• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ADV Gravel Riders - What Tires?

My thinking, get more wear from rear and make it work. More aggresive tire on front for dirt!

Well this was my thinking too, before hitting a big mud section on single track alone! I think I'll go aggressive and sacrifice wear versus chance of being stranded. I got out, but it took, lots of luck, some strength, and a little skill! Just no bite in the rear at all, and trying not to lose the front too, which would have been a disaster alone!

What are we observing there?
Pictures don't show? Just some single track and lack of traction in a soft spot! lol Tires actually worked well everywhere else. I didn't get into the really deep sand, but mud is a no go, period for these tires.

Last edited:
Pictures don't show? Just some single track and lack of traction in a soft spot! lol Tires actually worked well everywhere else. I didn't get into the really deep sand, but mud is a no go, period for these tires.
Ok...didn't know if you were testing a tire and giving an example or what.....

Takes a good rider to get that bike through that spot with those tires. Respect.

Got the Trailmax Mission rear installed. Anyone know what dirt pressure to run these at?

1591895375537.png

Got the Trailmax Mission rear installed. Anyone know what dirt pressure to run these at?

View attachment 265950

Got mine installed yesterday as well (@Cuznbob's excellent service as always). I go 30 psi front/rear lowest on all my tires on the GSA. This was per Shawn Thomas' suggestion when I took the 1 day BMW offroad training class. I suppose you can go lower on the lighter Tiger. I also read these have a stiff sidewall so may prove to handle lower psi better.

Regarding the tires, I could definitely feel a difference on the short stint of pavement I did yesterday, but maybe it was just the rounded profile of new tires vs my old squared ones. Felt stickier as well. Will try on dirt next Monday. I hear you can feel the lugs when leaning over, I believe I felt something but I know I don't lean much. Perhaps @Jarrett resident Motogp will confirm.

I'm going to take it to the dirt today. I've still got an Anakee Wild on the front and the Trailmax on the rear.

I guess I'll start at 35/35 and see how it goes.

I run all my tires on any big bike at 32 front and 32 to 40 rear depending if I'm 2up or loaded with camping gear. I never air down, I'm to lazy to air them back up and don't like taking a chance dinging a wheel on a heavy bike.

I run all my tires on any big bike at 32 front and 32 to 40 rear depending if I'm 2up or loaded with camping gear. I never air down, I'm to lazy to air them back up and don't like taking a chance dinging a wheel on a heavy bike.
Reading on line some said do what the manufacture recommends.
This guy with a gs was one of the reasons I bought mine. He indicates the recommended pressures but does not say where he got them .
B503B0F2-2B5B-4F0C-96A7-3C9DB79741EB.png

Reading on line some said do what the manufacture recommends.
This guy with a gs was one of the reasons I bought mine. He indicates the recommended pressures but does not say where he got them .

Yeah, running the recommended tire pressure on pavement is fine. I do keep mine at 36/42 (recommended) when I'm doing mostly pavement, higher if 2up.

For dirt it should be fine to lower pressures to accomodate more tire flex. I've known some to run 25 PSI on their GS tires. 30 seems like a safe bet, 32 even better (which is what I usually run on dirt). 42 is maniac when running profile like the Dunlops and doing mostly dirt.

I saw that too. I can't find any that info elsewhere.

I tried calling Dunlop and got voicemail.

I did call them the other day about track pressures for my Q3+'s, but the support feller said they could only recommend what's on the side of the tire. Which I think is 41 for the Trailmax and 42 for the Q3+.

I saw that too. I can't find any that info elsewhere.

I tried calling Dunlop and got voicemail.

I did call them the other day about track pressures for my Q3+'s, but the support feller said they could only recommend what's on the side of the tire. Which I think is 41 for the Trailmax and 42 for the Q3+.
On my Tenere being a lot of tourque on a heavy bike I’m paranoid about bending a rim, or slipping the bead with low pressures. Also side walls heat up quickly with lower tire pressure. On cars/trucks with bias tires With low pressure is a good way to ruin Them real quick. Since I tend to start or end my rides with an hour long highway ride at 70mph I’m not wanting to heat those side walls up. Hence my only airing them down a few psi and just run them there all the time.

On my Tenere being a lot of tourque on a heavy bike I’m paranoid about bending a rim, or slipping the bead with low pressures. Also side walls heat up quickly with lower tire pressure. On cars/trucks with bias tires With low pressure is a good way to ruin Them real quick. Since I tend to start or end my rides with an hour long highway ride at 70mph I’m not wanting to heat those side walls up. Hence my only airing them down a few psi and just run them there all the time.
I think about that, but I rode like two miles on a completely flat rear tire on the Tiger 900 the other day with no ill effects. Rim fine.

I was riding and went around a corner semi hot and the traction control kicked in and I thought, "Hmm, I wasn't pushing it hard enough for traction control... Guess I didn't see some gravel."

Then I stopped at the stop sign and took off, again the traction control came on. Then I start figuring it out. I bounced up and down on the seat and it felt extra springy and I'm familiar with that feeling from past flats. So I went for a bit and found a shady spot to pull over and plug it. But at no time did I feel like the bike was out of control.

These ADV tires have some really stiff sidewalls.

I think about that, but I rode like two miles on a completely flat rear tire on the Tiger 900 the other day with no ill effects. Rim fine.

I was riding and went around a corner semi hot and the traction control kicked in and I thought, "Hmm, I wasn't pushing it hard enough for traction control... Guess I didn't see some gravel."

Then I stopped at the stop sign and took off, again the traction control came on. Then I start figuring it out. I bounced up and down on the seat and it felt extra springy and I'm familiar with that feeling from past flats. So I went for a bit and found a shady spot to pull over and plug it. But at no time did I feel like the bike was out of control.

These ADV tires have some really stiff sidewalls.
The rear trail max is with out a doubt the hardest tire Iv ever mounted. Stiff sidewall is a serious under statement

My trail max came in, I will mount it when I get back from Idaho.

I leave August 5th for the black hills and Sturgis! I will try it out on the dirt in the black hills. This is usually a 3000 mile trip so I will get a good feel for durability by middle of August.

Back