• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ADV/ Dual sport Helmet?

I really want to be able to wear the Schuberth E1 with my R1200GS but unfortunately I just can't wear Schuberths AT ALL. I've never pulled on a more claustrophobic brand of helmets - something about everything being shrink wrapped around my face ...

I'm a Shoei guy and currently wear an RF 1200 - love it. The Neotec 2 might work for me except it weighs over 4 pounds (vs 3.5 pounds for the RF). Kind of surprised Shoei doesn't do an adventure model of the Neotec2 like Schubert did with their C4 / E1.

Summary - I'm still looking ...

Dave

Seems like there a lot more helmet brands out there these days. Each new issue of moto mags show some new brand that I didn't know about before. Looks like pretty much all of them carry the right safety certifications... doubt they'd last too long without it in this kind of market. Lot of my riding chums stick to the big two brands like they always have... hey,"nobody ever got fired for buying IBM." But - there are some good helmets out there that don't have the Arai or Shoei sticker on them. If it fits my head, is certified safe, has nice features like removable liner - EMT quick removal and strap connector that doesn't involve a double D ring... what the heck?

If there is a better modular dual sport adventure helmet...for the price....than Scorpions EXO AT-950

I can’t find it.Smokin helmet with the possible exception of noise for $270...

Non-issue as I always wear earplugs.

I refuse to wear anything but a modular...spitting,drinking and talking with a face expression....priceless.

Revisiting for some Arai XD4 notes....

Out for a spin today, really loving how the helmet is fitting

65* sunny, chilly w a slight breeze

FIT: To recap, went up to the 10mm liner and to the 35mm cheek pads in the XS shell and the helmet is feeling great. My head/face feel secure but not constricted. The peak catches wind over 40-45mph, that's going to be a given. My neck got a little tired towards the end of the ride so something to be cognizant about if you're doing a lot of road riding. But it shouldn't be an issue <45mph offroad. I'm going to take the peak off and ride street without and see what that feels like too.

AIRFLOW: I wore a Buff today to keep my hair whispies under control in the helmet and my ponytail protected out back. It did a nice job and not too thick either. The helmet is venting really well (chilly for me in this weather, and I had chin vents open) but I'm looking forward to it during summer riding.

NOISE: Didn't notice any detrimental noise or annoying whistling today. Again speeds were up <55mph and winds were ~11-14mph depending on the location. I did not wear earplugs for this ride. I did around the house. Fit fine and no weird pain or pressure.

VISION: Still getting use to some distortion in the visor on either side of center. IDK if my eyeballs need a checkup but it's noticeable on <10' vision range. Otherwise at riding speed the view is just fine.

My lid's also an xd4, in day-glo. rider w/ white helmet is also an xd4, but he chooses to go w/o the visor. I may try that visor delete for ADV / street riding

20180902-160550.jpg

I like my XD-4 with the visor except that my visor whistles like crazy. I have to hold my head just right to keep it from doing it. Even with ear plugs it is quite loud. This is my second XD-4 and both of them have done it. Also, the visor vibrates pretty bad because it is so thin. I had to glue a trip of wheel weights under the front edge to dampen the vibrations. Sometimes it was bad enough to blur my vision! It is not as bad if I stand up and get into clean air. But it happens on both my 1200 GS and on my KTM 530 (which has no screen). The helmet is very comfy though. I just wish the screen came off easier and without having to take it apart :doh:

So how much value do these big visors really provide? I ask because I had to remove mine from the new AT950 helmet I bought because it vibrated to the point of distorting my vision and pulled on my neck at higher speeds. After removing it I couldn't tell a thing that I'd lost. It really didn't provide shade as it was either too short, too high or mounted too far back.

Are some better than others at providing some value?

In early morning or in the evening when the sun gets low, I do use it to block the sun so I can see. During the day, it may cut down on glare a bit, but I am usually wearing sunglasses inside the helmet anyway. I don't use a dark visor screen because I don't like having it on there when it gets dark and swapping for a clear one is a major pain.

Problem with my Arai XD4 is that I have to have it somewhat open otherwise my glasses will fog rapidly. Haven't messed with the vents to figure out the right wind/cold protection to not foggy ratio.

So how much value do these big visors really provide?

Like a dirtbike helmet....The ADV helmet has a large face opening, designed for max. air cooling, and be wide enough so that you can wear goggles under the shield.

Because the opening is large, when riding under direct sunlight, the rays can burn your face.
So, the visor blocks the rays, keeps your cheeks, nose & face cool.

The peak offers a little bit of shade. Of course it'll depend on the angle the sun is hitting you. Offroad it is suppose to help deflect branches, leaves and overhangy things.

I pulled the peak off last night for the next rides to see how it goes. Also ordered a helmet sun blocker. It's a tinted strip that goes at the top of the visor, like on a car windshield. I had one on on my previous helmet and liked it. It's the equivalent to putting up your hand to shade your eyes on a sunny day when you're trying to look at something. Sticks on with soap and water.

My visor fogs in the cold too if it isn't open, Ocho. And like you I haven't messed with the venting to get it adjusted. I just try not to breathe when I stop :lol:

Ok, out for a ride tonight, helmet sans peak = I like it better. Less wind resistance =less neck fatigue. I'll keep it off unless I run into the reason I want it back on.

NOISE:
I noticed a slight whistle when I turned my head all the way right, but it was not present turned left. No whistle looking straight ahead. I was going about 30mph.

VISOR:
Fogged a little so I was careful not to breathe hard, cracked the visor at a stop. Still working on the vent combinations. I did realize the chin bar has both an inner and outer sliding vent in front of the mouth. With both those closed, and the whisker vents close, and the chin curtain extended, it offered decent wind blockage so my neck/face wasn't freezing, but it didn't eliminate it all. Still had some air moving through. Probably a face wrap to solve all that completely.

Hope that helps someone.

Umm no thanks for now. Still recovering from changing the liner and cheek pads lol I'll keep holding my breath, I'm starting to get better at not passing out

Actually the thing that worked well keeping fog down on my previous helmet was a generous cleaning of the visor with Dawn dish soap and warm water before every ride. I have only cleaned this visor once and I don't think I have all the residual fine oils off the surface yet. Do the same thing in my truck, works pretty well until I hit the beach and sea air finds its way inside. Then I gotta do it all over again.

I went with an AFX - -41 for a little while and it was cheap but I found out in a hurry I do not like the field of view and the amount of noise is just stupid. I went back to a full enclosed helmet, even if I am going to be riding in some potentially off-road like situations. It is far better for noise and dust control in my book. Just my $.02 though.

If I had not scratched up the fx-41 I would offer it to you at a decent price, but the lens got wrecked about the third time I wore it, lol. Worse case scenario you could test it out and see what you like or dislike about them. I might just need to buy a new lens for it first because I rode with it on a couple weekends ago just to do the italian tune-up on the DR and I realized I couldn't see squat out of it once it got dark.

I rarely see these mentioned anywhere, so I figured I'd throw this out there. By far the most expensive helmet, I have ever owned, but I LOVE it. Kick myself for not spending a little more sooner.
(my opinions) It's comfortable, quiet, light, and has the clearest visors I have ever seen on a helmet(no distrotion).
https://www.nexxnorthamerica.com/collections/adventure

I rarely see these mentioned anywhere, so I figured I'd throw this out there. By far the most expensive helmet, I have ever owned, but I LOVE it. Kick myself for not spending a little more sooner.
(my opinions) It's comfortable, quiet, light, and has the clearest visors I have ever seen on a helmet(no distrotion).
https://www.nexxnorthamerica.com/collections/adventure

So what is the story on the communicator ready feature?

So what is the story on the communicator ready feature?

It has the hole and all the recesses/routing for their bluetooth communication module. It looks like a cheaper sena smh10 will fit, but I went ahead and ordered the Nexx brand one to hopefully avoid any issues. The module should be here tomorrow.
With the bluetooth module, the price comes in at about 900 total, but worth it given how much trouble I have finding a helmet that fits. I must have tried on a hundred helmet before deciding to spend the money. Glad I did.
Did I mention air flow? Until now, I thought I was supposed to stick my head in an oven.

I'll gladly show it off at the next Pie Run as I rarely find products that I wasn't to rave about.

Last edited:
I walked in to my local gas station with my full face on and the lil cashier asked if I was going to rob her. Modular may have been less stressful for her. Also it’s easier to talk to each other at stop signs.

The at-950 gives you the visor which can be removed and modular but still the adventure style for chin room. Plus it’s kinda in my price range

I've run the AT-950 for a couple of years now, highly recommend. Lots of wind noise though.

I'm a fan of Nolan modular. Run a bit snug, fair to good airflow, quiet and not heavy, love the interior drop down sunscreen. I've tried others in the mid-price range and like these the best. I don't need the visor but like modular. Full-face may be a bit stronger if you want to street test them like Tourmeister, but the flip up of a modular is fantastic if you wear glasses or want to chat with the locals. Regardless, don't buy cheap if you like your brain.

I have the Nexx helmet listed above and I love everything about it. Paint, FOV, drop down visor, noise level, everything... except the chin strap. Unfortunately, where it lines up with my jaw starts to make my jaw sore at the contact points after an hour or 2 riding. If the helmet came down a little lower on my face, I don’t think it would be an issue.

After trying one on, I ordered a Klim KRIOS Pro. Thanks to their 30% military discount it wasn’t completely overpriced. I’m excited about some of the new features in it, and I can’t wait to get home from Fort Leonard Wood and take it for a ride.

Back