous helmet had a better strap padded thingy. For as advanced and thoughtful as the features are on this helmet is, I'm kinda surprised this one slipped by. The entire rest of the helmet is pretty darn comfy.

Well, that's all for immediate thoughts on a cold late afternoon 1hr <55mph street ride around. Looking forward to spring and summer riding to see how that goes.

Attachments