• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ADV Gravel Riders - What Tires?

95 plus feels weird? Gee wiz. Hold on and ride it or end up in the hospital and beta test how corona feels...

what y'all talking bout pot for? Everyone knows I'm from Colorado. But hey, I smoked 267 pounds of it riding motorsickes when a youngster 14-45 and can no longer afford it or need it :-) Need some new hair though :-)

I took the KTM out Saturday to cruise some access roads searching for new fishing spots. The Bridgestone Battlax adventurecross AX41 continues to prove itself a great tire. It's loud on the highway, but grips good. Triple digit sprints feel just fine. However, off road is where it shines. I got into mud and deep sand on Saturday. The bike tracked right thru both without a slip or slide. I was alone and having second thoughts as I didn't wanna pick the beast up in 100 degree heat!
IMG_20200704_140444__01.jpg

IMG_20200704_140536.jpg

I have NEVER gotten anywhere close to the miles you claim to get. I see other folks with the same claims, so I don't doubt you. I just have NO CLUE how you do it. My experience on two VFR 800s, was about 5-6K on a rear, 8-9K on a front for street tires. When I changed to an 02 1150 GS, 05 1200 GS, 07 1200 GS and now my 17 1200 GS, the experience has been the same. For the tires like Anakees, Tourances, etc,... that are more street oriented, I get mileage about like I got on the VFRs. When I switch to tires like the TKC 80, Shinko 805, or now the E07, I am lucky to get 2.5-3K miles at best if I baby them. I get about 5-6K out of a front. I generally run these tires at 32-36 psi front and 38-42psi on the rear. I don't go 100 mph everywhere I go and I rarely travel with lots of luggage. I usually cruise at 75mph in a 70 zone, even when on back roads. At best I might have one of my kids and my top case.

Now I am not one of those people that will run a tire bald, especially the more dirt oriented tires. When the tires get down to the wear bars, I usually change them at the first opportunity. Maybe that last bit beyond the wear bars lasts forever? :shrug:

Same. I'm normally in the cords around 7-8k miles on a 705 or Tourance (Tourances seemed to always last a bit longer) on the GSA. I get about the same mileage out of a front TKC 80. I tend to assume the high mileage tires are going out of state or at least staying away from hot chip seal. Hot chip seal doesn't seem to like tires.... That's my theory anyway.

Sometimes it just doesn't matter what tires you have though....

Attachments

• 1150 napping.png
    1150 napping.png
    980.1 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

Thanks for sharing that. Jarret has caused me to take a long hard look at those and an especially longer look at the rear tire. I may have to give them a go at somepoint.

I snagged a pretty deeply discounted set of Shinko 804/805 tires for the CB so those will be going on next. Hmmm... now that I have a new 805 I should start measuring tread depths....

That got me curious and I had to rush outside to measure things becuase I know I've been seeing more wear the last couple of weeks. I attribute this to getting used to this particular bike and tire combination more than anything else.

This has seen a pretty decent mix of dirt and pavement but probably more miles of pavement than dirt for obvious reasons.

The new tire measured .475" at the center of the tread.

The tire on the bike measured .332" at a little over 1000 miles.

On a bike as light as the CB I figure I should be able to squeeze at least 5000 miles out of each of these rear tires. Hopefully a little more. I'd be really happy to see 6000 miles.
da923bc1b5121f4da046fb2fdd5f5741.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

from ADV PULSE TEST...This is impressive! This tester is a hard-core rider too
Dunlop-Trailmax-mission-adventure-tire-review-7.jpg

The front Tailmax Mission started with 6mm of tread when new (left). After 4,300 miles (right), it had 3.7mm of tread left.

View attachment 273635
The front Tailmax Mission started with 6mm of tread when new (left). After 4,300 miles (right), it had 3.7mm of tread left.
Of course there's little wear where the steps are. It's not in the center! I've never worn much off of a tire that far over.

I guess they are a little far off center but it still looks like he's got a decent amount worn there and they haven't dulled much so they should keep doing their job (if they're really doing much). There's not as much as in the dead center but I've seen worse.

Attachments

• Dunlop-Trailmax-mission-adventure-tire-review-7.jpg
    Dunlop-Trailmax-mission-adventure-tire-review-7.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 186
View attachment 273635
Interesting it says the front Is 3.7 and the pic is clearly the rear unless it a two wheel drive bike Nd has a chain dr on the front.
Iv got just over 5 k on mine and I doubt I’ll make it to 7k. That’s still twice what I got on the shinko 705 and the battlwings were toast at 5k.
That being said I’ll be going with another set. Iv never got the mileage out of tires others do. Not sure what cut that deep slice in the tread 3,000 miles ago on a dirt road in Colorado but I’m pretty sure my 705s would not have survived what ever it was.

Last edited:
Just had a new, full set of Dunlop Trailmax Missions installed on my Tiger 900 Friday. I did 300 miles on them yesterday. Mostly pavement, but some gravel roads as well.

Out of all the ADV tires I've tried, these have become my favorite. They just work well on pavement and basic dirt. Really good match for my Tiger 900 Rally Pro.

I was worried coming from the Anakee Wild in the front to the Trailmax Mission that it would be less planted off pavement, but after yesterday I didn't find that to be the case. I'm sure if I got into some deep gravel or sand, that I'd start to feel the difference, but in basic dirt and gravel, they seem perfectly fine to me. And then really nice on the pavement for an ADV tire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had a new, full set of Dunlop Trailmax Missions installed on my Tiger 900 Friday. I did 300 miles on them yesterday. Mostly pavement, but some gravel roads as well.

Out of all the ADV tires I've tried, these have become my favorite. They just work well on pavement and basic dirt. Really good match for my Tiger 900 Rally Pro.

I was worried coming from the Anakee Wild in the front to the Trailmax Mission that it would be less planted off pavement, but after yesterday I didn't find that to be the case. I'm sure if I got into some deep gravel or sand, that I'd start to feel the difference, but in basic dirt and gravel, they seem perfectly fine to me. And then really nice on the pavement for an ADV tire.
I've been liking the rear I have. I just put the front on but very little miles on it so far. They work well and they're both reasonably priced and made in the US. Both wins in my book.

You’re so, I found a bike and tires that I love these days. Where is the old Jarrett that I thought I knew? [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back