• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ADV/ Dual sport Helmet?

I have this one. An LS2. It has a switch on the side to pull down a sun visor, which is great for me since I wear glasses. Also has a quick release chin strap. I've been quite happy with it. I like the Arai XD4, but don't ride enough to justify the extra $$. I even wore it snowmobiling last year and the tinted visor worked great against the white snow. 6C92A3C0-0414-4D37-BB35-7174AE94F92C.jpg

1C0ED74E-3752-45DF-979B-4F082BD3F4EF.jpg

XD4: I have an Arai shaped head other brands just don't fit as well for me. I wish they made it in the longer oval that my Signet street helmet is. I get the occasional whistle when I turn my head back to check a rider behind me, but other than that no complaints.

I wouldn't get anything until I had tried it on. I found that Scorpion works for my more oval head shape.

:tab I used to wear Shoei street helmets. They would press right against the center of my forehead. Everywhere else they fit perfect. When they were new, I would get a kitchen soup spoon and slightly compress the foam right at the spot where it pressed to tight. It did not take much, maybe 1/16" of compression, if that. Problem solved. The area affected was maybe 1-1/4" diameter. Once that was done, they were all super comfy.

I have the Arai shaped head too. I had a Shoei, but never could get it to fit correctly. That is the other advantage with removable interior padding, an owner can mix and match until they get the right fit. The only catch with that is finding a store that will let you try different setups. Man, I miss Lone Star.

m

Well I pulled the trigger on a Scorpion AT-950 last night so I would have it here in time for Roll the Bones. :rider:

Well got the helmet in .... Way too tight! Got it as per the size chart, Med... I need one size bigger.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Caught this thread a bit ago, in the new dual sport helmet market too. Biggest issue I had was finding helmets in stock to try on. I watched so many reviews on youtube and read articles online. I giddily splurged on the Frost White XD4 just now from Kent Powersports up the road...merry christmas to me :party: Won't get here until the 8th cause apparently they are hardly any in Texas and its coming from PA. They didn't have any XD4s in stock so I tried on other Arai helmets with the gear guy and he thought the small size left too much of my forehead gapped so he ordered an XS. I measured my coconut when I got home and it was just under 22" (55.75 cm) which is an Arai Small. Called him back, and he double checked it but felt that the XS would fit better after having seen a small Arai helmet on my head. So, ok, we'll go from here.

Anyways, hopefully soon will leave my impressions here. I tried on the HJC DS-X1 yesterday, it didn't fit terrible. But I think I got mesmerized by the XD4.

I’m not
+1 for the XD-4. Cool in summer, warm in winter.

After some of the crashes I've had, I would never trust a modular helmet. Screw the people in the gas station, They will get over you wearing a helmet much faster than you getting over a missing jawbone.

While I’m not arguing with you.
And, in fact, don’t like modular helmets either— in a Stripes once I was told to remove my helmet or remove myself from the store. I removed myself and will never darken their door again.

Well got the helmet in .... Way too tight! Got it as per the size chart, Med... I need one size bigger.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Have said this will be my next one. Seems to check all the boxes. Would definitely have to be at a brick and mortar store to find the right fit. Have a scorpion summer jacket. I think they make quality stuff.
AT-950

sco_16_hel_exo_at_950_neo-hi_viz.jpg

Gina, your mighty suspicious.

Last edited:
Would definitely have to be at a brick and mortar store to find the right fit. .

Gotta agree with this. The 5% more you are going to pay is probably well worth the peace of mind. Fortunately I live within 10 miles of about 6000 new helmets (35 @ 635) and had the fine folks at Moto Liberty fix me right up.

Monica, my XD4 seemed a little small when I first got it. I had to peel a thin layer out of the cheek pads. Now it fits like a second skin. Love it.

OK I can finally give a good ride report on the Scorpion AT-950. Had the pie run today of 1hr and 40 mins one way, so 3 + hours in it today.
Pros are...... 1. It's very quiet (as Adv/Dual sport helmets go). I wear ear buds for music and I had a Fly Trekker, before the Scorpion, and once at speed wind noise was so bad I couldn't hear the music. With the scorpion I listened the total time.
2. The fit is a Pro and a Con.... once you get it dialed in, its a nice snug fit, didnt raise up or flop to the side when you look around at speed.
3. Nice big eye opening. will fit goggles just fine. 4. It was cold today, started out at 37, and it didnt "leak" in large amounts of cold air (if that makes sense)
Cons...... 1. The visor! It's thin and starts a bad wind vibration at about 40mph, and I do mean bad. I will be taking mine off.
2. As said above the fit. I used the size chart , 7 1/4 should be a M. It fit like a small, so I sent it back and got a Large. The top of my head fits nice, nice and snug. My jaws are a bit to tight, so I'll be ordering the small cheek pads.
All-in-all a good buy for the $$.

The visor...understandable considering that it's a virtual windsail on top.

Cons...... 1. The visor! It's thin and starts a bad wind vibration at about 40mph, and I do mean bad. I will be taking mine off.
2. As said above the fit. I used the size chart , 7 1/4 should be a M. It fit like a small, so I sent it back and got a Large. The top of my head fits nice, nice and snug. My jaws are a bit to tight, so I'll be ordering the small cheek pads.

I wore my Scorpion AT-950 for the first time today. I agree that the visor causes much vibration and 'jerks' the head around. I will be taking mine off as well.

I usually wear size large in helmets but purchased the extra large after trying it on at the store. I agree that the cheek pads were little tight and became uncomfortable with the visor vibration. I was unaware you could order smaller cheek pads but will look into it. I guess my wife was right when she said I had a 'big mouth'! :-D

This is my first modular helmet so I am not too sure what to expect, but I think the price is right for trying one out.

Last edited:
Took my visor off after first ride. Didn't offer any shade anyway

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I wore my Scorpion AT-950 for the first time today. I agree that the visor causes much vibration and 'jerks' the head around. I will be taking mine off as well.

I usually wear size large in helmets but purchased the extra large after trying it on at the store. I agree that the cheek pads were little tight and became uncomfortable with the visor vibration. I was unaware you could order smaller cheek pads but will look into it. I guess my wife was right when she said I had a 'big mouth'! :-D

This is my first modular helmet so I am not too sure what to expect, but I think the price is right for trying one out.

I love mine also. I took visor off, much better. Replaced shield with tinted version. You can get it on amazon.

I think you can buy replacement pads to go from large to medium or medium to small. I don’t think you can go x large to large.

If I get back into riding this year (lets hope!) I would like a new helmet. I am still using a Fly Trekker. It's about 4 years old now. I wear an XXL and it's getting loose so I think the padding is wearing out or something. I do like it though. I got the Hi-Viz as I like bright helmets. It has some scratches because like a dolt I tried to hang it from a footpeg one day and it made the very short drop to our gravel driveway. But it hasn't been in any crashes to test it.

Only picture I have of it. I still have the riding gear, but the bike is long gone haha.

XmSXO6m.jpg

I did remove the visor and the helmet did very well. No vibration and felt fine.

I love mine also. I took visor off, much better. Replaced shield with tinted version. You can get it on amazon.

I think you can buy replacement pads to go from large to medium or medium to small. I don’t think you can go x large to large.
Hmmm...will have to keep this in mind. If its shipped and sold by Amazon that means free returns.

Arai XD4 Frost White (XS)

Initial list of Pros/Cons on a short <1hr city street/FM road ride around:

Pros:
- Flows a lot of air
- Customizable comfort liner and cheek pads

Cons:
- Chinstrap pad is ineffective, D-rings/strap rubs, needs bigger piece
- Peaks wind >45mph

I ordered an Arai XD4 in XS Frost White and it came in last week. I up-sized the cheek pads and comfort liner for a more snug fit. Overall I'm in love with the helmet and think the paint job is sexy. I went out for a short spin today to see how it felt (and try out my new HDB switches and BD headlight). First thing, the helmet has vents everywhere front of the chin, inside the chin, along the chin, eye brows, forehead, back of the head...it's crazy. When I didn't have everything closed I got cold. I'm still learning which way the vents click ...ie, I read the booklet when I got home :lol2: At speed about 40-45mph the helmet was pretty steady. If I turned my head or looked up a little too much I felt the peak catch wind like a sail. I suppose that's the nature of it though. I tried to keep my head down a little. I didn't hear much wind noise while cruising. My ears are actually covered by the cheek padding. I heard a faint whistling sound >50mph but didn't bother me enough to look for or address. The clear visor has a pretty pronounced shape. I do see some distortion in my vision to the right and left of center through the visor. It dances on the edge of bothering my depth perception at close distance <10' like walking around the house or garage. But on the road and in traffic I didn't notice it hamper my sight or control. Waiting to see if it's noticeable in offroad. I was able to put on sunglasses comfortably. They were snug fit but no sore spots or hurty places and the glasses do not move around. Last thing but felt it the whole time, the chin strap dug into my neck/chin. The little protective strap of comfy foam is woefully inadequate for coverage to keep the Drings off my skin. I had a bit of a welt when I took it off. My previous helmet had a better strap padded thingy. For as advanced and thoughtful as the features are on this helmet is, I'm kinda surprised this one slipped by. The entire rest of the helmet is pretty darn comfy.

Well, that's all for immediate thoughts on a cold late afternoon 1hr <55mph street ride around. Looking forward to spring and summer riding to see how that goes.

Attachments

• new1.jpg
    new1.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 307
  • new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 358
  • new3.jpg
    new3.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 358
  • new4.jpg
    new4.jpg