• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Adventure Quest - NW Arkansas May 23-24, 2009

I see I can't edit the last post....

After getting my WR250 dual sported out last weekend, I bought a WR450, I will be switching all my items to that bike if all is good mechanically, that will be the bike I would be taking.

Routes: I've planned 6 different routes for us to explore. I haven't ridden any of these routes yet, so this will be a ride of exploration. Here are the routes in .gpx format. Right click and save to your hard drive. When you open any of the routes, don't recalculate them. Quite a few of the roads are not on the map so I used direct routing (vs auto routing) on these routes. If your GPS recalculates the route you will most likely not display correctly. The 6 Routes

:tab It would really help if you put in more way points so that it is more obvious which roads you intend people to travel. I am sure, that you intend this to be used in conjunction with written directions, but it is easier if we just have more breadcrumbs on the route so that the straight lines more closely follow the route.

:tab Also, my experience is that the stuff NW of town is more difficult that the stuff to the NE. The NW stuff was the first day of that report I posted, definitely class 3 in many places and I would not want to see anyone in there on a Strom or other "Adventure" bike. KLR's can do it but it will be tough in places for inexperienced riders, especially if there is any rain right before the trip. The stuff to the NE is mostly the nice graded stuff that any bike could ride. Even though it is not real technical, a lot of it is still really fun just because it is twisty and scenic.

:tab I also found that just because the maps show there being a numbered forest road, it does not mean that you will in fact be able to access that road. We ran into quite a few locked gates and dead ends. This will definitely be an exploratory trip. For anyone running a GPS, PLEASE save your tracks! If you get them to Richard after the trip, he can use them to better plan events for the future ;-)

Will the Quest work with breadcrumbs and these routes?

Hey Guys,

I'm planning on providing maps for each group of riders.

I'm using the Ozark National Forest map as it is the best map I've found. It not only seems to be quite accurate but it appears to be appreciable more accurate than City Navigator, Google Maps, or the DeLorme Atlas. Because it seems to be the most accurate map I used it for planning the 6 routes.

I'm making copies of the pertinent sections of this map and will be bringing them with me to pass out to you guys. I think/hope that when you cross reference the map and the GPS routes you will be easily able to navigate the intended roads.

If anyone wants the full map, give the forest service in that part of Arkansas a call and I think they can sell you one over the phone and mail it to you. I suggest buying one now so you can scope it out prior to this ride. Call the main office in forest service office Russellville at 479-968-2354 and ask if they can send you an Ozark National Forest map.

Alternatively, you can purchase a map during the ride if the route you are on goes by one of the forest service offices and that office has one in stock.

Using Hwy 21 out of Clarksville as the demarcation line between east/west, 3 of the routes are in the NW area and 3 of them are in the NE area. My recon last month was all in the NW area and the unmaintained roads were class 3. I haven't ridden the NE area yet (but I will this trip) so I refer riders to Scott's comments as to the level of difficulty of the unmaintaned roads in the NE area.

And, finally, Scott hit the nail squarely on the head - this is an exploratory trip. So, bring your sense of adventure and exploration with you and know that you will be blazing a trail for the dual sport adventure riding community during this ride.

A suggestion: if you contact the Forest Service or any other "official", do not tell them you are part of a group or organized ride. Many parts of that area of Arkansas is National land and any "organized" group may be required to have a permit. RL Lemke put on the Fall Color Tour for many years in that same exact area and found it harder and harder each year to be granted a permit. Finally, the last couple of years, he just said it was riders who happened to show up at the same time and place to ride and there was no organized intent.

Richard,

Please help my ineptness. Right clicking on the route files only gives the option of saving file as an .hml file type. What am I doing wrong? Could you post the actual gpx files with the gpx extension?

Thanks,
Bill

Probably an issue with associated file types on your side. The files actually have a gps extention. Just manually change extension when you save. If you have Windows set to hide known file extensions that can mess you up a little too.

Bill,

Did you get the issue worked out on the gps files?

try saving the xml file and open with map source and save as a GBD file

as far as petrol goes:

rte 1 & 2: gas in Combs, nothing near Cass?
rte 3 & 4: gas in Fallsville
rte 5 & 6: gas in Sand Gap

not these are big name gas stations, just country stores with old pump from what I see in google; they could be closed or empty, maybe ill buy the Clarke tank

Welp, I think I'm going. Gonna double check w/ the bossman, make sure I can get a little leeway with the schedule, then I'll make my reservations later today.

Gonna ride my DRZ up there from Texarkana, TX. Take the scenic route. =P

hamish,

You're welcome, but it was Woodbutcher that made the suggestion. Gotta give him the credit because he is way, way smarter about the GPS than I.

Hey guys, I just made my reservations. I'm gonna be there Friday night, stay Sat and Sun, head back Monday.

I'm still debating as to tow or ride my plated DRZ400E out there.

This'll be my first semi-organized ride, and I do intend to go on the Mexico trip also.

Looking forward to see you guys!

--Joseph from Texarkana

Also, my DRZ currently has a range of 80-90 miles before I hit reserve. Is this going to be an issue on this trip?

Stock tank, whatever that size is. I forget.

The 70-80 miles range is only when offroading and showing out, but I'm curious as to how far our gas stops are gonna be.

I've also added a full Yoshi exhaust, and removed the snorkel from the airbox. I jetted accordingly, which is probably a bit rich. My highway mpg hasn't been affected that much, but when offroad only (ie trails / hills, not gravel roads) mileage dropped drastically.

I think I got my welding taken care of in Galeana :thumb:

I might very well need a tube though. :rofl:

Is Big A gonna be there?

I think I got my welding taken care of in Galeana :thumb:

I might very well need a tube though. :rofl:

Is Big A gonna be there?

No Big A is not gonna make it this time , doing another trip the next weekend . Hope you can make it , see ya there if you do .
Rick M

Are NC hillbilly's welcome at this little get-together???

Kenny

Come on down Kenny. I can buy that beer you owe me..... or I mean you can buy that beer that I owe you..... Heck, as long as we're buyin'/drinkin' a beer :rofl:

Back