• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ADV/ Dual sport Helmet?

I wear a Leatt offload helmet and use sunglasses when its not dusty. If it gets dusty I'll put on a pair off goggles. An offload helmet with goggles is still cooler than the drop down face shield, and with a pair of sunglasses even more. I do own a Shuberth helmet with the drop down shield that is super quiet and also SUPER hot. Suffice to say you can pick your poison. I like and want an aggressively vented helmet. The Leatt is that.

Woo, that's an expensive one for me. However I do know the difference. I tried on a shoei that was 699 at cycle gear which felt like it was custom built for my mellon.
I should have my $300 scorpion Tucson At950 delivered here in a couple days...its gonna be Rad!
View attachment 238055
šŸ˜¤Expensive helmet, Now I'm going to have to start locking it on the bike when parking at walmart
Brian - I just bought that style to replace an older, banged up Scorpion AT950. I predict that you will like it.

Brian - I just bought that style to replace an older, banged up Scorpion AT950. I predict that you will like it.
Yea, had it since last summer. Like everything , 257290

but is a little noisy in cross winds and had to remove the brim. Just didn't work out so I removed the brim.

Do not overlook the Klim Krios Pro, it is very light and comfortable and probably the best venting, As an added bonus it can be run without the visor as a street helmet and comes with a Transitions shield..

I have the older one but the new ones have the KOROYD material and the venting is far superior..

Oh forgot about this thread...reminded me of this weekend. My front air vents failed on my XD4. I couldn't figure out why my head was getting no airflow. I had @SpiritAtBay check my vents, well, she found the little tension rockers failed, they wouldn't stay open. I borrowed some Gorilla Tape from @JT for the fix...

And on the Big Bend trip in Feb my brow vent broke... :thumbd:

For a fairly young $800 helmet, these little failures shouldn't happen

Last edited:
I have an EXO-AT950 and I enjoy it. My only complaint is the buffeting I get in a seated position but that is the bike not the helmet. If I stand up or duck it's like butter even with the peak. And that peak is God send heading sunrise/sunset time. Just need to sort out my windscreen now.....

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I have an EXO-AT950 and I enjoy it. My only complaint is the buffeting I get in a seated position but that is the bike not the helmet. If I stand up or duck it's like butter even with the peak. And that peak is God send heading sunrise/sunset time. Just need to sort out my windscreen now.....

move got a knockoff MRA Xscreen I got from eBay that works like a champ for managing airflow over your windscreen.

Same as above, I would bet the xscreen solves all your problems.

For a fairly young $800 helmet, these little failures shouldn't happen

I am on my second XD-4. I've not yet had any vents break on me, but that is actually a surprise as they do look and feel pretty weak. I only paid $500 for both of mine. Still, that is a lot of money and I think it has more to do with the name than actual superior quality in some areas of the design. Both of my XDs have been terrible about whistling really loud. My kids complain about it because they hear it over the intercom when they ride with me. It has something to do with the duck bill. If I hold my head just right, meaning an uncomfortable and awkward position, then it stops :doh:

move got a knockoff MRA Xscreen I got from eBay that works like a champ for managing airflow over your windscreen.
Well, got a knockoff from Amazon and took it out for a maiden voyage today. Hit ~60mph and it flipped backwards. Got on it even more and pieces started falling off. Pulled over, took it off and binned it. Just going to find an improved windscreen.

Well, got a knockoff from Amazon and took it out for a maiden voyage today. Hit ~60mph and it flipped backwards. Got on it even more and pieces started falling off. Pulled over, took it off and binned it. Just going to find an improved windscreen.

thatā€™s disappointing. My wife and I have had ours on for 2 years and probably close to 20k miles between us with no issues. Which one did you buy?

I am on my second XD-4. I've not yet had any vents break on me, but that is actually a surprise as they do look and feel pretty weak. I only paid $500 for both of mine. Still, that is a lot of money and I think it has more to do with the name than actual superior quality in some areas of the design. Both of my XDs have been terrible about whistling really loud. My kids complain about it because they hear it over the intercom when they ride with me. It has something to do with the duck bill. If I hold my head just right, meaning an uncomfortable and awkward position, then it stops :doh:
I removed my peak pretty early on after a couple rides to decrease wind catch. I had heard about people getting whistling. Mine doesn't whistle but it's got wind noise on one of the hinge covers when I look straight, I think it is the left one. If I slightly turn my head, it goes away.

I've used Arai helmets before but never the XD-4. Just purchased the XD-4 and I feel like I've been missing one H=LL of a helmet. Most comfortable helmet Ive ever worn. Much better wind control as compared to my Leatt moto helmet. It is expensive but a fantastic helmet.

FWIW, I consider Dual Sport as a riding style with a bias of mostly singletrack with a secondary emphasis on roads (paved and unpaved) that are ridden to connect singletrack sections. For that sort of riding a regular dirt helmet with a visor and use of goggles has been my choice.

For Adventure riding on paved and unpaved roads (including forest roads, jeep traces, etc.), and rarely (if ever) riding singletrack, the helmet currently in use is the HJC i90 modular. It is amazingly quiet, easy to use, includes a removable chin dam to further reduce noise. (note: I did have to trim some foam for a comfy fit)

If what I think of as "Adventure" riding is what some consider "Dual Sport" then a helmet like this might be another one to consider.

The other helmets that offer a dirt helmet (w/visor, fits goggles) that includes road helmet qualities (flip up shield, integrated sun shield) might be a compromise, but may not be right if you never use goggles and predominantly ride roads (paved and unpaved).

If a quiet helmet is a quality desired these may not meet that spec as well.

On occasions where I know I'll be spending a lot of time riding an ADV bike in the dust on unpaved roads, such as the ET rides, I've worn the dirt helmet and goggles to keep the dust out of my eyes.

Last edited:
I'm 100% with you on the XD-4 but have one word of caution. I bought one earlier this year and wore it on they NMBDR trip. The shape of those helmets are quite rounded and the head opening seems smaller when compared to comparable helmets. Once mine is on my head it feels wonderful however it was very tight, read painful, when going over my ears going on and coming off. And no, I don't have weird dumbo-ears. I now stretch the living h=ll out of it using the D-rings and use a my fingers to make sure it doesn't 'fold' my ears going in. It helps but is still tighter than any other helmet I've purchased.

Make sure you really try it on.

I'm 100% with you on the XD-4 but have one word of caution. I bought one earlier this year and wore it on they NMBDR trip. The shape of those helmets are quite rounded and the head opening seems smaller when compared to comparable helmets. Once mine is on my head it feels wonderful however it was very tight, read painful, when going over my ears going on and coming off. And no, I don't have weird dumbo-ears. I now stretch the living h=ll out of it using the D-rings and use a my fingers to make sure it doesn't 'fold' my ears going in. It helps but is still tighter than any other helmet I've purchased.

Make sure you really try it on.
It gets smaller in the cold weather šŸ¤­
On the Big Bend trip this February my helmet was hard to put on, I left it out in the truck where it got down in the 40s that night. The next morning gearing up I even commented to Gina my helmet was tighter and I had trouble getting it on. I attributed it to the cold shrinking it. After it warmed up, it was fine.
I'm sure I broke the eye vent that morning.

I look like a little alien w this Arai, it's got the smallest adult shell but I use the thicker sides and head pad so it snugs up correctly (I have a small coconut). I can get it on my head with one hand wearing a buff and earbuds and everything stay in place. But that morning in BB, the opening was narrow.

I experienced the whistling of the XD-4 too. I got it to stop though I can't remember how. I think I fiddled with the tension of the mounts that hold the peak on. The peak always worked really good for me both as a true peak and as a sunshade if I kept it down about as far as it would go. I'd have to try to look almost straight up to get it to catch air. I wore that helmet almost daily for 5 1/2 years before deciding to head the expiration date. It was really comfortable for the first few hours but after a whole day I got a little pressure spot on my forehead. It was never bad enough to make me want to press foam in a little so I just lived with it. If it started to annoy me that was my queue to stop and take a break.

I've been riding in a Klim MX helmet since I trashed the XD-4 and it's pretty great but wanted a shield again so I ordered the Scorpion AT950. Hopefully it'll be pretty decent. I've always wanted modular helmet on long stretches of highway.... But after reading this thread and others while looking for new coms I think I might have ordered a size to small. :doh:

Which leads me to my question, for those with the Scorpion AT950 what coms work well with it? I'd like to fit the Cardo Packtalk Slim to it eventually. My old Sena disappeared somewhere between Keene and Alvarado a while back. Inspection revealed a small crack in the mount that prevented it from staying secured. I like the Cardo Slim because it looks like it spreads the weight around and looks like it could be tied off to the helmet with a short bit of fishing line to prevent total loss if it did come loose.

I experienced the whistling of the XD-4 too. I got it to stop though I can't remember how. I think I fiddled with the tension of the mounts that hold the peak on. The peak always worked really good for me both as a true peak and as a sunshade if I kept it down about as far as it would go. I'd have to try to look almost straight up to get it to catch air. I wore that helmet almost daily for 5 1/2 years before deciding to head the expiration date. It was really comfortable for the first few hours but after a whole day I got a little pressure spot on my forehead. It was never bad enough to make me want to press foam in a little so I just lived with it. If it started to annoy me that was my queue to stop and take a break.

I've been riding in a Klim MX helmet since I trashed the XD-4 and it's pretty great but wanted a shield again so I ordered the Scorpion AT950. Hopefully it'll be pretty decent. I've always wanted modular helmet on long stretches of highway.... But after reading this thread and others while looking for new coms I think I might have ordered a size to small. :doh:

Which leads me to my question, for those with the Scorpion AT950 what coms work well with it? I'd like to fit the Cardo Packtalk Slim to it eventually. My old Sena disappeared somewhere between Keene and Alvarado a while back. Inspection revealed a small crack in the mount that prevented it from staying secured. I like the Cardo Slim because it looks like it spreads the weight around and looks like it could be tied off to the helmet with a short bit of fishing line to prevent total loss if it did come loose.
Packtalk Slim will not fit the AT950.

I have been using the Bilt helmets for a while. The wife and I have the modular with Sena SMH10 added and works fine. My last helmet with the offroad version with built in sena bluetooth. My hearing is not real great as I wear hearing aids but the helmet works good and I have no issues with the Sena. He sound is plenty for me. Never need to turn it up too loud. I do not wear the hearing aids while wearing the helmet. A friend bought the modular version with built in Sena and is happy with the helmet.

Packtalk Slim will not fit the AT950.

Are you speaking from personal experience? Can you explain why? I suppose the Cardo Bold or Freecom series will work fine?

Last edited:
Are you speaking from personal experience? Can you explain why? I suppose the Cardo Bold or Freecom series will work fine?
Yes, I ordered the slim originally. The back is too thick for the module. Myself and a buddy use the bold on that helmet fine.

Back