• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Adv ride from Austin to birdsong outpost in dryden Texas

Reaction score
Home safe. Awesome group, awesome ride. Thanks for everything. Great planning and route Ken, you know your stuff. Thanks John and Dave and Dao. Good seeing you again Bill.
By far, the best ride ive been on in Tejas! Cant wait for the next one.

Re: 5/22-5/24 Adv Ride explore Dryden TX ranch property

Home safe and sound as well.
Thanks Ken for putting all this together. It was beyond epic to say the least.
John, Dave, Scott... I had so much fun hanging out w/ you guys.

Finally made it home myself about 45 minutes ago, whew long day. Today's route got mandatory detours after the low water crossings outside of Junction were 3-5 ft deep running rapids. But no rain today, was a beautiful day.

Fantastic ride Ken! All new faces but it was a great group to ride with.

_

Pics please!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teaser

attachment.php

Pics please!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• Dao in the mud.jpg
    Dao in the mud.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 510

Teaser 2
attachment.php

Attachments

• birdsong overlook.jpg
    birdsong overlook.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 492

I see you got my best side in each of those photos.

First photo everybody's concerned, getting Dao's bike upright, assessing damage and he's just standing there checking his text messages. Lol

_

Confronted this, coming back home via Junction, TX.

:giveup:
attachment.php

:photo:
attachment.php

:angryfire
attachment.php

Attachments

• Img_0359_XSML.jpg
    Img_0359_XSML.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 522
  • Img_0363_XSML.jpg
    Img_0363_XSML.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 493
  • Img_0364_XSML.jpg
    Img_0364_XSML.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 514

I
.... getting Dao's bike upright, assessing damage and he's just standing there checking his text messages. Lol

_

...no, I wasn't checking my text. I was seeing how much farther before we find us a Starbucks :lol2:

I kept saying (to myself)...."these guys don't know where to find a starbucks...I have no idea why I'm riding with them..."

Here, they're quibbling about which way is the faster way to a starbucks...

attachment.php

... perhaps going through the tunnel's the quicker way to starbucks....who knows at this point.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Img_0309_XSML.jpg
    Img_0309_XSML.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 510
Last edited:

Maybe starbucks is on the other side of this mountain....
attachment.php

Ken, standing below, was the point man. He pointed for us to go to the left side. The line that Dave took in this pic is the right one to go up. My bike didn't want to go that way. Instead it deflected off to the other side, and threw me into a trench of nothing but huge jagged bowling ball size sharp edge rocks. I cleaned it, but it wasn't pretty to say the least. Ken had the best seat in the house. He was ecstatic, cheering me on to make that commitment! I puckered my way up that crazy last man standing stuff. Couldn't believe this hippo vstrom can do that kind of trenching. But those "gong" sounds coming off the skid plate was pretty **** annoying...

Last edited:

Speaking of skid plate...mine's a brand spanking new weld 86 skid plate. Somewhere along the trail, my bike just died, and it wouldn't start up.
QUickly found out my kickstand switch & a wire got clobbered...
attachment.php

The big square rock midway at the bottom line of this photo is probably what did me in when I scraped past it.
attachment.php

Got to use my brand new suzuki tool kit to unbolt the switch off the frame, cut the wires clean off the switch, stripped them, connected them, and then Ken offered me up some trick looking wire connector that will outlast a nuclear holocaust. All's well that ends well....but I'm going to send in a request to weld 86 to add a little more material under the switch on their skid plate even though I'm going to delete the safety switch off this bike for good.

Attachments

• Img_0273.jpg
    Img_0273.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 511
  • Img_0274.jpg
    Img_0274.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:

Butter up some more popcorn, SAB.

OK, since Ken posted up a pic of my bike taking a nap by the mud hole, I may as well put the blame on equipment malfunction....
attachment.php

She's sound asleep, snoring away...
attachment.php

photo op time...
attachment.php

I will say that said malfunction will rear its ugly head again before the trip's over....

i made more popcorn for one semi-paragraph??

(tapping foot)

Ken set us up with two cabins, as well as having the owner stock us up w/ a large tube of ground meat, hamburger buns, charcoal, eggs, sausage, cheese, tortillas, 2 cases of beer, and two 5 gal cans full of fuel.
All the comforts of home out in the middle of nowhere. IT doesn't get any better,nor as tranquil, as this.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Img_0322.jpg
    Img_0322.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 453
  • Img_0323.jpg
    Img_0323.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 459
  • Img_0325.jpg
    Img_0325.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 466
  • Img_0324.jpg
    Img_0324.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 482
  • Img_0293.jpg
    Img_0293.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 457

Man, all this posting is making me hungry....time to make me some grub...

WHich reminds me of these fabulous chalupas we had for lunch on our way into Dryden. This lunch plate and ice tea for $9...simply delicious!
attachment.php

Doesn't take much to make me smile when it comes to food...:eat:
attachment.php

Stay tuned...i'm off to do some family stuff for now.

Attachments

• Img_0252.jpg
    Img_0252.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 448
  • Img_0253.jpg
    Img_0253.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 473

Cool. I'm glad you are alive and well. More pics and story please.

a pic of the gang...
attachment.php

Dave on his Super Tenere:
attachment.php

John on his Triumph Tiger 800:
attachment.php

Scott & his KLR650 w/ big bore kit:
attachment.php

Ken Ingram on his Super Tenere:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Img_0320.jpg
    Img_0320.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 417
  • Img_0318.jpg
    Img_0318.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 424
  • Img_0281.jpg
    Img_0281.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 428
  • Img_0288.jpg
    Img_0288.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 416
  • Img_0280.jpg
    Img_0280.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 411

One point during the day, Ken wanted to lead us down a dirt service road that runs along the railroad tracks. So We got off pavement and started our dirt adventure here, in front of a church too. Good omen? Of course!:rofl:
attachment.php

From what I can remember, this was to be a short 5-10 mile run along the service road, and then we would come on out on the main road.
attachment.php

Ken pulled through once again. The riding was just simply amazing! We were bookin' it hard , taking no prisoners. Pin and :lol2:
Look at that winding dirt road along the railroad! :rider::rider:

attachment.php

Then midway, we had to climb up the side of a mountain, the same climb I described earlier:
attachment.php

Then after we got over and through to the back side of the mountain,
attachment.php

Everyone pulled over.

Attachments

• Img_0305.jpg
    Img_0305.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 209
  • Img_0311.jpg
    Img_0311.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 398
  • Img_0299.jpg
    Img_0299.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 415
  • Img_0298.jpg
    Img_0298.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 389
  • Img_0312.jpg
    Img_0312.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 400

OK, I'm going to tie it all in.

The road had been washed out, eroded to the point that we had very few options open to us on these big ol' bikes.
attachment.php

ANd even if we did manage to make it through the soft sandy wash out, the climb immediately after that won't have any distance to get a run up it. You can see the hard right turn in the pic, with a bunch of boulders that had to be conquered while on the gas. We put a vote to it, and majority said, pass.
attachment.php

So now we get to go back down the side of the mountain, and at some point on the way back, we found an alternate path as it was so close to the main road. BUT! there was no easy way through it. Either go up an even nastier climb and possibly lead us to a dead end, or ride alongside the railroad track for a mile or two until we can bail out onto the dirt service road. Guess what we agreed to do?
attachment.php

CRAZY, ain't it! :eek2: I know! Not only that, it was drizzling too, so the black rocks and the railroad ties got slicker than ice.

After about a mile or two riding as close as I can along the edge of the rail, my bike got hypnotized by all the rail road ties whizzing by her, and well, she took a nap on me once again.
attachment.php

Scott had gone so far ahead, we couldn't even see him anymore. How much farther must we continue along the railroad track until we can get back on the dirt road? Ken noticed a dirt road on the other side of the track, so he jumped the track, went to the other side to scout ahead. That guy - he just blows my mind away w/ what he can do on his Tenere.

attachment.php

Then we see Scott coming towards us on the rail road track, lights flickering on hi/lo/hi/lo. We freaked out thinking he's trying to tell us a train's coming. SO we moved helmets, camelbacks, bikes out of harm's way.
Thank goodness, He brings news that the end of all this madness is but a 1/4, 1/2 mile away. The service road is right around the bend, and a mile after that, a gas station awaits us. So he spins the tail end of his KLR around by hand.:clap: like it weighs nothing.

attachment.php

By now, Ken had returned, saying the other side of the track is a dead end. SO we helped him jump the tracks again.
attachment.php

Then we rode on out of there. About a mile before we got on the road, the train comes down the tracks.
attachment.php

All that work, and still no Starbucks!

Attachments

• Img_0305.jpg
    Img_0305.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 393
  • Img_0317.jpg
    Img_0317.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 412
  • Img_0315.jpg
    Img_0315.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 420
  • Img_0321.jpg
    Img_0321.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 391
  • Img_0313.jpg
    Img_0313.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 415

OMG!
ok. thanks. that was a good bedtime story.
look forward to next chapter.

:sun:

Back