• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ADV Gravel Riders - What Tires?

Tailmax Mission tires. You guys that have tried still happy? Getting ready to buy a set of something. Wet weather riding is here for a few months and the 80/20 tires aren't going to cut it. I've got 7000 miles on them, really surprised how good they still look but, they HATE mud.
I have the Trailmax with the center bar on my 1090. 3k miles and there’s still plenty of tread and grip. Have ridden everything except a pouring rain. I am concerned about getting down to the bar and riding in the wet on basically a slick while there’s still plenty of tread on the sides.

E4163E69-AC1E-4174-B3F3-DE3DFE7172F0.jpeg

54625745-1CAF-4668-8DD2-01AF51A81F30.jpeg

Now that you mention it, those look like Shinko 804/805s.

If it’s the stock tire on the T7, I believe it’s a Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR. Shorter knobs than some but should work well in that environment. They also work better than they should on the street IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that str tire is a match made in heaven for my local
5-6 hr 80/20 loop,
80% =hill country twisties +20% dirt like this stuff here
I'd like to ride that loop with you sometime, if possible.

Or at least get the GPX.

The Trail Mission and TKC 80 are both pretty expensive tires, that said I'm sure the TM will get quite a bit more milage for me. Probably the best choice even the It'll give up some true dirt performance to the 80 tire I would imagine. Got to order something soon!

The Trail Mission and TKC 80 are both pretty expensive tires, that said I'm sure the TM will get quite a bit more milage for me. Probably the best choice even the It'll give up some true dirt performance to the 80 tire I would imagine. Got to order something soon!
Use a TKC80 front paired with a Trailmax or other less aggressive rear tire. Makes the front end stick, but keeps the rear from melting away in 2000 miles. You'll probably the up replacing them at the same time.

Use a TKC80 front paired with a Trailmax or other less aggressive rear tire. Makes the front end stick, but keeps the rear from melting away in 2000 miles. You'll probably the up replacing them at the same time.
Excellent idea!

Excellent idea!
I have almost to 7000 miles on my Motoz GPS rear tire and just over 7000 on my TKC80 front. The front went on 250 miles before the rear. They'll probably go for 8000 miles before I consider them with enough to replace, others might go a little longer. I did turn the TKC80 when it started wearing into ramps and it's been performing fine backwards. I already have the same tires in the garage again waiting for the current ones to die.

As a side note about the TKC80 front, it's the only 21" front knobby I've found with a T speed rating (118mph). Just so happens to match my rear tire's rating and my bike's capability. That's for the tubeless version, the tube type is rated a little lower.

I have almost to 7000 miles on my Motoz GPS rear tire and just over 7000 on my TKC80 front. The front went on 250 miles before the rear. They'll probably go for 8000 miles before I consider them with enough to replace, others might go a little longer. I did turn the TKC80 when it started wearing into ramps and it's been performing fine backwards. I already have the same tires in the garage again waiting for the current ones to die.

As a side note about the TKC80 front, it's the only 21" front knobby I've found with a T speed rating (118mph). Just so happens to match my rear tire's rating and my bike's capability. That's for the tubeless version, the tube type is rated a little lower.
Im doing a similar setup with MotoZ Adventure up front and GPS rear..

On the front, have you ran other fronts and if so, how do they compare to the TKC80?

I really like the MotoZ Adventure off road and especially in loose stuff, it's not as great on the street though. Would like something a bit better for street but still very good off road and thinking the TCK might be worth looking at.

Im doing a similar setup with MotoZ Adventure up front and GPS rear..

On the front, have you ran other fronts and if so, how do they compare to the TKC80?

I really like the MotoZ Adventure off road and especially in loose stuff, it's not as great on the street though. Would like something a bit better for street but still very good off road and thinking the TCK might be worth looking at.
I haven't run anything else on the Twin, but I've used several IRC TR8s on my DRs. I wouldn't use it in a big bike. Slightly more aggressive than a TKC80, mostly wider knob spacing. Never have been able to find a speed rating on it.

The TKC80 has excellent road manners and dues fine off pavement. I'm sure there's better off road options if you find yourself in nasty stuff regularly. I think the TKC80 is an excellent match to big adventure bikes though.

I ran a TKC front and Mitas E07 Dakar rear on my Tiger 955i. Loved it. Now that E07s are available again may run that on my now tubeless again bikes.

The Michelin Anakee Wild front is the more street friendly version of the TKC80, in my experience.

Correction, probably Shinko 804 front. I don’t like the TKC 80 21” knobbies. They cup quick unlike the big blocks on Shinko and Kenda 21”. My 804/805 on the F850GSA are at 2100ish miles and rear is still good.

How the heck are you getting 7k out of a front TKC80 ?

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

I'm about to order a 21" Dunlop Trialmax Mission for the DR.
I never jump on the buzz of a new tire but I feel like I need to try this one. Until I do I won't stop thinking about it.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Correction, probably Shinko 804 front. I don’t like the TKC 80 21” knobbies. They cup quick unlike the big blocks on Shinko and Kenda 21”. My 804/805 on the F850GSA are at 2100ish miles and rear is still good.
Thanks, that's what I'll be putting the tires on, 850!

I have been running the shinko 804 front and mites E-07 dakar rear for a while on my Vstrom they are sitting at a little over 6000 miles with a lot of wear left and that's with riding around 2000 miles two up with the wife
I will buy another set for sure

I have been running the shinko 804 front and mites E-07 dakar rear for a while on my Vstrom they are sitting at a little over 6000 miles with a lot of wear left and that's with riding around 2000 miles two up with the wife
I will buy another set for sure
Hope you dig 'em as much as I do.

I've always heard the TKC-70 rear sucked on wet pavement, but dang that tire is downright dangerous!

I was going around a 60 mph corner after it rained on my 390 Adventure and the back end started to spin out. I've never had anything like that happen before. From knobbies to sport bike tires, they have all provided more traction in the wet pavement than this tire does.

All day long, if I hit some wet pavement at any turn angle, the back end would get wonky. I can't get it off the bike fast enough.

Trailmax Mission going on there ASAP.

I've always heard the TKC-70 rear sucked on wet pavement, but dang that tire is downright dangerous!

I was going around a 60 mph corner after it rained on my 390 Adventure and the back end started to spin out. I've never had anything like that happen before. From knobbies to sport bike tires, they have all provided more traction in the wet pavement than this tire does.

All day long, if I hit some wet pavement at any turn angle, the back end would get wonky. I can't get it off the bike fast enough.

Trailmax Mission going on there ASAP.
On the right side, there is a grip that will work in between stop and full throttle. Just a FYI😂

I think this will outlast any “Which Oil” thread. :lol2:

Back